Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories

Search this Thread
Old 17th September 2008, 10:19   #1
Senior - BHPian

Basic Swift touring mods in Delhi (HID, skid plates, GPS mount) - what else?

Hiya,

With the Swift D+ABS only a few days away, I need to plan for other things as well besides the tyres (thanks for the feedback on that thread).

a. HID - Most of my biker buddies have stuff from fashtek, or something imported from HK/overseas. Karol bagh is flooded with chinese "bosch" stuff for bikes at 2-2.5k per H4 bulb and the occasional 6000K H3. Gurgaon has the same but more expensive!!

I am quite interested in putting something to replace ONE fog lamp, ideally with a 4300K setup. But http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifi...-fog-lamp.html has confused me!! Can junta who have less-dispersive/non-blinding affordable HID installs guide me? Must I replace both fogs?

If fogs can't illuminate well - What's the best way to mount them on the bumper?

b. Skid plates (?) - I basically want to protect the underbody from any issues during a typical himalayan drive with some arbit offroading. Would appreciate recommendations on good places/budgets to get it done as well.

c. GPS mount - Next to dash, or a suction cup based ram(?) mount? What works best for swift and doesnt cause additional rattles

What other minor mods would junta here recommend? basically for more reliability in touring than anything else. And places in Delhi to hunt for it would be highly appreciated.
Old 17th September 2008, 10:39   #2
Senior - BHPian

Do look at better tires.
Also a good set of Fog lamps will be more efficient than HID in the conditions further up north. Can get hella comets custom fit in the bumpe. This will require cutting of the oe bumper. If not comfortable with this get rallye installed. Vikram has it on his swift. they look nice as well as perform great.
Old 17th September 2008, 10:44   #3
Senior - BHPian

What about ICE, No nothing about it ?
Old 17th September 2008, 10:50   #4
BHPian

congrats for the Swift D(on the way,),i dont have much idea about the mods,but still there are few shops in karol bagh which have genuine bosch.i think the discussion was on in one the threads and are very reasonable.

BTW:how much is waiting period for swift D+ABS,ANY DISCOUNT,which dealer.??
Old 17th September 2008, 11:09   #5
Senior - BHPian

I'd suggest a 90/100 upgrade over HID's. Even though HID's are more reliable , what if they conk out/get damaged? Your odds of finding replacement bulbs are better off with regular stuff. heck you can carry your own set !
Old 17th September 2008, 12:19   #6
Senior - BHPian

Congrats on your new car.

You can get Philips original 6000k H4 for Rs.11,000 now for the headlights. You need not look for any other options. Chinese Bosch 8,000k is somewhere around Rs.6,000.

For rough road driving youre gonna need a sump guard protection plate for the engine oil pan, and a fiberglass layering over the fuel tank (thats what we do on our rally cars)
Old 17th September 2008, 12:46   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iceman91 View Post
Do look at better tires.
Also a good set of Fog lamps will be more efficient than HID in the conditions further up north. Can get hella comets custom fit in the bumpe. This will require cutting of the oe bumper. If not comfortable with this get rallye installed. Vikram has it on his swift. they look nice as well as perform great.
Tyres are a separate thread all together asked there. This aspect I may just upgrade to the ZXi tyres/alloys (vitamin M!) for better comfort.

Nope Sir. HIDs for highway safety. In Delhi fog, nothing works

Quote:
Originally Posted by low_bass_makker View Post
saar, woh audio thread pe pooch liya. gyan le liya. will do as instructed - but ICE will be minimal. Just garib stuff. dont want to cut up car much lest installation/bass itself bring rattles

Quote:
Originally Posted by ankit.jhamb View Post
congrats for the Swift D(on the way,),i dont have much idea about the mods,but still there are few shops in karol bagh which have genuine bosch.i think the discussion was on in one the threads and are very reasonable.

BTW:how much is waiting period for swift D+ABS,ANY DISCOUNT,which dealer.??
Waiting period, I'll tell you the day I get it
Dealer is same as yours!
and genuine bosch in KB? price? the 2.5k wala fogs are decent on bikes too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
I'd suggest a 90/100 upgrade over HID's. Even though HID's are more reliable , what if they conk out/get damaged? Your odds of finding replacement bulbs are better off with regular stuff. heck you can carry your own set !
Saar, am planning to upgrade headlight bulb to silverstar. The fog HID ONLY for the highway and worst conditions. And yes, HIDs won't be for main driving, only high speed runs - the trip will never depend on it.

I have heard of a couple of places for skid plate type stuff near okhla - anyone who can help with that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by autopsyche View Post
Congrats on your new car.

