Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th July 2009, 03:16   #16
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertKing View Post
This also mean that the turning redius would be decreased. Not a good option.

I have seen the video and this noice is really too irritating. You are using a petrol engine whom RPM is heigher than diesel. I have the same Koyo PS setup on my Jeep and I am quite happy as there is no sound and they are working well with the 31x10.5 R 15 tyre size. There is no sound at all.

These Koyo units are used one and it seems there is some problem with the PS pump that you have. Why do not you simply procure one more PS pump from Mayapuri and check if the sound has gone. It should not cost you more than 2-2.5 K.

What else in your opinion do you think could cause the problem ?
do u think using a smaller pulley may be a solution ?
Going for a new pump means making a new set of engine mountings if I don't get the same exact pump that I have used in the first case.
Can you help me procure a pump ? I ask because the initial pump i bought costed me about 5k.
Rest I agree with the other observations that you have made.

regards,
Abheek
Old 24th July 2009, 10:45   #17
BHPian

does fitting the PS reduce the steering radius? if not i dont really see the point.

the one thing about the gypsy that bugs me the most is the steering radius. Wish it could be smaller.

Like HALF or something.
Old 24th July 2009, 12:37   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by COUGAR View Post
does fitting the PS reduce the steering radius? if not i dont really see the point.

the one thing about the gypsy that bugs me the most is the steering radius. Wish it could be smaller.

Like HALF or something.
In my case there has been a modest reduction in the steering radius. Not by half though. I will do a video soon to illustrate this in comparison to a stock gypsy.

regards,
Abheek
Old 25th July 2009, 01:20   #19
Senior - BHPian

Ignore my comment about the stop. It wouldn't work. I wasnt't thinking properly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by abheekg View Post
@mpower The pump is basically pushing a full load. Just make sure you dont hold it there for too long. If you want you can fabricate a mechanical stop.

What do you mean by pump is pushing a full load ? What is a mechanical stop and how can i use it in my setup ?

@mpower Reducing dia of pump pulley (driven pulley) will speed up the pump not slow it down. I think you need to go the other way to reduce boost.

My understanding of the situation is :
low engine rpm ---> low Ps pump rpm ----> Less hydraulic fluid being pumped by ps pump ----> stress on the whole ps unit due to less hydraulic fluid being circulated in it ----> some amount of heating happening inside due to this ------> Abnormal noise coming out !!!

if i decrease pulley size ----> high pump rpm despite low engine rpm --------> adequate hydraulic being pumped internally irrespective of situation -----> the noise should go away (but whining may increase) (if at all the noise is coming from the pump)
[/quote]
Are you attributing the noise to the fact that the pump is not turning fast enough. How about at idle. Diesels and Petrols have the same idle speed of 800 - 1000 rpm.
Old 25th July 2009, 01:27   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post
Ignore my comment about the stop. It wouldn't work. I wasnt't thinking properly.

Are you attributing the noise to the fact that the pump is not turning fast enough. How about at idle. Diesels and Petrols have the same idle speed of 800 - 1000 rpm.
ok.
Yes I think the pump is not moving fast enough at low engine rpm states ( eg : during engine idling state ) and in this engine idle state I am trying to exert the greatest force by doing a full wheel lock.

If you take a look at the third video and listen to my narration, you may get a better idea.

thanks.

Abheek

Last edited by abheekg : 25th July 2009 at 01:28.
Old 25th July 2009, 01:34   #21
BHPian

How will servicing the suspension help ?

Someone suggested that servicing the front suspension will help. Can anyone explain how it may help and what exactly needs to be serviced ?

regards,
Abheek
Old 25th July 2009, 07:17   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertKing View Post
. I have the same Koyo PS setup on my Jeep and I am quite happy as there is no sound and they are working well with the 31x10.5 R 15 tyre size. There is no sound at all.
Quote:
Originally Posted by abheekg View Post
What else in your opinion do you think could cause the problem ?
do u think using a smaller pulley may be a solution ?
Going for a new pump means making a new set of engine mountings if I
I have heard a similar sound in my car when there was a fluid leak and the level had dropped too much. Pump was almost running dry. Check the level first and bleed the system.

Also if its the same Koyo model num as Desert King, then use the same pulley ratio as his so that its an apples to apples comparision (I dont think ratio is the problem)

If noise still persists, then return the pump and get a new one. More than likely they are all the same model.
Old 26th August 2009, 13:31   #23
BHPian

In HPS, if in the worst case scenario the fluid leaks, does the driver still has some control on the car or does it go completely out of control ?
Old 26th August 2009, 14:52   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajatsingh78 View Post
In HPS, if in the worst case scenario the fluid leaks, does the driver still has some control on the car or does it go completely out of control ?
I recently had a situation when the belt driving the ps pump from the engine broke and the pump stopped pumping hydraulic fluid to the box. the steering became hard, infact harder than the stock gypsy steering but i could control the vehicle easily. I drove the vehicle for about 10 kms before changing the belt after which the steering again became ok.

I am not sure if it was wise to drive the vehicle without the pump functioning . Is this likely to damage the power steering box ? I dont feel so.

regards,
Abheek
Old 27th August 2009, 11:06   #25
BHPian

Hey does any one know where i can buy a good PS unit apart from koyo japan or suzuki jimmny in bangalore.Can we fit any other PS unit as getting the above PS unit is little difficult in bangalore and who can fit it for me.I think couple of guys on this forum want to install PS unit in there gypsybut do not know where to get one so if some one has the source outside India maybe we can ship couple of psc to India.
Old 27th August 2009, 15:20   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikhil1300 View Post
Hey does any one know where i can buy a good PS unit apart from koyo japan or suzuki jimmny in bangalore.Can we fit any other PS unit as getting the above PS unit is little difficult in bangalore and who can fit it for me.I think couple of guys on this forum want to install PS unit in there gypsybut do not know where to get one so if some one has the source outside India maybe we can ship couple of psc to India.
One of my friend recently installed a PS unit from the Cielo which he bought from a junkyard, and this friend of mine is such a technical retard that he wont come on tbhp even after reminding him atleast 1000 times to come here and share his experience (not actually retard, but not willing to type)

No I think I HAVE to take details from him on this
Old 27th August 2009, 18:03   #27
DRC
BHPian

I am not an expert, but throwing my hat just like that.

About 2 years ago, I saw a stall in Auto expo Bangalore, some electric PS system was available for M800 and Gipsy. Can't remember the name of the company though. Worth trying to find. Vaguely remeber it was a Bangalore company.
Old 7th July 2010, 10:51   #28
BHPian

Hi,
Very useful info. Thanks a lot.

Can anyone suggest me a good, decent garage where PS can be fitted to a Gypsy?

Awaiting Reply.
Old 21st August 2010, 00:58   #29
BHPian

Hi,

Help on sourcing PS will be really helpful as i am planning to buy an Ex- Airforce Gypsy from my friend and i am looking at all the options available to make the jeep more user friendly.
Old 22nd August 2010, 19:59   #30
Senior - BHPian

Can someone assist in getting a PS Setup done for Gypsy King in Mumbai. Who can get it done.

Cheers,
Raj

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks