Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories

Search this Thread
Old 30th September 2008, 18:03   #1
BHPian

Lancer facelift ... project starts in November.

I am planning to "fix" my lancer and get it tweaked to give me better performance and looks great too.

What i have:
Lancer Slxi 2001 - Metallic silver color
FFE from viper
Sumitomo brake pads
Conical air filter - don't remember the complete brand name but is starts with a "green.."
Stock sfxi fog lamps

What the car is like:
Completely stock - no change except a standard lancer spoiler and alloys.
Rubber: potenzas 205/60 R15
ICE: Stock Kenwood speakers and a pinoeer HU (Basic one)
Rear bumper partially cracked with paint chipping off!

What i am planning to buy:
Iridium plugs
12" woofer - pioneer or JBL????
In-dash dvd player with screen???
Amp - not sure which one - probably a 4 channel???
Rear bumper - some good looking one which can gel with the stock car.
Side skirts and front bumper lining (whatever it is called)

What the plan is:

Will complete it in multiple stages - since i already have some car parts so will start with getting the conical filter, plugs (which ones to go for?) and ffe installed.
Porting and polishing????Who does it in Bangalore????
Planning to buy the bumper and skirts ASAP (not sure from where - emailed Autopsyche couple of times but no response Going to Delhi on 25th and will try to get hold of him there!)

Another thing which i really need inputs on - i am planning to get the hood colored in some non-lustrous black shade and get a big "7" done on the roof in the same color, but retain the metallic silver on the rest. Will it look good? Comments?

Second phase will be to get the ICE done -
Will buy the woofer/amp and HU and job done. But which ones to buy ??

Third phase:
Add some bling - Will get the dash lights replaced to blue from standard yellow.
Get a sports steering. (If some money left)
(No change in seats since i am happy with the ones i have - black leather seats which go great with black and grey interiors)
Get some underbody lighting done - if not too fancy??
Get smoked tail lights - blackish (if money left)

I will start posting the pictures soon - but there is still some time for me to start the work - November :-).

Please do let me know about the color combination? If it will look good or shall i go for something else? Plugs ...etc.!

Thanks,
Somubj
Old 30th September 2008, 18:23   #2
Senior - BHPian

drop the iridium plugs. they are of no use unless you have done some serious engine mods.

Regarding porting & polishing, you can contact fellow bangy bhpians (& tuners) psycho and v1p3r.

Last edited by badboyscad : 30th September 2008 at 18:28.
Old 30th September 2008, 21:17   #3
Senior - BHPian

You could also think about upgrading your alloys & tyres. The existing tyre size you mentioned (205/60/15) is not the correct upsize for a Lancer. And not sure how you have retained the stock Lancer alloys, 'cause they don't come in 15".
I have fitted Michelin PP2s on my Lancer, and they have taken the car's feel and handling to another level.

Since you already have a FFE & filter installed, the porting, polishing job is a good step forward. Lots of tuners in Bangalore and Chennai who specialize in Lancers. There is a tuner's directory thread in this section which should help you out.

And I agree with badboyscad about the plugs... they won't make much of a difference. You can use that money to get better ICE
Old 30th September 2008, 21:43   #4
BHPian

[quote=razor4077;998069]You could also think about upgrading your alloys & tyres. The existing tyre size you mentioned (205/60/15) is not the correct upsize for a Lancer. And not sure how you have retained the stock Lancer alloys, 'cause they don't come in 15".
I have fitted Michelin PP2s on my Lancer, and they have taken the car's feel and handling to another level.]

Initially, i had 205/55/15 with goodyears on but i accidentally bought these because these looked good and i had no idea about upsizes ... i didn't see any decrease on pick-up, mileage, feel, etc ...but the handling is better now and these make lesser noise on road too.
Old 1st October 2008, 14:40   #5
BHPian

somubj-few suggestions,dont paint the said non lustrous black paint on the hood, mat finish tend to look very dull in the long run,giving it a very unmaintained look if not kept clean,and dont paint or sticker a big '7' as u mentioned , its very 1970ish[too outdated],jus go in for the same color which is the same as body color, get the b'pillars painted black, go for very upto date set of mag wheels,[with mirror lip].rest of what u decided is all good.
Old 2nd October 2008, 11:22   #6
Senior - BHPian

Hi

I suggest you take a look at my gallery. It will give you a fair idea as to what all can be done.

Happy modding !!
Old 4th October 2008, 01:00   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by desigNation View Post
somubj-few suggestions,dont paint the said non lustrous black paint on the hood, mat finish tend to look very dull in the long run,giving it a very unmaintained look if not kept clean,and dont paint or sticker a big '7' as u mentioned , its very 1970ish[too outdated],jus go in for the same color which is the same as body color, get the b'pillars painted black, go for very upto date set of mag wheels,[with mirror lip].rest of what u decided is all good.
I will check the pillars on photoshop - mag wheels i am not sure about since i am planning to retani the current set ..will post pics over this weekend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky_63 View Post
Hi

I suggest you take a look at my gallery. It will give you a fair idea as to what all can be done.

Happy modding !!
Saw the gallery ... your drive looks amazing! PMed you some questions too!

Somubj
Old 4th October 2008, 01:46   #8

Can we have some Good Hi Def Pictures of your car so that i can work on some photoshop options for you??
Old 5th October 2008, 16:37   #9
BHPian

Picasa Web Albums - somendra - Lancer

i just realized that the exteriors need a lot of fixes :-) I have added details in the comments section under the pics ....

Last edited by aah78 : 12th November 2008 at 02:00. Reason: Invalid link deleted.
Old 5th October 2008, 20:25   #10
Senior - BHPian

what kind of front bumper are you looking for replacement? stock or aftermarket(evo type)??
Old 6th October 2008, 10:07   #11
Senior - BHPian

You have great looking alloys. Just get them repainted, should make them good to go for another few years !

@badboyscad
IMHO,the EVO type bumpers would not fit in the budget that has been indicated, alongwith the other things the car needs.

All the best !!!
Old 6th October 2008, 20:58   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboyscad View Post
what kind of front bumper are you looking for replacement? stock or aftermarket(evo type)??
I am looking for aftermarket rear bumper - something similar to what ricky has on his car, something that can go well with the stock looks of the car, and side skirts. Though i am not sure about the costs of either of these :-(

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky_63 View Post
You have great looking alloys. Just get them repainted, should make them good to go for another few years !

Thanks Ricky! Repainted????? How and to what color?

@badboyscad
IMHO,the EVO type bumpers would not fit in the budget that has been indicated, alongwith the other things the car needs.

All the best !!!
Again ... not sure about the costs ... if someone can PM me? I can stretch the budget to some extent.
Old 13th October 2008, 23:16   #13
BHPian

So i got a little impatient and initiated the facelift day before:

(Porting and polishing: i have postponed it for some time since car has touched 90k mileage and i will get the engine overhauled and porting and polishing done together once i touch 1 lac.)

All oils changed - engine, transmission, brake, etc.
Throttle body cleaning done.
Changed the balancing rod bush kit. (the existing one was creating some funny noise)
Got fuel injector cleaned.
Conical filter installed.
FFE installed. (i like the sound - not loud but has a deep sound to it)
Checked the under-body for rust, etc ... there was none so skipped the plan of treatment.
Got the new brake pads on.
Got the A/C serviced - this is the first time since i bought the car so you can imagine the condition it was in :-)

Getting new rubber beading next weekend.
Getting new door hinges and door alignment done.
Body-kit, will get by month end.
Smokes tail-lamps ... should i go for it?

Now, i need to get the central locking serviced ... it is stock and i am not sure about the brand name ... where to go in bangalore????

Black hood? Any photoshop guru who can help me with the preview?
Old 14th October 2008, 12:03   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by somubj View Post
Black hood? Any photoshop guru who can help me with the preview?
Here you go.

black hood and mesh grill.
Lancer facelift ... project starts in November.-lanc-som.jpg
Old 14th October 2008, 15:41   #15
BHPian

Thanks a ton bro!

Black hood is looking great, but i don't think that criss-cross grill is that appealing :-(
What about something in parallel manner? Please see the pics:

Picasa Web Albums - somendra - Grill designs

Most Viewed