You can get Philips original 6000k H4 for Rs.11,000 now for the headlights. You need not look for any other options. Chinese Bosch 8,000k is somewhere around Rs.6,000.

For rough road driving youre gonna need a sump guard protection plate for the engine oil pan, and a fiberglass layering over the fuel tank (thats what we do on our rally cars)
how much does that plating cost?

I'm looking for just ONE HID (even a single HID is quite good imo). Are the philips original stuff in pairs or singles?
The other stuff is that H4 headlights just cannot handle HIDs and have horrible spread (unlike a skoda reflector) and blind oncoming traffic lots. Which is why my desire for a bumper mounted H3/fog lamp install.

Otherwise, I am quite happy ordering H7 (?) hids from hong kong for my fog light (is the swift foglamp H7?). My friend got 35W 4300K chinese stuff delivered in Delhi at 4.5k incl customs. They have held up well for four odd months. Any complications if I choose the 55W HIDs?

Last edited by phamilyman : 17th September 2008 at 13:03.
Old 17th September 2008, 13:54   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
Waiting period, I'll tell you the day I get it
Dealer is same as yours!

Be careful,my sales and service experience were not good.

also my billing date given was a week before(31/7/2008)than actual delivery date(7/8/2008),so that the sales executive could get his share in the sale(he resigned after my sale was completed).
Old 17th September 2008, 15:15   #9
Senior - BHPian

No no. I have friends

So the executive is himself making sure that I am happy, so I will get to check out the car in the yard in advance, and other small favors.

That said, any recommendations on a good service center, esp in gurgaon?
btw, Good = competent mechs on swiftD (MSIL is otherwise a company of petrolhead technicians), knowledgeable GM (to escalate things to!), and one where I can occasionally wander out on the floor to see how things are getting done.

Otherwise, the Apra workshop is quite nifty. Decent lounge, nice pantry and a relaxed atmosphere.
Old 17th September 2008, 15:25   #10

You want illumination, Forget HIDs. Go in for GE 140/110 Bulbs. With a full Redo of the Lighting Electricals using Finolex wires and Bosch cutouts. The Beams from these lights are like bloddy daylight!!!
Old 17th September 2008, 16:09   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by low_bass_makker View Post
Heheheh

Quote:
Originally Posted by iceman91 View Post
Do look at better tires.
Also a good set of Fog lamps will be more efficient than HID in the conditions further up north.
Like the man said. Nothing short of 3000k will do the trick in fog/mist. 4300k also is useless in such cases.

Quote:
In Delhi fog, nothing works.

Otherwise, I am quite happy ordering H7 (?) hids my fog light (is the swift foglamp H7?).
If you must go for HIDS then make sure its 3000k (more costly) but worthwhile. Otherwise your wasting your money with 4300k etc.

H8 / H11 - Both can be used as they share the same mount. Indian Swifts come with H8 OEM. Swifts overseas come with H11 OEM.
Old 17th September 2008, 18:51   #12
BHPian

Quote:
No no. I have friends

So the executive is himself making sure that I am happy, so I will get to check out the car in the yard in advance, and other small favors.

That said, any recommendations on a good service center, esp in gurgaon?
btw, Good = competent mechs on swiftD (MSIL is otherwise a company of petrolhead technicians), knowledgeable GM (to escalate things to!), and one where I can occasionally wander out on the floor to see how things are getting done.

Otherwise, the Apra workshop is quite nifty. Decent lounge, nice pantry and a relaxed atmosphere.

yup my experience at APRA was good(okhla)the only thing is that they are like 15kms from my house.

otherwise in there is competent in mehrauli,and apra as you have mentioned.
Old 17th September 2008, 18:59   #13
Senior - BHPian

@Jhamb bhai:I'm looking only at Gurgaon service centers Any suggesitons there?

@Soul: Weird as it may sound - I want one fog regular, one fog for HID. I am using it more for highway cruising for overnight runs (think tirthankar!) than fog. For that, other fog will do. Am aware of colors as u say.

that was useful. Lemme see what I order. I was quite happy with the 4300/6000K HIDs I've seen. Any pics of junta with 3000K HIDs? I thought OEMs kept 4300K for best illumination in most conditions! Primarily regular highway night driving - not as much fog.
Old 17th September 2008, 19:14   #14
Team-BHP Support

arre look at your signature and here you want HIDs without projectors.
Old 17th September 2008, 21:10   #15
BHPian

Quote:
@Jhamb bhai:I'm looking only at Gurgaon service centers Any suggesitons there?
you have apra competant,pasco in gurgaon.

out of these i ll stick to apra.

Most Viewed