Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories

Search this Thread
Old 18th November 2008, 23:51   #136
Distinguished - BHPian

Nishant,

From what I understand this is a DIY kit so it will be easy to instal and remove. So everytime your car visits the dealership just plug it out, no issues of warranty !

Several people on BMW forums suggest that this is the easiest and best mod. No one has reported any problems.
Old 19th November 2008, 00:46   #137
BHPian

Thanks Sahil. Let us know if you finally go for the purchase and installation
Old 19th November 2008, 18:16   #138
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahil View Post
Nishant,

From what I understand this is a DIY kit so it will be easy to instal and remove. So everytime your car visits the dealership just plug it out, no issues of warranty !
@ Sahil

Brother, just be aware of their Fasta Data release on the BMW. It logs every change on the car etc. If it can log punctures into the car's control unit, SB will surely leave traces for the dealer/tech support to track.
Old 19th November 2008, 21:03   #139
Distinguished - BHPian

@Nishant: I aint no guinea pig

@BeamerBoy: I have read on E60 forums that people have had remaps done abroad which go undetected. So if you plug out the SB i don't see any chance of getting detected. Btw what is this Fasta Data release?
Old 19th November 2008, 21:20   #140
Senior - BHPian

It logs punctures into the control unit because it has TPM (Tyre Pressure Monitoring). A puncture is thus easily logged.
Old 20th November 2008, 00:35   #141
BHPian

Quote:
@BeamerBoy: I have read on E60 forums that people have had remaps done abroad which go undetected. So if you plug out the SB i don't see any chance of getting detected. Btw what is this Fasta Data release?
Fasta Data: every time, a diagnostic tool connects to your beamer...it picks up a dump of information stored in the control units. Now, this info gets stored into the diagnostic tester and is released to tech deptt. whenever the tool is connected to the net (read every day). Believe me, this information runs into pages with every bit of detail/faults/out of range info the car has been subjected to.

Therefore, just wanted to appraise you to think twice before you take any chances and wish warranty backup as well.

All the best.
Old 21st November 2008, 05:54   #142
BHPian

Quote:
@Nishant: I aint no guinea pig

You Got me there!! Oh I am just learning from experiences my fella mates have
Old 21st November 2008, 23:24   #143
BHPian

More on the Sprint Booster:

IT doesn't alter your tranny's shiffting pattern at all. It just cuts out the Acceleration Lag which is there in all "Drive By Wire" acclerator pedals. The difference is HUGE!

People have been using it for 3 years + and still going on great without the dealer ever detecting it (sure u got to remove it before taking your car to the dealer!) So no warranty voids issues.

Its not about being a Guinea Pig. just that in India the BMW 5 Series is actually big big deal of a car, so hence people are very sceptical to play around with it. Its definately twice as expensive as in the US/EU. While also, the US/EU people are more "mod friendly" than people here, so thats why u find so many people out there doing up stuff to their cars.

In one of the BMW 5 series forums, i have seen people ripping off the entire dashboard centre console by themselves and putting it all back in!

My point is, if u got the money, then dont think twice for ordering it. Dont think about it damaging your engine or tranny, as it doesnt. Its one of the SAFEST mods you can do to your car. Popluar also for the Mercedes too. Only thing stopping u from installing it, should be the cost factor, which obviously isn't or you wouldnt have bought a "5 series" in the first place! c'mon guys, its just US$320 = Rs.16,000.!!! if u dont like it, u can always sell it off again on eBay or the BMW forums for a little less and it will be gone in few minutes!

good luck with it!

Also, the SB is great for both petrol and diesel.
Old 1st December 2008, 18:43   #144
BHPian

Sahil thanks
Just reseted the transmission and really felt the huge difference .

The lag just disappeared and the gear shifts are much smoother even on drive sport.

How often can we reset?

I Just installed the phone kit and i was told the whole software upgrade was done on my car .

after the upgrade i been facing a small issue whereby when i start the car the i drive freezes while the time and date also not shown .

I called BMW yesterday and they said it happens very rarely and told me just to remove the key and then restart the car. after doing that i noticed it was working normally and i was told it happens rarely.

Today same thing happened twice .
first time i did the same procedure and it was fine .
second time it froze and the above procedure dint work and then i thought i will take it to the dealer and while driving the idrive just shutdown and the BMW sign came on the idrive and then it was working fine.

Guys what could be the problem?

Should be taking the car for a check on 4th since the software engineer of BMW cochin is in chennai for training . will keep you updated

Shoud mention that the Phone interface is really good and clear . Just the fact that there is no voice dial is sad . nevertheless i am really happy with the phone kit.

