Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd August 2010, 13:53   #31
BHPian

Well guys just my 2 paisa on this matter, the gypsy is loved and revered because of its ruggedness and reliability. I have 1st hand experience with this as my uncle has owned one since 1993 and still the gypsy is going strong with no major or minor problems what-so-ever.

Now when u put items like power steering and all, then things get complicated. From the above posts we all can see that installing a PS unit is not a straight forward thing. So my advice to you after considering what I have read and heard is to drop the idea of a PS system. Focus on the A/C unit instead and do keep in mind that extra radiator fans will have to be installed as well when u install an A/C. You can find full details of an A/C installation in the forums.

Happy motoring
amrisharm is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th August 2010, 10:25   #32
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Now when u put items like power steering and all, then things get complicated. From the above posts we all can see that installing a PS unit is not a straight forward thing.
I completely agree with Amrish and that's precisely the reason my Classic doesn't have an after-market power steering. If reliability is important to you, best to keep things simple.
Old 24th August 2010, 10:31   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
If reliability is important to you, best to keep things simple.
I agree and I would extend that to an AC install as well. Now, if I were living in Mumbai, that would be a hard thing to do, living without AC. But in Pune, one can do that, indeed in seasons such as these, nothing like a gypsy with the windows down. All I have to figure out is how to keep the rain from streaming in, via the soft top and direct.
In summers, for three months, I just leave the thing parked.

Last edited by Sawyer : 24th August 2010 at 10:32.
Old 24th August 2010, 14:31   #34
BHPian

even in winter i think an AC is required especially on the longer drives.

I used to drive regularly to Baramati and back last year in Nov to Feb, and i would need to keep the windows rolled up to keep out the traffic pollution. It was like 2.5 hours in an oven!
Old 25th August 2010, 11:27   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverblaze View Post
Hi,

Help on sourcing PS will be really helpful as i am planning to buy an Ex- Airforce Gypsy from my friend and i am looking at all the options available to make the jeep more user friendly.
contact amanpreet he can help you
Old 20th January 2011, 15:06   #36
BHPian

Re: Power steering for Gypsy.

i have fitted ps on my gypsy .the ps was supplied by amanpreet
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifi...y-king-10.html
Old 20th January 2011, 21:42   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abheekg View Post
I recently had a situation when the belt driving the ps pump from the engine broke and the pump stopped pumping hydraulic fluid to the box. the steering became hard, infact harder than the stock gypsy steering but i could control the vehicle easily. I drove the vehicle for about 10 kms before changing the belt after which the steering again became ok.

I am not sure if it was wise to drive the vehicle without the pump functioning . Is this likely to damage the power steering box ?
The steering got harder than the stock Gypsy because of presence of stagnant oil which hampered steering instead of assisting steering. Driving in this situation for a while wont harm the system in any manner.

Fitting a smaller PS pump pulley will make the steering even more free at high speeds, besides adding more load on the pump.

What do you people think about Electronic power steering? I 'guess' it will be easier to install as it will have an electric motor to be coupled at some point and may be a sensor or two. Also, the steering will be hard at high speeds. I have less knowledge about EPS.
Old 19th May 2011, 17:41   #38
BHPian

Wish, some of the experts would give their opinion on installing the electronic power steering in a gypsy. i want to get a ps done mainly to help me while parking, but reading the above posts am not convinced about the reliability. experts pls help.
thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tejas Ingle View Post
The steering got harder than the stock Gypsy because of presence of stagnant oil which hampered steering instead of assisting steering. Driving in this situation for a while wont harm the system in any manner.

Fitting a smaller PS pump pulley will make the steering even more free at high speeds, besides adding more load on the pump.

What do you people think about Electronic power steering? I 'guess' it will be easier to install as it will have an electric motor to be coupled at some point and may be a sensor or two. Also, the steering will be hard at high speeds. I have less knowledge about EPS.
Old 20th May 2011, 00:38   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by driving always! View Post
Wish, some of the experts would give their opinion on installing the electronic power steering in a gypsy. i want to get a ps done mainly to help me while parking, but reading the above posts am not convinced about the reliability. experts pls help.
thanks
Hi buddy..
Good news for you. last week I came across a gypsy fitted with an Electronic Power Steering. The EPS unit was ordered from Singapore which comprised of a motor and the electronics as a single unit. It was coupled with the steering shaft and bolted to the body. Very few electrical connections were given to the unit and the steering was great (got a test drive). The further details were not available as the owner wasn't available. All you need to do is search for the people who can get this unit for you. Fitting isn't an issue.
Tejas Ingle is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th May 2011, 09:49   #40
BHPian

Thanks Tejas,
So that confirms what my mechanic has been telling me all along. Now, taking that logic forward, it would seem likely that a eps system that say comes with a i10 or any other car should work with gypsy. does that logic hold?
thanks

Quote:
Hi buddy..
Good news for you. last week I came across a gypsy fitted with an Electronic Power Steering. The EPS unit was ordered from Singapore which comprised of a motor and the electronics as a single unit. It was coupled with the steering shaft and bolted to the body. Very few electrical connections were given to the unit and the steering was great (got a test drive). The further details were not available as the owner wasn't available. All you need to do is search for the people who can get this unit for you. Fitting isn't an issue.
Old 20th May 2011, 11:02   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Tejas,
Now, taking that logic forward, it would seem likely that a eps system that say comes with a i10 or any other car should work with gypsy. does that logic hold?
thanks
Quiet possible. EPS is nothing but a motor with few electronics. So if the motor in i10 can handle the torque required for gypsy, then it will work. Else you can go for an EPS from a bigger vehicle like i20. That will need some research.
Old 20th May 2011, 11:10   #42
BHPian

so, let me begin scouting the mayapuri market for an eps kit. any kind of suggestions and advise is very very welcome!

Quote:
Hi buddy..
Quote:
Quiet possible. EPS is nothing but a motor with few electronics. So if the motor in i10 can handle the torque required for gypsy, then it will work. Else you can go for an EPS from a bigger vehicle like i20. That will need some research.
Old 24th April 2012, 14:02   #43
BHPian

Quote:
driving always!
so, let me begin scouting the mayapuri market for an eps kit. any kind of suggestions and advise is very very welcome!

DA! did you finally manage to source an eps kit from Mayapuri? how much did it cost, what make please do elucidate...
Old 30th April 2012, 13:07   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iMASKARAN View Post
DA! did you finally manage to source an eps kit from Mayapuri? how much did it cost, what make please do elucidate...
i haven't been able to go to mayapuri and actually get it done. but have been doing the 'cerebral' work. after having spoken to a number of people, i have decided to give the following a serious try on my gypsy:

Pick up a second hand electronic power steering kit and ps assembly of a wagon r or i 10 and try and mate it with my gypsy. the experts i have spoken to are of the view that this could work rather well. the cost of the whole exercise would come to roughly about 8k.

i now have to take out time and try it once. will report the day i do it.
Old 19th September 2013, 14:38   #45
BHPian

Quote:
Pick up a second hand electronic power steering kit and ps assembly of a wagon r or i 10 and try and mate it with my gypsy. the experts i have spoken to are of the view that this could work rather well. the cost of the whole exercise would come to roughly about 8k.

i now have to take out time and try it once. will report the day i do it.
Hi,
Well, I know this is a very old thread, but desperately hoping for a response. What became of your EPS quest? Please share your experience because I am also in a similar situation.

Cheers,
- Jai

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks