Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories

Search this Thread
Old 12th May 2009, 01:22   #76
BHPian

Just got my ignition start button today. The kit contains a toggle switch and a press button with red light in it. In my kit i have to turn key by one step and the rest did on the toggle switch and button. When i hold the button the light on it burns. To stop the engine i have to close the toggle switch flap. It look so special, i always had a dream of such kind of startup kit. Fix it and enjoy.
Old 12th May 2009, 03:35   #77
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiki
Le Mans start

The permanent pits and pit straight for both the Circuit de la Sarthe and Bugatti Circuit.

The race traditionally began with what became known as the Le Mans start, in which cars were lined up alongside the pit wall in the order in which they qualified. The starting drivers would stand on the opposite side of the front stretch. When the French flag dropped to signify the start, the drivers would run across the track to their cars, which they would have to enter and start without assistance, before driving away. This became a safety issue in the late 1960s when drivers would ignore their safety harnesses, a recent invention. This led to drivers running the first few laps either improperly harnessed due to attempting to do it while driving or sometimes not even harnessed at all, leading to several deaths when cars were involved in accidents due to the bunched field at the start.
This starting method inspired Porsche to locate the ignition key switch to the left of the steering wheel. This allowed the driver to use his left hand to start the engine, and his right hand to put the transmission into gear. This location of the ignition key switch is still found today on all Porsche models.
a quote from wiki on 24hours of lemans, and how the push button key is placed.
Old 12th May 2009, 14:21   #78
knp
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankmehta View Post
COST: ABOUT 2K
its not easy to get my button for reasons not known to me. maybe cos of the amount of time and skill needed for installation which shop ppl think is a waste.
I think that it's overpriced. You can get a similar or even a better one for 500/- from Dealextreme.
DealExtreme: $11.99 Blue Indicator Light Engine Push-Start Button Set for Auto-Refitting (DC 12V)
You can also find the installation instructions from the user review comments (scroll down on that product page). It looks easy to install.
I just placed an order for two pieces. There are few other varieties in the same price range.
Old 12th May 2009, 16:26   #79
Senior - BHPian

i found 6 of them, and none of them are on the gear knob.

this one is quite cool! in fact awesome, but very expensive. and looks slightly cheap if not installed in the right place
DealExtreme: $39.64 Flip-up Start Ignition Switch Panel and Accessories for Racing Sport (DC 12V)
Old 15th May 2009, 20:28   #80
BHPian

Some snaps of my cockpit!

Check out the push button start that i cut into a small size to fit in my switch port!
Next am gonna fix engine cut-off switch in the choke port.
Attached Thumbnails
Push Button Start / Ignition-14052009302.jpg  

k_shanz is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th February 2010, 19:20   #81
Senior - BHPian

Gettin' Started!!

i just wanted to know if we can install the "turn-the-key-start-the-engine" ignition from the cars on a bike and vice-verse["press-the-button-start-the-engine"(self-start) from the bikes on a car]??

Last edited by Jaggu : 14th February 2010 at 20:16. Reason: Please use Search before opening a new thread, Thanks
shyn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st October 2010, 02:06   #82
BANNED

Push Start Ignition Switch for Key start vehicles

Hope i am posting in correct section. Mods do assist.

One of USP of Nissan micra is Push Start Ignition Switch. It seems to be fascinating - a feature in premium cars.

Curious to know, is it possible to convert regular car (ignition by key) to Push Start Ignition Switch?

If yes, how do i go about it? will there be additional parts required other than push start button? Seems to be a good DIY.

I could find spare push start button on web.
Attached Thumbnails
Push Button Start / Ignition-1.jpg  

Push Button Start / Ignition-2.jpg  

Old 31st October 2010, 08:18   #83
BHPian

What car is it?

AFAIK it is difficult for cars with engine Immobiliser to have this feature as you may have to bypass it. Even if you get the button fixed, you'll have to put the key to ON position & press the button.

Micra type starting will require additional connections, but, get the install in such a way that your original ignition system is not bypassed in any way(i.e. you still require the key to insert )
Old 31st October 2010, 08:36   #84
Distinguished - BHPian

Yes, it possible to install Push button switch but as JustCause had mentioned, something similar to Micra is way too complicated and maybe impossible.
For others, you still need to insert the key and turn on the ignition. Then press the start button. Fellow bhpian "noidaboy" got this installed in his swift. Here's the video for reference.

Old 31st October 2010, 09:19   #85
Senior - BHPian

Why going back to simple push start if it is not keyless start? Because, without key less start, a mere push button start would be adding to the procedure of starting and also would look like an aftermarket fitment wherever located.
Ambassador cars switched over to keystart in 1970 from pull start. Fiats had it much before that. Heavy vehicles had only push start switches. TATA buses had lever turn starters.
Prior to that some medium/heavy vehicles had leg press starters, located at the point where Amby's had their dipper switches till early 80's.
rajeev k is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2010, 15:18   #86
BANNED

Well thanks for all info. However , even after installation and spending amount in tune 2K, if it is still a requisite to put use key, i think its better to drop idea for now.
Old 5th November 2010, 04:05   #87
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by idea View Post
Well thanks for all info. However , even after installation and spending amount in tune 2K, if it is still a requisite to put use key, i think its better to drop idea for now.
LOL.

Push Button Start / Ignition-lol.jpg

No key-insertion required. 3 toggle switches (ACC, Fuel Pump, Ignition) and an engine start button.

Car won't start unless I enter a password using inputs from the brake and throttle pedals, and other general-purpose switches in the car (AC, Service connector, etc).

Push Button Start / Ignition-lol2.jpg
pranavt is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 19th November 2010, 12:42   #88
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by pranavt View Post
LOL.

Attachment 449204

No key-insertion required. 3 toggle switches (ACC, Fuel Pump, Ignition) and an engine start button.

Car won't start unless I enter a password using inputs from the brake and throttle pedals, and other general-purpose switches in the car (AC, Service connector, etc).

Attachment 449205
I can see you are using same push button (pics posted by me earlier). Where have you sourced it from ?

Some more details on installation please?
Old 20th November 2010, 13:19   #89
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
An extremely unique setup! So, your password is obviously a preset sequence on the B & C pedals? What ECU is that?
GTO is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th November 2010, 17:08   #90
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by idea View Post
I can see you are using same push button (pics posted by me earlier). Where have you sourced it from ?

Some more details on installation please?
Dealextreme for the engine start button. As for the installation details, I just took off the steering-mounted ignition setup and adapted it to switches. It's just a bunch of electrical connections, don't know what other details are needed unless you want a complete circuit diagram.

I believe any shop which does installation of car-security systems should know how to do this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
An extremely unique setup! So, your password is obviously a preset sequence on the B & C pedals? What ECU is that?
Preset sequence using the brake and throttle pedals, apart from a couple of hidden switches which are normally used for creature-comfort accessories otherwise. Using Neptune EMS on my "standalone" Honda ECU.

Most Viewed