Insane Devil could you please tell me what the response will be if i use sprint boosters for a 530d

Does someone know anything about any engine performance chip in india?

I heard Pete's in cochin has something for BMW. could some one help on that

Thanks

Last edited by sujithnk : 1st December 2008 at 18:49.
Old 1st December 2008, 22:05   #145
Distinguished - BHPian

sujit,
There seems to be something wrong with the update, it probably has not been done properly or the software version if buggy. My iDrive has never hung in the past one year.
About the tuning box, there seem to be several around but a tried,test and VFM one is Abrieb(available on ebay). You can buy it on ebay and i have read several review of it, people are raving around it and claim it works as well as tuning boxes that cost 800 euros+. Whereas this one is for below 100 euros ! Several 530d users have been using it and have had no problems. So if you are looking for more power i'd say thats the best way to go, its easy to plug in and out so no problem with warranty too. When i checked with pete last he didnt have a box for bmw diesel, another option i came across during the autocar performance show was TuneIt in bombay.
The Springbooster works for any car to eliminate lag so it would work fine on the 530d too.

Last edited by Sahil : 1st December 2008 at 22:08.
Old 11th December 2008, 09:09   #146
BHPian

Hello Sujith,
Regarding the effect of the SB in the 530d, it will be fabulous! people worldwide are putting it even on their ultrapowerful M5/M3 and 550i also, and they are very happy with it. Recommend you just go ahead with it!
Also, Sujith, dont go for the Power box now. Go for the SB, and later on after u get bored with the extra power, then go for the Powerbox. But the Abrieb tuning box sure is VFM compared to other boxes out there.

Regarding the FastaData - well, whatever it is, it doesnot log the SB. this is 100% true.
Last week i removed my SB as i had to give in my car to the workshop for iDrive programming for the iPod retrofit. IF any irregularities were there, they would have immideatly told me and cancelled the warranty or whatever. So please guys, dont think too much of it, and take the plunge! i am sure u will love it!

About the iPod retrofit - it works PERFECTLY! i bought it off a guy from the US and costed me US$325 (inc. shipping) and i paid around Rs.4,000 as Duty. = total Rs.20,000
I removed my CDC and plugged this one in - its very simple, just plug and play.
But then it didnt recognise my iPod. So i had to take it to the workshop to get the iDrive reprogrammed.
iPod Retrofit cost : Rs.20,000
iDrive Prog Cost : Rs.1650 (1500+tax)!!!
Total of Rs.21,650 i have a perfectly working iPod retrofit in my car now!

BMW India is such a fraud - they are charing a hefty around Rs.60,000 for it! they recommend 5 components,
1. ipod retrofit box - TRUE
2. ipod interface - NO NEED - FAKE!
3. ipod Cable - TRUE
4. Power Cable - NO NEED! already comes if u have the CDC.
5- iDrive Programming - TRUE

Anyone plan on doing this, feel free to contact me, and i can provide further details
This is also applicable for the 3 series. (different kit, but similarly priced)

A note about the SB again - I am sorry i am going over and over on this, but just had to tell u all - last week when i removed the SB, and i got to put it back only yesterday. I was surprised where all that power had gone away! the effects are clearly visible. there was no fun driving the car in stock! the moment i put in my SB, i was with a 70mm smile on my face again! As you all being here, shows are enthusiasts, and i hate to see you all missing this in life!
Old 20th December 2008, 16:14   #147
BHPian

Hey Sahil, and all in mumbai

Coming to mumbai tomorrow by drive, in my 520d, and will be there for 3 days. So if someone in Mumbai wants to check out the Sprint Booster, then can meet up and have a feel of it in my car.

Sahil, tried calling you, your phone isnt reachable. You are in mumbai or not?
Old 20th December 2008, 20:50   #148
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insane Devil View Post
Hey Sahil, and all in mumbai

Coming to mumbai tomorrow by drive, in my 520d, and will be there for 3 days. So if someone in Mumbai wants to check out the Sprint Booster, then can meet up and have a feel of it in my car.

Sahil, tried calling you, your phone isnt reachable. You are in mumbai or not?

Devil Where will you be putting up in Mumbai?
Old 20th December 2008, 23:32   #149
BHPian

Dippy, will be staying somewhere in JUHU.

Any evening is fine, or late nite pubbing. You guys tell me which are the best places to hit in the nights!
Old 22nd December 2008, 18:23   #150
Distinguished - BHPian

@ID: Sorry bro, i'm out of the country until the 26th. Any chances of you staying back until then do let me know.

Most Viewed