Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 6th March 2009, 12:58   #181
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazydiablo View Post
No I am not going in for DMS, just looking at things. I dont even have that kinda budget for the suspension.

Jaggu, tom is very happy with the DMS, as he has posted recently.

I would probably looking at local options or at the max Konis. Konis Sports are retailing at around 32K plus installation.
Tom doesnt drive the car on roads so he is happy, on tarmac regular usage the sailing is choppy that it will hurt

Your choice is good.
Old 9th March 2009, 22:07   #182
BHPian

Local options are not turning up anything fruitful. Nobody can guarantee, how hard the new setup is going to be. There is no guarantee on how long it will last. The costs are not that cheap either. Another that bugs is that the Baleno shocks are gas charged.
Old 10th March 2009, 01:25   #183
Senior - BHPian

Most higher-end Indian cars have gas-charged fronts, if not all 4. Local options almost always involve draining the gas, revalving the dampers and using oil instead.
Old 10th March 2009, 01:32   #184
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Local options are not turning up anything fruitful. Nobody can guarantee, how hard the new setup is going to be. There is no guarantee on how long it will last. The costs are not that cheap either. Another that bugs is that the Baleno shocks are gas charged.
You're going through the same discovery Riju went through when he was looking for stiffer suspension options. You both could share notes.
Old 10th March 2009, 01:43   #185
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Mohit, why don't you get a strut brace fabricated along with the brace that is mounted underneath the front suspension(Sorry i dont remember what its called) .. Its supposed to make a notable difference during turn ins etc .. Its not going to cost a bomb.Why don't you give it a shot?

Edit:Ill be getting it made as soon as im done with my boards.
Old 10th March 2009, 03:32   #186
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binz View Post
Mohit, why don't you get a strut brace fabricated along with the brace that is mounted underneath the front suspension(Sorry i dont remember what its called) .. Its supposed to make a notable difference during turn ins etc .. Its not going to cost a bomb.Why don't you give it a shot?

Edit:Ill be getting it made as soon as im done with my boards.
That underside strut you are referring to is called as a "Sway Bar". But does it really help having a strut brace and a sway bar together, i mean for street use we are just looking at controlled bodyroll i.e lesser lateral movement and stiffer suspensions to control up-down or pitch and yaw(more apt for aeronautics but dont we like to fly low.)
With a strut brace and sway bar the handling will be suitable for track use and i doubt two of them together would really make a difference.
Plus i have also heard that sway bars are difficult to fit on most available Indian car models. So thats why strut braces are an easier option. Automech i believe sells them for INR 2300 a piece.

BTW where are you going to get them made from maybe i and others can order through you.
Old 10th March 2009, 08:58   #187
BHPian

Quote:
Konis Sports are retailing at around 32K plus installation.
Ask someone from the Rally circle to pick it up from Methods.
It would be lot cheaper from 32K+.

You can check with Sanjay Agarwal and see if he can help you on this.
Old 10th March 2009, 10:23   #188
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhik View Post
That underside strut you are referring to is called as a "Sway Bar". But does it really help having a strut brace and a sway bar together, i mean for street use we are just looking at controlled bodyroll i.e lesser lateral movement and stiffer suspensions to control up-down or pitch and yaw(more apt for aeronautics but dont we like to fly low.)
With a strut brace and sway bar the handling will be suitable for track use and i doubt two of them together would really make a difference.
Plus i have also heard that sway bars are difficult to fit on most available Indian car models. So thats why strut braces are an easier option. Automech i believe sells them for INR 2300 a piece.

BTW where are you going to get them made from maybe i and others can order through you.
Ah now I remember,I was recommended only a sway bar, by a baleno veteran.

As far as getting them made,you need the car to be present since the sub-frame needs to be removed,measurements taken etc.

If its a baleno then Id be more than happy to help.
Old 10th March 2009, 13:47   #189
BHPian

@V1p3r: Exactly what I thought. Dont know the quality of revalving or the reliability of the rebuild.

Yeah Mahesh, thats true. I need to talk to him. Actually I have gone through his thread innumerable times and he had come to the coclusion of pedders in the end. However he did not go through the conversion.

Binz, actually that was what was recommended to me and am searching for that also. Actually was looking at the OMP strut brace for Baleno. They have one but am not sure if they have discontinued it or not. Need to check with the OMP dealer in bangalore. As for sway bars, I am in two minds. There are none thats readily available.

Any idea what metal is used for making the strut brace and the sway bar. Is the strut brace adjustable. How do you ensure that the new sway bar is more stiffer than the old one?
Old 11th March 2009, 01:58   #190
Senior - BHPian

For the record, a sway bar is the american term for anti-roll bar. Its a torsion spring that typically attaches to the lower control arms from left to right, and increases the roll stiffness of the vehicle, thus acting like a stiffer coil spring only when the car rolls.

I'm not sure if that's what binz and abhik are referring to. To me it looked like they were talking about something that stiffens the suspension mounting structure, not the actual suspension itself.

Most indian cars already have an anti-roll bar. If a stiffer bar is available, that's the best way to improve body control in my opinion.
Old 11th March 2009, 08:43   #191
BHPian

Mohith, Don't go the thicker anti-roll bar route. If you must, no more than half mm extra in the front. Strut brace is definately a better idea. Keep looking for one.

Did you try PMing Eapen? I notice he's in Bangalore. Why not go and check out his car sometime? Any other cars you checked out?
Old 11th March 2009, 12:01   #192
BHPian

Ok before I go the anti-roll bar route, I will get a good strut brace. I have pmed eapen, lets see if he responds.
Old 11th March 2009, 13:07   #193
Senior - BHPian

While I agree that a Strut brace is vital and is another link in the chain, I feel it is very much overrated.
Keep it at the bottom of the upgrade list.

My recommendation for the first upgrade in the handling section: Koni sport yellow(adjustables).
Inserts cost 34k for a set (acc. to Eapen).Add another 2k for getting them onto the strut body.
Set the front and rear at the softest setting and drive the car around.
Based on the feedback, you could harden the rears by a click or two.

Warning: A bad Suspension setup can be very DANGEROUS.
Lift-off oversteer,etc. can just be very unforgiving. So, be cautious wrt the setup.

Last edited by nitrous : 11th March 2009 at 13:14.
Old 11th March 2009, 13:14   #194
Senior - BHPian

Agree with Nitrous, It is vital but much lower on the list.
In an earlier thread to I have mentioned, I dont have a strut brace and never felt the need for it. The difference is very very minor as compared to other mods that can improve handling.
Old 11th March 2009, 17:15   #195
BHPian

Ok so that does it, strut brace goes down the priority list, and good dampers move up. Not seen many baleno guys run strut brace also, although lots of city guys do run it.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed