BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by alias View Post
sorry about the misunderstanding buddy
No issues pal.

[quote=vinayvtec;970059]
Quote:
Originally Posted by alias View Post

If you read the complete Thread it’s speaking about Honda, so we wanted to know which one variant he is referring to VTEC/1.5/1.3 so it would help in suggesting a better one.

It was not mentioned like VTEC 1.5/ VTEC 1.3 and yes City VTEC is 1.5 L
Vinay, thanks for clarifying it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnda View Post
Hi, I got in this afternoon... i went to Sundram honda cuz i wanted to get my right head lamp replaced. i had a slight issue when i was traveling, I took a look at a depo head lamp at 'Alagandra' . But I'm going with the Honda one. I had a local Agfa muffler put on for the trip and there has been a drop in the FE and power, anyways.
I can msg you direct maybe cuz in a newbie or also that i dont know my way around. You can PM me the detail n i'll get intouch with you.
One more thing for all - when you say 'header' is it the whole exhaust system, Like In this case the center piece muffler is also called a 'B' piece, with A at the engine and C as the tail piece...( i may have raced and driven old cars but i'n alien to a lot of the lingo and terminology)
Cheers!!
Joe, you know whom to talk to in Sundaram Honda to get things sorted out. Call me anytime you need help.

The headers are just the first part of your exhaust system, so going by your terminology, it would just be Part "A"... B&C being the other two parts (intermediate muffler and the end can). Even with the headers like mine, you would still need a good FFE (free flow exhaust) to take advantage of them. You have the option to make it sound loud or muted according to your choice. To get an idea, you can take a look at my car today or tomorrow and then decide if it is to your liking.

Be warned though, once you do it, you might want to go the extra distance and get your intake also done

Last edited by Jaggu : 14th October 2008 at 14:48. Reason: email id removed as requested by johnda
Old 10th September 2008, 09:54   #17
BHPian

Thanks a lot for your time and valuable input. You're a 'Cool guy with a Cooler Car' will take your advice. Thank you.
Joe
Old 10th September 2008, 12:41   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnda View Post
Thanks a lot for your time and valuable input. You're a 'Cool guy with a Cooler Car' will take your advice. Thank you.
Joe
No thanks needed pal, just happy to be of help.

So, if my understanding is right, you are going in for the stock replacement and not a full fledged FFE (Free Flow Exhaust) right?

Your car is in mint condition after 8 years so I can understand it will be hard for you to start on the mods. Maybe once you have clocked some mileage and when you feel bored, you can think of the mods. We are here when you need us
Old 11th September 2008, 11:43   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by quicksilver View Post
No thanks needed pal, just happy to be of help.

So, if my understanding is right, you are going in for the stock replacement and not a full fledged FFE (Free Flow Exhaust) right?

Your car is in mint condition after 8 years so I can understand it will be hard for you to start on the mods. Maybe once you have clocked some mileage and when you feel bored, you can think of the mods. We are here when you need us
Yes, You are right, I'm not going in for the FFE now, I head back home tomorrow morning, n nice to know that I count on Bhpians for any and all support. Thus continue to keep my car in good condition. Excellent!!! Thanks Quick Silver.
Regards.

joe
Old 12th September 2008, 13:21   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by quicksilver View Post
Given the fact that you are a pro, I would have to ask you pal, have to checked out the specific headers in question before you posted that comment? We are not talking about "some nonsense performance" shops here, but a properly designed header.

The fact that there are multiple users in this forum that are happy with the product after using it for more than a year is not something that can be discounted so easily.

Firstly, i am no "pro". And it was not myself that was talking about when I made that comment. So please re check what i have posted.

Secondly, I dont think that from any angle i implify that your headers/rushab's headers are made by "some nonsense performance shops".
I was talking about the various other cheap ones you get in the market. Again, re check what I have posted.

All i was saying is that instead of putting headers for 17k, you can get a whole exhaust system for around 12k. And that, to a normal sane person sounds like a better option.

Also, i sense hostility and sarcasm in your post which is uncalled for.

Last edited by Cyrus43 : 12th September 2008 at 13:24.
Old 12th September 2008, 15:42   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyrus43 View Post
Firstly, i am no "pro". And it was not myself that was talking about when I made that comment. So please re check what i have posted.
Secondly, I dont think that from any angle i implify that your headers/rushab's headers are made by "some nonsense performance shops".
I was talking about the various other cheap ones you get in the market. Again, re check what I have posted.
Sorry, I mis-understood your earlier post, have just gone back and re-read it to understand what you meant. Not sure if it was the punctuation, or the way the sentences were formed, I had earlier understood that the reply came from a pro who was doing it for 30 years. My mistake and I apologize for that pal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyrus43 View Post
Also, i sense hostility and sarcasm in your post which is uncalled for.
Nah, that was neither intentional nor implied. I am just as passionate about my cars as anyone else here and may be jumped the trigger to clear the fact that the headers were worth the money paid.
Old 12th September 2008, 16:58   #22
Senior - BHPian

We just can't say which exhaust system works better unless a dyno test has been done.

