Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 28th February 2009, 20:48   #151
BHPian

The cost of these dampers and coilovers is so high, which is the same reason i too am refraining from it for some time due to lack of Vit M.
I was thinking if only the springs could be stiffened or we could get just stiffened springs to go over the stock shock absorber to improve the OHC's handling. Do any of the above companies make just stiffer springs to go over stock shock absorbers with minimal height difference? should work out to be cheaper aswell.
Old 1st March 2009, 02:04   #152
Senior - BHPian

Stiffer spring + stock damper = FAIL. If you want a bouncy springy ride with crappy handling then its the way to go.

For the street a stock-like spring rate and appropriate damping is what would work. From the sound of it this is a huge hole in the market.

What say MPower----??
Old 1st March 2009, 09:44   #153
Senior - BHPian

What about koni FSD.I personally haven't experienced them but have heard from a few sources that they are very comfortable shocks.
Could someone who has used it throw some light on the koni FSDs.
Old 1st March 2009, 12:28   #154
Senior - BHPian

OT:
Quote:
Originally Posted by rippergeo
I heard about the used HKS set. for some one like me who thinks konis are expensive... the 90k for a used set of HKS sunds like a cruel joke.
I have not heard good things about D2 racing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by abhik
The cost of these dampers and coilovers is so high, which is the same reason i too am refraining from it for some time due to lack of Vit M.
This is exactly what I mean by "no demand".
Suspension systems cost! I believe Koni inserts are absolute VFM.
Old 1st March 2009, 19:11   #155
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrous View Post
Suspension systems cost! I believe Koni inserts are absolute VFM.
Bugger somewhere else you've said they are ridiculously priced in India, and only make sense hand-carried from abroad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by navpreet318 View Post
What about koni FSD.I personally haven't experienced them but have heard from a few sources that they are very comfortable shocks.
Could someone who has used it throw some light on the koni FSDs.
Expensive, limited application range, and I don't think they're that hot.
Old 1st March 2009, 19:41   #156
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ananthkamath View Post
Stiffer spring + stock damper = FAIL. If you want a bouncy springy ride with crappy handling then its the way to go.

For the street a stock-like spring rate and appropriate damping is what would work. From the sound of it this is a huge hole in the market.

What say MPower----??
yup, stiffer springs w/ stock damper = underdamped..&
stock springs w/ stiffer damper = overdamped...but this gives the sensation of being stiffer overall with good body control and so is used quite commonly.

Imported is expensive, but since labor is cheap what we need is some smart buggers who can take apart a stock shock, add some shims and washers and voila you have a stiffer shock.
Old 1st March 2009, 22:53   #157
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post
yup, stiffer springs w/ stock damper = underdamped..&
stock springs w/ stiffer damper = overdamped...but this gives the sensation of being stiffer overall with good body control and so is used quite commonly.
You got me confused a little here, if the end result is the above statement in bold then is'nt it kind of what we are looking for?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post
Imported is expensive, but since labor is cheap what we need is some smart buggers who can take apart a stock shock, add some shims and washers and voila you have a stiffer shock.
The trouble is where to find such a smart bugger.

Can anybody tell me if the Ikon's damper and sprigns bear any similarity to the OHCs, just had a crazy idea of swapping them according to the set-up. I mean i am sort of desparate here. OHC with 195/55 R15(i know its a wrong upsize it should be 50 profile) is still pathetic, so much so that i am scared to take it beyond 100kmph narrowly escaped two freak accidents, whereas Ikon with stock tyres and rims was a beauty even at 175kmph, so confident and poised no swaying drama at all, the Honda as compared is a drama queen.

Sorry! to hi-jack Crazy Diablo's thread but i hope you guys relate and understand my desparation if anybody has ever bothered to compare Ikon's and OHC's handling. Plus i thought its a related discussion so might help CrazyDiablo and others too.

And talking about spring rate here as Ananth put it "For the street a stock-like spring rate and appropriate damping is what would work."
Does'nt spring rate differ with every car? So if the stock spring rate is too soft how would damping help? And for dampers we are mainly looking at rebound so if the stock dampers have a slower rebound then would'nt the car bounce around less with stiffer springs?

Last edited by abhik : 1st March 2009 at 23:00.
Old 2nd March 2009, 09:10   #158
BHPian

Thanks guys, this suspension talk might help me also. But for most of us the decision is decided by our wallets. I cannot spend more on suspension than I have spend for the mods.

Nitrous: Absolutely agree,if you dont have a way of putting down that power, then the whole exercise is useless. Koni as you suggested is the only good VFM option.

Thanks Ironwolf, Clutch is doing very well. Brake I need to test if for some more time to come to a good conclusion. Initial feel is very good, infact too good.

Anant: You are spot on. Oh I could not agree more.

Navpreet: FSD are not avalable for small indian cars like mine.
Old 2nd March 2009, 10:13   #159
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikram_d View Post
You have paid a higher price for it. I bought it for 7k. It has done about 10k kms on my car now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by iceman91 View Post
yes 10.5k is a bit tooo much.
also the brake pads.
Hhhmmm. Now we all know whom to go to to get our clutches from . Vikram, Vasu anna says your clutch is not the same one as Mohit's, perhaps you should check once with him.

Amit, I was told the stage 1 clutch has 4 springs (the earlier one I had in my car) and this one with the 6 springs is the stage 2?

Mohit, so when we heading out for a drive?
Old 2nd March 2009, 10:41   #160
Senior - BHPian

I dont think the number of springs differentiates the stages.
Old 2nd March 2009, 11:14   #161
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclaren1885 View Post
Hhhmmm. Now we all know whom to go to to get our clutches from . Vikram, Vasu anna says your clutch is not the same one as Mohit's, perhaps you should check once with him.
It is the same clutch. The pricing might be varying because I bought it 4 months back.
Old 2nd March 2009, 16:21   #162
Senior - BHPian

Mohith I faintly Ron posting a review of a Koni FSD equipped esteem.He said he really liked it.soft on normal driving and stiffer as turns progress.

if they're available for the esteem,they should be for the baleno as well.
Old 2nd March 2009, 20:25   #163
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrous View Post
Don't even dream about coilovers for street/highway use. They're bloody stiff.
Infact, come watch the races and you can find these cars jumping over the tiny undulations on the race track.

Surprisingly here in the North. Coilovers are considered a "statement" I think. People use them for street use. But from what you say, it seems like it is a total waste

Cheers
Old 2nd March 2009, 20:32   #164
Senior - BHPian

Coilovers offer you the added advantage of ride height control, which is why they're considered a 'statement'. I have yet to see a stock car that necessitates the use of coilovers on street when regular inserts or damper+spring combos are available.
Old 3rd March 2009, 09:35   #165
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by v1p3r View Post
Coilovers offer you the added advantage of ride height control, which is why they're considered a 'statement'. I have yet to see a stock car that necessitates the use of coilovers on street when regular inserts or damper+spring combos are available.

Agree with what you say. But the "added advantage" of height adjustment ?? Never ever seen or heard anyone adjusting ride height.

Cheer

Last edited by Ricky_63 : 3rd March 2009 at 09:36.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks