Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories

Search this Thread
Old 15th September 2008, 10:54   #1
JRD
BHPian

Esteem: Rattling doors!!

hey all,

Ive been fighting this for quite some time now, since my maruti 1000. And its still here to haunt me.

All you esteem people please suggest a permanent or atleast long term solution for these rattling esteem doors.

My esteem is 8 years old, 88000kms, door hinges changed 3 times, am considering to change the hinges again and also the door ribbons.

The reason i am considering changing the door ribbons is that i keep hearing these squishy rubber sounds from the doors as if the door is not sticking to the body like its suppose to. Just a thought

Please advise on this issue.

-JRD
Old 15th September 2008, 14:00   #2
Senior - BHPian

Get the door hinges replaced. will help a little.
Old 15th September 2008, 20:27   #3
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Not really what you are looking for, but turn the music volume up. Someone once told me "Dont get affected by what you cant fix". That's what I do to get rid of the annoying rattles. Frankly, it is impossible for most 8 - 10 year old Jap cars to stay rattle-free on our roads.
Old 16th September 2008, 11:49   #4
JRD
BHPian

@GTO: Lol, you sound like my elder brother. Turn up the volume! But any how i have been successful in keeping it rattle free till a good 6 years, but these last 2 years have brought a new set of fresh rattles.
Will keep every one updated on what happens to the rattles. (and a possible solution)
Old 24th October 2008, 12:35   #5
BHPian

Hi

Just wondering is the rattling still present ? if yes then kindly look for

- the door plastic + wooden panel inside the door itself ( generally the plastic gets britle in sun and since its lost its ELASTICITY it becomes britle and then creates rattling sound

- a small minute crack even will make rattling sound ( like the plastic grooves which catch the plastic body to the door )

( door plastic = on which the window / lock / door handle is mounted )

this was the case with my Esteem ( 2001 / 120000kms )

hope it helps

Thanks & regards
Old 24th October 2008, 13:15   #6
Senior - BHPian

A long-term rattle free Maruti car has not yet been made. Perhaps a change of hinges, some door greasing, and a better music system may help. The only permanent solution as suggested is the music system. Also, you can sell the car and that is another solution.

Even Toyota Corolla has a bit of rattles (as it has crossed the 30K mark) though far less than in experience with Maruti cars, and definitely not that I feel uncomfortable with. I get the doors greased and it becomes fine for 2-3 mths.
Old 24th October 2008, 15:54   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRD View Post
hey all,

The reason i am considering changing the door ribbons is that i keep hearing these squishy rubber sounds from the doors as if the door is not sticking to the body like its suppose to. Just a thought

Please advise on this issue.

-JRD
I had exactly the same issue and I concede it tests your patience after a while. I harped on this problem to the M.A.S.S service advisor and he promised to help me out. When I went to pick up the car in the evening, the sound was completely gone. He told me that there was a spray available with them (3M brand, I suppose) that they spray on the rubber beadings which softens them and hence the noise is arrested. Works well IMO. Try it out.
Old 24th October 2008, 16:19   #8
BHPian

We bought our first Esteem in 1995, and have had another two since then (1998 and 2001). Despite being very well looked after, ALL of them developed door rattles within a few months. Every time the car went for a service, I'd tell the Service Advisor off and have him do something about it. Sometimes the rattles went away, sometimes they didn't. Even when they did, they came back in about 4-6 weeks.

This is something that has plagued MUL products since the dawn of time (or at the very least, since the dawn of MUL). You've had a good run... 88,000 km. Changing the hinges, the beading, the runners, is like pouring money down a sinkhole. The rattles will come back to haunt you again in no time.
Old 4th February 2009, 17:12   #9
BHPian

got my door corrected on my esteem last month at Maruti service, this is quite an expensive thing. They charged me more than 400 rupees, I got to check out my bill to tell you the exact figures. If done properly they should not wear out quickly. The doors are doing fine till now,

Now I am back after a trip (speeds above 100kms consistently which could be the cause), I can hear fresh rattling from the rear. The best thing would be turn on the music or setup a FFE.

But don't all cars rattle after 6-7 years of use on Indian Roads. When I was on a hunt for a second hand cars, one of the palio's (supposed to be built like a tank) I drove in Chennai rattled a lot.
Old 4th February 2009, 21:59   #10
BHPian

Cheap cars rattle! My Swift, when driving on a potholed road, sounds like the entire precussion section of an orchestra. Lately the left front door has also developed a squeak to add to the symphony!
Old 25th May 2010, 01:03   #11

Really made me Smile...I was teribly annoyed witht the sound after a long Choc a bloc drive in Kolkata traffic in my Esteem. Its a disease of Maruti cars,still we go back to buy them.. I had a Zen with the similar problem.Sold the Zen for an Esteem to suffer similarly.Will inform you about the fate after a MASS visit ,
Old 25th May 2010, 13:20   #12
BHPian

Hi All. My alto is only 2 yrs old . It has developed rattles. I think its too early

Also the pad at the boot where the speakers will usually be mounted was not fixed properly. That's also one of the reason.
Old 25th May 2010, 16:52   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vishnu.csk View Post
Hi All. My alto is only 2 yrs old . It has developed rattles. I think its too early

Also the pad at the boot where the speakers will usually be mounted was not fixed properly. That's also one of the reason.
Only one solution to this problem, Damping, for details check threads in the ICE section.

Pramod

Most Viewed