Without any data, there is no point fighting over it.

No matter what kind of header you go in for, it will show you gains in performance (as long as the calculations are correct). So please dont judge an exhaust based on the owners "feel good" factor.

A dyno test could provide some interesting.....maybe even shocking results.

Shan2nu
Old 12th September 2008, 20:04   #23
Senior - BHPian

I actually went for automech headers + complete exhaust including end can and it cost me 12k. Viper had also quoted a similar figure but at that time, i was not sure who i will get it installed in chennai so i ended up going for automech who had a dealer in chennai who ( i later realised ) was just for fitting the exhaust ( not for any other performance related purposes )
if u ask me whether I am happy with automech units - well i was really impressed and definetly felt the difference in the initial 4-6 months. after that i started feeling the car was back to original state ( maybe it was simply a case of having gotten used to whatever difference they made )

but i wonder whether the FFE needs more frequent "decarbonisation" than the stock one since ( i presume ) with a FFE, the carbon/particulate emissions are more

net net - i believe its possible to get a good FFE ( if not excellent/top notch) for an total of Rs12-13K for the OHC. of course, the more expensive ones would be better ( for the extra you pay )
Old 12th September 2008, 20:30   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shan2nu View Post
We just can't say which exhaust system works better unless a dyno test has been done.

Without any data, there is no point fighting over it.

No matter what kind of header you go in for, it will show you gains in performance (as long as the calculations are correct). So please dont judge an exhaust based on the owners "feel good" factor.

A dyno test could provide some interesting.....maybe even shocking results.

Shan2nu
Shan2nu, I tend to (respectfully) disagree with you on some regards. It is not always going to be easy to do a dyano test on these stuff. We may need two cars of the same spec (with similar or no mods) available for the dyno, one with the headers and one without, to do a comparitive study.

Also, I am a bit of an old school guy, where we rely more on user experience than a dyno for simple stuff (I do have a lot of respect for the work that people like Karan do... in fact, one of my current cars was done by Karan originally and I wish I could put it on the dyno to check the real WHP).

Just to note, the thread starter had decided to stay with the stock setup since his car is otherwise in virgin condition and he does not wish to do any mods as of now.

Think it is time to close the thread?
Old 12th September 2008, 21:09   #25
BHPian

Hi all of you, this is johnda, I've read all your replies n must say that the intention of this thread was to have opions, ideas n advice concerning the muffler replcement. I don't think that's where this will go. So moderators pls close this thread.
thanks

Joe
Old 12th September 2008, 22:05   #26
Senior - BHPian

Before the mods close this thread, id like to post this link. It's a test conducted on an engine using various header designs. It might be useful.

Exhaust Header Dyno Test - Circle Track Magazine

Shan2nu
Old 28th May 2009, 18:02   #27
BHPian

What are your opinions on putting my stock muffler at the end of a free flow ? Car is OHC and free flow is by Raj Hingorani. I can't stand the bass any more.
Old 29th May 2009, 08:37   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by di1in View Post
What are your opinions on putting my stock muffler at the end of a free flow ? Car is OHC and free flow is by Raj Hingorani. I can't stand the bass any more.
QuickSliver had an end-can that was not all low end! he had a pleasant pur which gave the car some subtle power.(didn't look or sound like free flow - but the car Flowed Freely )PM him and get the details.
Old 29th May 2009, 08:58   #29
BHPian

Before one goes ballistic about prices, we should know what we are getting. The quality of the Greddy headers is above anything I have seen in India. The ID, the tuned length, the quality of welds everything is way above what I have seen on Indian headers.

Whether its worth 17k thats quite personal. I have not used these but looks really good.
Old 29th May 2009, 10:33   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by di1in View Post
Having the stock OEM end pipe which has a smaller diameter, will increase the back pressure and hence a noticeable drop in performance. Yes, this will help mute the exhaust note but on the expense of a drop in performance too. To reap the full benefits of the FFE, its better to have a wide dia end pipe.

How about shoving more glass wool into the end can, I guess that might help to some extent. Did that for my RX's exhaust when it was too noisy.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks