Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th September 2008, 16:42   #1
Senior - BHPian

Gypsy With Mivec Engine !!

Hi All,

I was discussing the possibility of using the Mivec 1.6L engine in a Maruti Gypsy.

Has anyone heard or seen any such conversion ? I think not ! For that matter I have not even heard of a turbo charged Gypsy.

Would like to know views of fellow members. Is there any downside to it ? Is it a good idea to turbo the Gypsy King's OE engine ? If the stock Swift can be TC'd why not a Gypsy King !!

Let your views flow !!

Cheers
Old 6th September 2008, 18:23   #2
Senior - BHPian

What is this Gypsy going to be used for Ricky?
Old 6th September 2008, 18:46   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iraghava View Post
What is this Gypsy going to be used for Ricky?

That is a million dollar question !! probably just a fun car !! I am not into serious off roading & stuff, so it's probably going to be a joy ride car for the kids.

Just that SUV's allways fascinate me & I thought this may be the cheapest one to own with ample power.

Cheers
Old 6th September 2008, 21:17   #4
Senior - BHPian

can be turboed easily !!
Old 6th September 2008, 22:23   #5
Senior - BHPian

It's a very poor riding machine for on-road purposes. You'll have to work on the suspension too to improve this. Do you really wanna go this deep into a project?
Old 6th September 2008, 22:45   #6
BHPian

You can try to get a 1995 - 1998 model Pajero 3.5 V6 2 Door Short wheelbase , they are now selling for Under 5lacs in the Market.

They are fast and ride/handle wayyyyy better than the Gypsy.

Parts are easy to source and any good mechanic can maintain it easily.
Old 6th September 2008, 23:31   #7
Senior - BHPian

So it's going to be a hotrod still vehicle, there was a Grand vetara conversion in the UK with a 3.5 liter V8 engine, lowered to get the CG lower and big tyres to handle 300 BHP[it came on Top gear time when vicky was with TG]. Have seen Turboed samurais in UK..they are great off roaders.
Old 7th September 2008, 00:19   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

You'll need to make it capable and willing to handle that extra power the way it should. Else, there's a probable risk that it would end up a straight-line wonder only.
Old 7th September 2008, 08:38   #9
Senior - BHPian

Looks like the time is taking a toll on you.Haha.It happened to me too when i was in this search.better idea still.get a junked jonga and fit it with a 407 engine.and big big wheels and tires and smash other people's cars who try to get into your lane in a traffic jam.
Old 7th September 2008, 09:11   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mura View Post
You can try to get a 1995 - 1998 model Pajero 3.5 V6 2 Door Short wheelbase , they are now selling for Under 5lacs in the Market.

.... Parts are easy to source and any good mechanic can maintain it easily.
@Mura,
I would be interested in the SWB Pajero. Any there in the market? PM me please.

Cheers,
Old 7th September 2008, 09:23   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navpreet318 View Post
Looks like the time is taking a toll on you.Haha.It happened to me too when i was in this search.better idea still.get a junked jonga and fit it with a 407 engine.and big big wheels and tires and smash other people's cars who try to get into your lane in a traffic jam.

"Hinsa ka prachaar mat karo !!" (Do not preach violence) . It is just that I was thinking of a Rubicon, but as that is not available here & even if it is, it'd cost a fair bit.

So I thought why not put in a serious engine, into the Gypsy & go Rock 'n' Roll I have been looking out for a SWB Pajero as Mura has suggested, but have not been able to get one in decent shape so far.

I do understand that the big gun of an engine would entail mods on brakes & suspension, in order to use that power effectively.

Let's see I was hoping to get some sound advice on the viability of the "idea". As i remember no one on the forum has a TC'd or Mivec engined Gypsy. My only area of concern on the mivec is - would the brakes & suspension (even upgraded) be able to handle the insane power of the Mivec...

Just picture this at the Stop light - some kid with flashy alloys & LOUD music looks at this "mere gypsy" driven by a not so young man & he smirks !! The lights turn green & with a screeeeech the Gypsy leaves him in this cloud of dust !! LOL LOL The scenario is too amusing LOL LOL !!!

The one major concern I have is the ride quality as Ishaan has pointed out. I am sure there would be ways of sorting that out (I hope) !!

Cheers

Last edited by Ricky_63 : 7th September 2008 at 09:30.
Old 7th September 2008, 10:49   #12
BHPian

Ahh! Finally Ricky you have spilled the beans, I went to Arush with a Jeep project and he told me you were interested in a similar project! He suggested me the Gypsy too.
If you are really keen on the Gypsy, then try and get the latest model possible in the MG413W series and TC the stock engine.
Do keep in mind that the Gypsy has a longitudanally mounted engine with a 4x4 gearbox, so whatever swaps you might be considering, do keep the above in mind as the tranny needs to be mated to the new engine.
Also keep in mind the weight of the new engine as a heavy one would be unsafe an might break the mounts.
The Gypsy's chasis is a good one but am not too sure if it can handle the power of the MIVEC or if the chasis is strong enough to handle the torque.
Do consider the SX4's/Baleno's 1.6L engine as well, but it will be hard to source unless you get lucky with a scrapped one in Mayapuri.
Dont even think of a diesel on the Gypsy, it will not be possible to legally endorse the vehicle in Delhi.
Old 7th September 2008, 16:33   #13
Senior - BHPian

@ Abhik

I do realize that the mounts are to be "strong" (goes without saying).
The chasis is quite capable of handling the power of the Mivec. If found wanting, reinforcement is an option, though I doubt it'd be required. The mating of the engine & gearbox needs an adapter plate. The worrysome issue will be the brakes.

Thanks for your suggestions

Cheers
Old 7th September 2008, 20:37   #14
Senior - BHPian

Have you considered a baleno engine in a gypsy?
It is more easy and less trouble of the install.
Old 7th September 2008, 21:02   #15
Senior - BHPian

^+ cheaper too.servicable at your local mech.low on maintenance as its not too high a compression.then turbo it.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks