Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st September 2008, 16:08   #1
Senior - BHPian

Esteem MPFI - The mistress

Prelude:
My trusty Ikon for 7 years has done its time with me and it is about to be sent out. While my diesels would be the daily drivers, I needed something to keep me happy during the late nights ,weekends and track days. My requirements were simple. It had to be cheap. It had to be quick.Spares should be easy.Should be very mod friendly and performance parts should be available in the south east. Most of all, it should be a jap.

Many a times,I've learnt that we go looking for things elsewhere when the perfect one is right in front of us.
I'd been spreading the word about a well maintained, recently restored esteem mpfi that was for sale. And one night, it struck my mind that It was the one I've been looking all over for. It was perfect. It was light. It was fuel efficient. It was quick.It was reliable. Spares are easy.And its the bread and butter for race tuners here. And since it belonged to an auto enthusiast and team-bhpian, it came with some pampering already.

So, I called him the next day and eventually, took her out for a spin and she blew me away.85bhp on a 870kg car taught me why Elises are so popular around the world.Although, I had some newfound respect for the european ford's handling.I have to say the stock handling of the Esteem is pathetic.
The most interesting thing about Esteem is that it costs lesser than its younger brother ,the zen.Atleast in Chennai,its the case.

This car was earlier worked upon at Electra and HI-Rev in Chennai. The same places I visit for regular maintenance.So, it came with a clean certificate.Didn't have much to think and I negotiated it for a fair price. I have to say it was gracious of 'Godseed1670' to have made this delicate matter,comfortable for me.
So,I took delivery of the bone stock car rubbing my hands with glee happy that it was gonna keep me busy.

I spent a month getting aquainted to her. Moving from a low power,good handling car to a powerful boat is quite a thing. I had to alter my driving style completely.This was more evident at the first track day i took her to. I had to enter really slow,take w-i-d-e lines and give throttle almost at the end of the corner.
And I had to let a gypsy(of all cars) overtake me.Something I've regretted at every weekend meet.

My plans for this car is to build her up slow and steady.The heart and the mind(wallet) had to come to an amicable understanding and the decision is to make one significant upgrade every month. The highest priority being handling.

This thread will be a record of all the mods and how they turn out . The ultimate goal is to do a 2:00:00 timing at the MMST.

I'd like to thank my friends Kuppy, Chikki ,PJSPEED, v1p3r, psycho and every racer and tuner in chennai whom i've gone asking for inputs.
Attached Thumbnails
Esteem MPFI - The mistress-dscn2303.jpg  

Last edited by nitrous : 21st September 2008 at 16:13.
Old 21st September 2008, 16:50   #2
BANNED

Congratulations! Mistress, eh?
No strings attached?

Enjoy Anna!
Old 21st September 2008, 17:30   #3
Senior - BHPian

Wonder what the first change will be. 14" rims and tyres? Do you want to spill the beans in advance or keep us posted as you go?
I will look forward to the upgrades in the light system, if at all you do. That's my next priority for my Esteem. I think Esteem's light is hopelessly inadequate on the highway at night.
Old 21st September 2008, 18:23   #4
Senior - BHPian

Congrats Nitrous!! i have been dreaming of getting a MPFI Esteem too from quite some time. Hope it materialises soon.
Old 21st September 2008, 18:55   #5
Senior - BHPian

Congratulations Mahendra, finally the search comes to an end. Looks like you have joined the fraternity of esteem lovers here in the south.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudipto-S-Team View Post
Wonder what the first change will be. 14" rims and tyres?
Add a suspension upgrade to that list. Tires ain't upgrades these days on team bhp, its more of a necessity than an accessory.
Old 21st September 2008, 18:56   #6
Senior - BHPian

Congrats Nitrous, this would be something to wait and watch I'm sure.
Old 21st September 2008, 19:18   #7
Senior - BHPian

Have already seen her but congrats again
Old 21st September 2008, 20:45   #8
BHPian

Congrats Nitrous! the car is very neat and happy driving
Old 21st September 2008, 20:59   #9
Team-BHP Support

Congratz its a well kept car, if you can, try to get hold off a set off imported suspension kits (used/refurbished also are fine and will come cheap) Koni and DMS are supposed to be ideal for the esteem. Then again living in a city with track will help you locate the right person to do the job, as well as get you good parts. Dont go experimenting coz as far as i know, there are well tried methods out there in the racing circle.

Last edited by Jaggu : 21st September 2008 at 21:06.
Old 22nd September 2008, 11:26   #10
BHPian

Congratulations, she is a beauty.

Favourite engine whether you wanna build a NA screamer or a turbo. Usual stuff recomended including suspension.
Old 22nd September 2008, 12:00   #11
BHPian

Congrats nitrous ji,

She looks nice.
As You have mentioned --
"This thread will be a record of all the mods and how they turn out"

More pics please and care to share with you what plans you have for the "Mistress"
Old 22nd September 2008, 12:49   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjstyles69 View Post
Tires ain't upgrades these days on team bhp, its more of a necessity than an accessory.
Quite agree RJstyles, particularly after having recently upgraded to Michelins from stock MRFs.
Old 22nd September 2008, 12:59   #13
BHPian

Watching this thread. Masters of the trade are upto someting!!!
Old 22nd September 2008, 15:58   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
This thread will be a record of all the mods and how they turn out . The ultimate goal is to do a 2:00:00 timing at the MMST.
Thats a very brave target you've got there. Thats an average of 111kmph!!!

It'l be awesome if you can achieve it. You'l be right up there with the supercars.

Best of luck...

BTW, whats the fastest you've done in this stock esteem? It'l make for a good "before and after" comparison.

Shan2nu

Last edited by Shan2nu : 22nd September 2008 at 16:01.
Old 23rd September 2008, 11:37   #15
BHPian

Oh. Nitrous Anna Congrats,

Is this the same ride that you took me out for a spin when i was in Chennai?

Sweetly maintained car Buddy.
Yes I remember you are going to make this car slowly with all possible mods.

I am watching this thread. Keep them coming .

Psst. Some one said supercharger. huh.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks