Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 17th November 2010, 07:56   #301
BHPian

Just consider the rally car to be a reference point, nothing else. If they had a curve for a stock car I would have preferred posting that. I couldnt get anyone with a stock baleno to come with me.

Anything this will be again a reference point for the next run, so all in all good.

Sutripta, am not really sure about dips, which I am yet to discuss with Ron. The first dip seems to be because of the way they dyno the car I think. Am not too sure about that also, but it seems to be there in all the dyno charts. Check out the charts of Red rage.
Old 17th November 2010, 11:00   #302
BHPian

nicely modded car.. If you are still bent on selling it, please post your ad in the new classifieds. The old one is not present anymore.
Old 17th November 2010, 20:30   #303
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazydiablo View Post
Sutripta, am not really sure about dips, which I am yet to discuss with Ron. The first dip seems to be because of the way they dyno the car I think. Am not too sure about that also, but it seems to be there in all the dyno charts. Check out the charts of Red rage.
Hi,
Yes, you are right. The first dip seems to be a dyno artifact. Still, the difference in rpm is puzzling.

A couple of questions since you were there:

Was the car jacked up on the lower arm, or the chassis?
What was done to the other wheel? (How do you ensure no differential action)
OT: The brake- was it a Telma, or something else?
OT: Did anyone get a bike dynoed? (Incidentally, how do you dyno a non CV carb bike on an inertial. Would like to compare brake and inertial type readings in that case.)

Regards
Sutripta

Last edited by Sutripta : 17th November 2010 at 20:31.
Old 17th November 2010, 20:53   #304
BHPian

The car was jacked on the chassis. Both the front wheels are connected to the dyno and matched for rpm.

I am not sure about the brake.

Its a car dyno, I doubt a bike can be dynoed on this.

Last edited by crazydiablo : 17th November 2010 at 20:57.
Old 17th November 2010, 20:58   #305
Senior - BHPian

^^^
Wonder how much of an effect driveshaft angles will have.
How is rpm matched?

Bike:- adapter at drive sprocket?

Regards
Sutripta
Old 17th November 2010, 21:27   #306
Team-BHP Support

Sutripta, car was jacked only to remove the wheels, once wheels were removed the hubs were bolted on then connected to the dyno on both front wheels. Once locked to the dyno jacks were removed.
Old 17th November 2010, 21:49   #307
Senior - BHPian

^^^^
OK. That means the dynos supported the front weight of the car.

There is no mechanical lock between the two units. How were the speeds matched? Only through the control software?
Does anyone know the powerloss in a differential?

Regards
Sutripta

Last edited by Sutripta : 17th November 2010 at 21:51.
Old 17th November 2010, 22:06   #308
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sutripta View Post
^^^^
OK. That means the dynos supported the front weight of the car.

There is no mechanical lock between the two units. How were the speeds matched? Only through the control software?
Does anyone know the powerloss in a differential?

Regards
Sutripta
There is no lock in between the 2 units. What do you mean by speeds matched? The speeds have to be matched by the car itself. If they weren't the car wouldn't drive straight.

The dyno first performs a calibration to determine the drive ratio at a controlled 2000rpm. After the drive ratio is found and rpm calibrated, the run is started.
Old 17th November 2010, 22:18   #309
Senior - BHPian

^^^^
Open differential. Same torque (not speed) to both hubs.

Regards
Sutripta
Old 17th November 2010, 22:31   #310
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sutripta View Post
^^^^
Open differential. Same torque (not speed) to both hubs.

Regards
Sutripta
That's if the steering is turned, not when dead straight. Anyways if there's no lock what's the issue I don't understand? Like I said they are calibrated by running the setup at 2000rpm.
Old 17th November 2010, 22:33   #311
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid6639 View Post
That's if the steering is turned, not when dead straight. Anyways if there's no lock what's the issue I don't understand? Like I said they are calibrated by running the setup at 2000rpm.
Torque steering - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Old 17th November 2010, 22:40   #312
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by pranavt View Post
Yeah, that's the only way I figured as well, torque steer. In 4th gear even if there is torque steer on the dyno, how will it affect the reading? Just trying to understand.
Old 18th November 2010, 10:44   #313
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid6639 View Post
The dyno first performs a calibration to determine the drive ratio at a controlled 2000rpm. After the drive ratio is found and rpm calibrated, the run is started.
The run is done at 4th gear since it is closest to 1:1. There is no drive ratio taken into consideration (to make matters simple lol). also i think the losses were input based on the dyno fellow's discretion .
the only thing the guy did was match the eninge rpm to the rpm on the dyno at 2000. That too based on the stock tacho on the car which is not accurate.
Old 18th November 2010, 20:40   #314
Senior - BHPian

First of all, CrazyD, sorry for hijacking your thread. Logically these discussions should belong to one of the dynamometer threads, or to to the Red Rooster thread. Maybe the mods can move it there.

@vid, pranavt. No not talking of torque steer.

Take the case of the dyno attached to one hub with load set, and two extreme cases for the other hub: A) Hub free, and B) Hub locked.

In case A) the free hub will rotate (at 2x), the dyno hub remaining stationary.
In case B) the dyno hub will rotate (at 2x), the free hub remaining stationary.
This is what we see in real life, and is easy to envisage.

If we now attach a dyno to the previously free hub, but with the same two loadings (no load, very high load), we will get the same results.

Because of the open diff, the result will still be the same even if dyno loading is SLIGHTLY higher or lower. Theoretically both hubs will turn at the same speed only if the loadings are exactly the same. Otherwise, one hub will stop turning. Practically we do have a slight spread.

Total power output is the sum of the outputs of the two dynos, so hub speed should not matter. But the differential will come into play, and will absorb some power. Also, a machine constantly trying to correct its braking torque will not be stable. Neither will make for consistent (let alone accurate) readings.

Regards
Sutripta
Old 19th November 2010, 11:19   #315
Team-BHP Support

Isn't this what they try to rule out with the initial set up run? i saw that rpm of both the wheels were almost same when that reading was taken. They do this couple of time and was done for all cars and the machine calibrates itself and check all parameters like drive ratio etc, after this the actual runs start.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks