Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th January 2009, 04:52   #166
Distinguished - BHPian

damn, you are averaging one new tyre ever month almost!
My car has done 25k Kms and fortunatly only one tyre change as which was due to a high speed encounter with a pothole. Fortunatly no rim damage. But I think I have been luckier as I run on 17 inchers and 50 profile while you are on 18s and 40 profile. I was contemplating putting the 530 style 18s when I go for tubeless but now I'd rather stay away.
However I had got a bulge few weeks back on the front left tyre and I'm amazed at how it has happened as I'm postive that the car hasn't hit any pothole or kerb big enough or fast enough. I have ignored it as it was small but I see it growing larger. Gonna take this up with the dealership on the next service due soon.
I'm not wasting cash on another RFT if nothing works out I am switching all over to tubeless.
Btw, what's the benifit that Secure would provide if you switch to tubeless?
My advice is get rid of the RFTs save yourself some cash and unwanted hassels. Check if you can increase the profile to 45.
Old 4th January 2009, 14:57   #167
BHPian

If you have a small bulge then it means the tread inside is cracked and in due time it will become large .

I spoke to BMW regarding the change to tubeless and they told me i will loose secure .

They also told me if i change to tubeless tyre BMW has right to cancel my 5 YEAR SERVICE PLAN because then they are not responsible for shocks etc . They said any damage to shocks or any other part of the car as a result of my car changing to tubeless will not be covered because service plan states that car should be on RFTS.

that was what i was told .

Do u think it will make any difference if i go for a tubeless on my 18 inch alloys .

18 AND PROFILE 40 i think personally wont make any difference . changing into profile 45 will it make a diffrence ?

Will enquire with my dealer whether it will be an issue but will profile 45 help ?

One thing good about RFTS is no matter how big the damage to the tyre you can safely reach back home It does let u drive on that damaged tyre for atleast 200 kms easily as i had done will my last damaged RFTS
Thanx

Last edited by sujithnk : 4th January 2009 at 15:01.
Old 4th January 2009, 17:39   #168
Distinguished - BHPian

Sujit- You're dealer is totally BSing you... ask him to show you any hard document that mentions the car HAS to be on RFTS orelse warranty will expire. I have read the finest print in the service plan and there was no mention of that. Infact my dealership has been encouraging me to switch to tubeless.

Tubeless even with 40 profile will make huuuge difference when comapred to RFTs. A friend put 19inch m5 alloys on his 530 with 35 profile tubeless and he told me that the ride is still better than mine! 45 profile will add extra cushion but you need to check if it scraps the wheel arches at all.
Old 4th January 2009, 23:27   #169
BHPian

Yes Bro. Warranty is not void & service plan is not affected. If you are keen on normal tubeless radials, just go for it. Afterall its your car and not of the dealer/BMW.

I am curious however on the 19" 35 profile normal tubless radials giving a better ride than Sahil's car! Beats me!!!

18" 40 profile normal tubeless radial will make a difference. Atleast to the ride quality. Cannot comment on bulges & tyre damages though.
Old 13th January 2009, 14:24   #170
BHPian

Guys i have a huge problem .
i had given my car for complete paid polishing but the BMW polishing centre used the rotating machine in the end instead of hand and my car was full of circular patches on it especially during night time it was clearly visible.

I took it back and BMW accepted it was their fault and they tried to re-polish but to no avail.

Now they told me that they will remove the wax coating from the car and then apply clear and re-polish it again .

WILL THIS HELP?

CANT BELIVE THEY DESTROYED THE PAINT OF MY CAR
Old 13th January 2009, 14:54   #171
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sujithnk View Post
Now they told me that they will remove the wax coating from the car and then apply clear and re-polish it again .

WILL THIS HELP?
CANT BELIVE THEY DESTROYED THE PAINT OF MY CAR
Don't worry Sujith, the paint is not spoiled. There is a clear coat over the paint of any car to protect the paint and give an even shine.

The circular marks are known as swirl marks that basically put small miniscule scratches on the clear coat. The clear coat is like a plastic film and does get scratched over time even due to washing/wiping daily.

To get it back to new, all they will do is buff the clear coat out that is like sand out the first layer of clear. After that they will spray the clear coat again. Car will look as good as new.

They won't paint the car at all just spray the clear paint.
Old 13th January 2009, 14:54   #172
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sujithnk View Post
Guys i have a huge problem .
i had given my car for complete paid polishing but the BMW polishing centre used the rotating machine in the end instead of hand and my car was full of circular patches on it especially during night time it was clearly visible.

I took it back and BMW accepted it was their fault and they tried to re-polish but to no avail.

WILL THIS HELP?ANT BELIVE THEY DESTROYED THE PAINT OF MY CAR
Thats the problem with machine use on a black car. I am not sure how its done perfectly using a machine though.

And isnt this BSing again..about removing wax coating?

Edit: Vid: so the wax part is indeed BS right?

Last edited by jkdas : 13th January 2009 at 15:02.
Old 13th January 2009, 15:52   #173
BHPian

Don't the BMW service people know the basics of routine car maintenance like polishing? Reading about the tire woes sujithnk has had, I keep wondering how callously these people treat a purchase of half a crore Rupees. The higher the price, the higher the expectations would be, and if they fail their customers like this, they are not going to make any headway into Mercedes territory after the novelty factor of a newer brand entry wears off.
Old 13th January 2009, 18:06   #174
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid6639 View Post
Don't worry Sujith, the paint is not spoiled. There is a clear coat over the paint of any car to protect the paint and give an even shine.

The circular marks are known as swirl marks that basically put small miniscule scratches on the clear coat. The clear coat is like a plastic film and does get scratched over time even due to washing/wiping daily.

To get it back to new, all they will do is buff the clear coat out that is like sand out the first layer of clear. After that they will spray the clear coat again. Car will look as good as new.

They won't paint the car at all just spray the clear paint.
Ok Thats great news . I was told its impossible to go .

One good thing is they have accepted their mistake and have told me worse come worse they will go for a new clear coat on top and that too on their expense but

This should have never happened in the first place

THATS REALLY SHOCKING
Old 13th January 2009, 18:22   #175
Distinguished - BHPian

Really unfortunate Sujit, but nothing to worry about like vid said.
At the end of it, a new clear coat will make your car shine even more, so on a brighter side you got more bang for your buck
I believe they charge 7500 for interior and exterior detailing. But I prefer giving it to a professional detailing place because they do this job on a daily basis, unlike the service center. You also save around 40%
Old 13th January 2009, 18:34   #176
BHPian

@ Sujith:

Brother, is it the hologram or are they definite scratches? A rotary polisher at times ends up leaving something called a 'hologram' finish. If that is the case, you needn't worry. The dealer will fix it for you.
Old 13th January 2009, 19:13   #177
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeamerBoy View Post
@ Sujith:

Brother, is it the hologram or are they definite scratches? A rotary polisher at times ends up leaving something called a 'hologram' finish. If that is the case, you needn't worry. The dealer will fix it for you.
Well at morning its not very visible
But at night when light falls on the car it doesn't reflect like before.

Instead it becomes blur . We can see some kind of oily look through out the car.

There are a few minute scratches all over the car but again not very visible till light falls on the car.

I was told the clear coat for the whole car will be done if necessary and it would cost 35K and would be borne by BMW.

I was told tomorrow the polishing unit head will have a look and then they will make a call.

They were also telling that if it reaches a stage where they have to go for clear coat then they would remove one layer of paint then repaint a layer and on top of that go for a clear coat.

Is that the right thing to do cause i was told never to let them re paint cause i would not get the same stock finish .

Thanks

Last edited by sujithnk : 13th January 2009 at 19:23.
Old 13th January 2009, 19:24   #178
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahil View Post
Really unfortunate Sujit, but nothing to worry about like vid said.
At the end of it, a new clear coat will make your car shine even more, so on a brighter side you got more bang for your buck
I believe they charge 7500 for interior and exterior detailing. But I prefer giving it to a professional detailing place because they do this job on a daily basis, unlike the service center. You also save around 40%
Beemer A.S.S. has to be professional unlike you Tata or Suzuki or Hyundai ones. Sad.
Old 13th January 2009, 20:39   #179
BHPian

The tech guys and service engineers are good at Platino Classic(BMW Cochin) but heard from somebody that the paint shop is at the Cosmic Honda Service Centre so don't have high expectations.
Old 14th January 2009, 06:07   #180
BHPian

@ Sujith: Let's do this.

Option 1: Take it up with the Cochin Dealer that you are once bitten & so twice shy. So, you will have a second opinion now & if you are driving around...try using it for a trip to Bangalore. The dealer over there has a nice bodyshop. Whatever is the expense on the paint portion, the dealer can cross charge between themselves.

Option 2: BMW dealers use Glassurit or Standox. You will have their representatives in Cochin. Do not reliy on the word of bodyshop people. Take an opinion from the Paint professionals.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks