Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th September 2008, 18:45   #1

Car security system let me down!! (Wheels stolen!)

Hi All,

Last week, the right side wheels of my Indica XETA were stolen in the dead of the night. Though i had a security system "Piranha" installed in the car, it has not sounded any kind of alarm during this period. None of us at home, nor people in the neighbourhood knew of the theft untill morning. Now i had to spend 7000/- to replace the wheels.

My question to the forum is how to avoid further theft of the wheels?
Is there a way of locking all the wheels .
Are there any service centers for checking and repairing the security system installed in the car?
Or is replacing the security system with a much advanced one the only option? If replacement is only the option, then which security system should I opt for and where?

I am aware of the nuisance it could create due to movement of people and vehicles close to my car, but I am seriously losing my sleep because of this.

I appreciate a quick suggestion/solution to this issue. There are too many questions in this post, but i require answers for the same .

Thanks & Regards
Sachin

Last edited by aah78 : 24th September 2008 at 21:17. Reason: Please limit smileys to 2/post. Thread title changed.
Old 24th September 2008, 19:10   #2
BANNED

Sorry to hear about this.

If I'm not mistaken, unless you had some kind of motion sensor, the installed security system would have sounded an alarm only if the thieves had tried to open a door / window.
Old 24th September 2008, 19:23   #3
BHPian

Were they steel rims or alloys ?
Old 24th September 2008, 19:48   #4
Senior - BHPian

Well, the Silicon make security system in my car has a motion senson who's sensitivity can be adjusted. If you have a motion sensor which is adjustable, simply upping its sensitivity could do the trick. But depending on how sensitive you make it, it can also become a nuisance. But you may have no other option.
Old 24th September 2008, 20:44   #5
BHPian

Sachin,

"Autocop" is a brand name. Is "Piranha" sold by Autocop?
Old 24th September 2008, 21:20   #6
Team-BHP Support

title edited.

Quote:
Originally Posted by adi99 View Post
Is "Piranha" sold by Autocop?
Piranha and Autocop are two seperate brands.
Thread title has been generalized
Old 24th September 2008, 21:36   #7
Senior - BHPian

If available, the best choice is taking rent of your neighbours garage and then use it. If it is not available, then you can go in for a autocop security system with sensor sensitivity as high.

OR better way is you need to have a dog which can watch you car and your house in night. When somebody comes near your car, it will certainly bark. ;-)

Last edited by snaronikar : 24th September 2008 at 21:37.
Old 24th September 2008, 22:28   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

Is it common for Xeta wheels to be stolen in Bangalore? While 13" wheels are standard on most Indica (DLS) call centre cabs, I have never heard of Indica wheels being stolen. A long time ago, Amby cross-plies were much sought after in the then taxi market and would be routinely pinched!

Nowadays, I would have thought it would be the expensive aftermarket alloys being targeted!

Anyway, unless the slugs really upset the car during jacking up etc, your normal security system would have continued snoring. Only those higher-end ones with movement sensors based on air pressure changes within the car etc would have woken up.

My UK neighbour's BMW had a air pressure-based system which would go off whenever an especially large truck (banned during the day) would speed past his driveway! He ultimately toned down the sensitivity through the control panel. He even had a option whereby the system sensed someone touching or attaching anything to the car (through changes in the electric charge on the car's skin?) and could warn off someone by beeping once/twice.
Old 24th September 2008, 23:28   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
Is it common for Xeta wheels to be stolen in Bangalore? While 13" wheels are standard on most Indica (DLS) call centre cabs, I have never heard of Indica wheels being stolen. A long time ago, Amby cross-plies were much sought after in the then taxi market and would be routinely pinched!

Nowadays, I would have thought it would be the expensive aftermarket alloys being targeted!

Anyway, unless the slugs really upset the car during jacking up etc, your normal security system would have continued snoring. Only those higher-end ones with movement sensors based on air pressure changes within the car etc would have woken up.

My UK neighbour's BMW had a air pressure-based system which would go off whenever an especially large truck (banned during the day) would speed past his driveway! He ultimately toned down the sensitivity through the control panel. He even had a option whereby the system sensed someone touching or attaching anything to the car (through changes in the electric charge on the car's skin?) and could warn off someone by beeping once/twice.
My grandmother's Matiz had a similar system back in '99...Even the slightest touch would activate an alarm!! Also, We used to irritate the guy by throwing twigs and bundles of grass on it!!
Old 25th September 2008, 10:34   #10
Senior - BHPian

Surprising that a stock wheel got picked!

with respect to having alarm with motion sensors, I am not sure if they will meet the requirement. You will end up with the alarm sounding everytime a auto passes nearby, dog bark or somebody sneezes while walking besides your car (based on the high sensitivity level required to check for tyre flicks). You will have more enemies than friends in your neighbouthood!!!

Not sure about the availability, but a system as suggest by ItWasntMe, would be better option. Else, try to source out a closed parking (but with Bangalore prices, it might be what a larger hole in the pocket, than those two tyres!!!)
Old 25th September 2008, 10:41   #11
Senior - BHPian

Go for a touch sensitive system rather than motion sensitive, switch off the touch feature only, during the day and enable it for night so less problem for everyone + if anybody touches, it should work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyrus43 View Post
My grandmother's Matiz had a similar system back in '99...Even the slightest touch would activate an alarm!! Also, We used to irritate the guy by throwing twigs and bundles of grass on it!!
Old 25th September 2008, 10:41   #12

Those were steel rims.

Thanks Dadu. Can you suggest me good touch sensitive systems, their price and availability in Bangalore?

Adityamunshi, those were steel rims (stock wheels)

Thanks & Regards
Sachin

Last edited by Rehaan : 28th September 2008 at 00:37. Reason: Posts merged. Please use the EDIT button to add to an existing post within 20 minutes instead of postnig another consecutive post.
Old 25th September 2008, 13:47   #13
BHPian

What about locking wheel nuts, are these available in India? I have a set which I bought in the UK about 7 years ago, never used them, they will be in my cargo for my relocation to India. These are readily available in europe etc. pretty essential as we had an epidemic of alloy wheels being stolen, you would wake up to find your car on bricks, no rims, this was a common sight in the late 80's and early 90's.

Regards,

Stefan
Old 25th September 2008, 16:08   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadu View Post
Go for a touch sensitive system rather than motion sensitive, switch off the touch feature only, during the day and enable it for night so less problem for everyone + if anybody touches, it should work.
If we go your way, even if the dog pees on it, then it will blow the alaram.
Old 25th September 2008, 18:39   #15
Senior - BHPian

Hi,

Aren't we confusing 'motion' sensors and 'impact' sensors?

I believe them to be two different things.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks