Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd October 2008, 21:04   #16
BHPian

Thank you guys for all your feedback. I'm planning to give a visit to Koyas (Coimbatore). After that I will decide.

But please do not stop recording your feedback. It will be helpful for others in the future.

Old 14th October 2008, 01:13   #17
BHPian

Hi MadRash,

Welcome to Coimbatore,
Certainly Koyas is worth a visit provided if you are planning for a serious up gradation in the interiors.
I have seen some of their master piece's, to put them in a single word Koyas = comfort.
Old 9th November 2008, 08:16   #18
BHPian

The truth is that the leather used for car seat covers in India at the OE level and the after market is the lowest grade corrected grain leather. And the price paid for this low quality is way too high. The only benefit is that lower grade leather does not tear as compared to synthetic stuff like PU/PVC or fabric. Art leather ( PVC/PU) is among the worst materials for car seats. It smells bad in a closed car, tears easily, and is purely cosmetic for the first few months. Simply not worth it. Might as well retain the OE fabric upholstery. And lower grade leather like what is available in India looks like hell after a couple of years. None of the inherent properties of high quality natural grain leather like a luxury feel, breathability or real durability ( looking better after use) are present in these lowest grade leather seat covers.
Old 9th November 2008, 13:50   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kärlsson View Post
Art leather ( PVC/PU) is among the worst materials for car seats. It smells bad in a closed car, tears easily, and is purely cosmetic for the first few months. Simply not worth it. Might as well retain the OE fabric upholstery.
I have a different experience and (hence) opinion on art. leather. My car seats done by Elegance in Noida, have done very well
- 5.5 years
- Still retain good fit/finish
- never 'smelled' ...
- haven't suffered any tears (well, there's a small 0.5cm one on the side of driver seat, that happened after about 5 years).
- still look clean and pretty new

So, I think you generalize too much. Depends on material and processes used by the manufacturer. That's also the case for the leather seats you mention. Go to Stanley and use Nappa leather option, and there is nothing low grade about it.
Cheers,

Last edited by lancer_rit : 9th November 2008 at 13:52.
Old 9th November 2008, 17:09   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancer_rit View Post
I have a different experience and (hence) opinion on art. leather. My car seats done by Elegance in Noida, have done very well
- 5.5 years
- Still retain good fit/finish
- never 'smelled' ...
- haven't suffered any tears (well, there's a small 0.5cm one on the side of driver seat, that happened after about 5 years).
- still look clean and pretty new

So, I think you generalize too much. Depends on material and processes used by the manufacturer. That's also the case for the leather seats you mention. Go to Stanley and use Nappa leather option, and there is nothing low grade about it.
Cheers,
Whatever makes you happy. But Nappa that is sold in India by Stanley is just a heavily finished leather starts shining and cracking after some use. I have used it and seen many my friends cars with it. For the price its not worth it.
Old 9th November 2008, 22:51   #21
BHPian

karlsson- now that you have mentioned leather or pu is not worth it, do you have any other suggestion??
Old 10th November 2008, 08:20   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by desigNation View Post
karlsson- now that you have mentioned leather or pu is not worth it, do you have any other suggestion??
Its a lifestyle decision and depends on the quality you are looking for and how much you are willing to spend.
Old 10th November 2008, 11:18   #23
BHPian

karlsson-the above mentioned is their lifestyle decision and someone whose opting for leather seats would be willing to spend or else he wouldnt come up with enquieries like this.the question is,now that we in india dont have other option other than stanley or other branded leather or pu seat makers, what can on do other than the above mentioned options??
Old 10th November 2008, 13:08   #24
BHPian

Quote:
karlsson-the above mentioned is their lifestyle decision and someone whose opting for leather seats would be willing to spend or else he wouldnt come up with enquieries like this.the question is,now that we in india dont have other option other than stanley or other branded leather or pu seat makers, what can on do other than the above mentioned options??
There are always options if one is serious about buying high quality at a good value. Not all leather is made equal. The leather that is offered in India by most well known ( Indian brands) seat cover makers is a corrected grain, and heavily finished ( pigmented) leather. This is the cheapest form of real leather and the lower grade in hide selection and has very few or none of the inherent properties of real leather upholstery. Natural grain leather is the real deal when it comes to high quality and comfort.

Top of the line Swedish Natural Grain upholstery leather in a thickness of 1.3 to 1.5 mm should cost you 35 K upwards depending on the car and is available in Bangalore.
Old 10th November 2008, 15:29   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Art leather ( PVC/PU) is among the worst materials for car seats. It smells bad in a closed car, tears easily, and is purely cosmetic for the first few months. Simply not worth it. Might as well retain the OE fabric upholstery.
I've had art leather seats in my car for over an year now and it doesn't smell and nor has it torn. The fit and finish is still as good as the day I got them and perfectly comfortable as well. At INR 4500 I would think I have more than recovered my investment through use and still have seats that look good. Assuming that decent leather seating costs a minimum of INR 20,000 I can get my art leather seats changed 4 times over for that price. I do believe there are many other members on this forum who are entirely satisfied and happy with their art leather seats.

So whilst I appreciate you might be promoting your product, I suggest you do that on the strength of your product and let the consumer decide. To try and make your product seem better in comparison with other materials and products isn't saying too much for your own. Being in the business you will appreciate that the Indian market and consumer is very price sensitive (especially in matter such as car seats). Weather conditions are not conducive for any material other than good fabric, like the type that is found on the SX4 ZXi. just my 2 cents!
Old 11th November 2008, 08:35   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kartikkumar View Post
I've had art leather seats in my car for over an year now and it doesn't smell and nor has it torn. The fit and finish is still as good as the day I got them and perfectly comfortable as well. At INR 4500 I would think I have more than recovered my investment through use and still have seats that look good. Assuming that decent leather seating costs a minimum of INR 20,000 I can get my art leather seats changed 4 times over for that price. I do believe there are many other members on this forum who are entirely satisfied and happy with their art leather seats.

So whilst I appreciate you might be promoting your product, I suggest you do that on the strength of your product and let the consumer decide. To try and make your product seem better in comparison with other materials and products isn't saying too much for your own. Being in the business you will appreciate that the Indian market and consumer is very price sensitive (especially in matter such as car seats). Weather conditions are not conducive for any material other than good fabric, like the type that is found on the SX4 ZXi. just my 2 cents!
Like I said earlier its a lifestyle choice. Some people want more luxury, quality etc.

You can always look at a car as mere transportation or lifestyle. Going by your logic, one can buy more Maruti 800 cars instead of a bigger and better car. There are lots of people satisfied with their Maruti 800's but there are also others who can afford more luxury and buy better cars.

It is purely a lifestyle choice, as in the case of any product that we buy or food we eat, the clothes we wear or how we live etc.

Thanks for your marketing advice but let us not generalize the whole 'Indian Market' as price sensitive etc.. The 'market' also consists of well travelled, educated, real people and many of them can afford to buy high quality and know enough to appreciate the distinction in a product's features. For example, just look around and see the number of luxury imported car brands being sold in India. TATA an Indian company has just bought Jaguar as we all know.

So long as it is truthful, there is nothing wrong in anyone highlighting the special features of a product, in this case leather because all leather is not of equal quality as I have mentioned in earlier post. Money is an exchange of value after all.

It is up to the prospect to make an informed buying decision based on what he or she can afford.

But if you are happy with what you have, that's great and I appreciate your views.
Old 11th November 2008, 12:03   #27
BHPian

karlsson-please do give the name or number of the shop or firm where they have good quality leather[swedish,like you mentioned].
Old 11th November 2008, 12:42   #28
BHPian

Quote:
karlsson-please do give the name or number of the shop or firm where they have good quality leather[swedish,like you mentioned].
Please take a look at the classifieds section in the forum.
Old 11th November 2008, 13:14   #29
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
The truth is that the leather used for car seat covers in India at the OE level and the after market is the lowest grade corrected grain leather.
What leather would you recommend? Brands? Qualities?

Quote:
Not all leather is made equal. The leather that is offered in India by most well known ( Indian brands) seat cover makers is a corrected grain, and heavily finished ( pigmented) leather.
Top of the line Swedish Natural Grain upholstery leather in a thickness of 1.3 to 1.5 mm should cost you 35 K upwards depending on the car and is available in Bangalore.
Karlsson, do you represent or are you commercially affiliated with a company that sells and/or installs leather for car seats?

Quote:
So long as it is truthful, there is nothing wrong in anyone highlighting the special features of a product, in this case leather because all leather is not of equal quality as I have mentioned in earlier post.
My Skoda vRS came stock with Stanley Napa/Nappa. The car is now 4 years old and I dont see a problem with it.

Quote:
Please take a look at the classifieds section in the forum.
I did see some classifieds offering leather seats in Bangalore but where in South Mumbai would one go to see your leather products?
Old 11th November 2008, 14:52   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
What leather would you recommend? Brands? Qualities?

Karlsson, do you represent or are you commercially affiliated with a company that sells and/or installs leather for car seats?

My Skoda vRS came stock with Stanley Napa/Nappa. The car is now 4 years old and I dont see a problem with it.

I did see some classifieds offering leather seats in Bangalore but where in South Mumbai would one go to see your leather products?
Hi, If you are looking for the highest quality upholstery, I would recommend Natural Grain, chrome free tanned, 1.5 mm thick bovine leather from scandinavian raw material.

Thats good if you are happy with your current skoda seats.

If you are seeking higher quality and exclusive leather upholstery instead of just something popular, please contact us via the email ID in the classifieds. Thanks.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks