Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th October 2008, 19:14   #1

Handling improvement mods for Verna

Hi,
I have a 3 month old Verna CRDI SX ABS driven 4000k. I have done the following mods.
15" Alloys- Aura
195/55/R15- Yokohama S Drives
Leather seats from Saddles
Philips Rally bulbs 130/100 with relay (Agni) and ceramic holders
Pete's Tuning Box
K&N Replacement filter.

I am pleased with everything but the handling of the car, especially on undulating roads. I saw threads which mention putting springs to improve handling, but since it would reduce GC, was a little bit concerned. Just wanted to know if someone has put HR springs and is using the Verna on Bangalore roads and highways?

I am also looking for height adjustable coilovers so that GC reduction may not happen. I saw height adjustable coilvers for the 07-08 Verna available in kspec.com but was not sure if it is reliable. I sent a mail to K-sport USA and they mentioned that coilovers might be available for the 2008 accent soon (I guess it should match the Verna here, as the body specs are the same).

Adding a strutbrace - would it benefit other than cornering and body rigidity. Has anyone who has fitted it in the Verna seen improvements in cornering and handling? it is available in USA for (3/4 doors) as well as on kspec.com?

Anybody knows if we can improve the steering system by adding any high performance kits etc?

I drove a Magnum recently and was very much impressed with the handling which I think could be attributed to suspension setup and steering.

Thanks.

Last edited by Aditya : 28th November 2020 at 16:46. Reason: Typos, language
Old 7th October 2008, 21:22   #2
Senior - BHPian

Check with Electra if they have the VRD suspension kit for the Verna .
Kit will include coil springs and dampers at all four corners.
Old 8th October 2008, 10:49   #3

Checked with them already, they don't have pedder kits ( springs or coilovers for verna)
thanks..
Old 8th October 2008, 11:44   #4
BHPian

Petes have H&R springs.It improves the handling and stability.But car will be little lower.If that is not a problem you go for H&R.
Old 8th October 2008, 19:43   #5
Senior - BHPian

In my experience, stock dampers with stiff sporty springs give about 10% improvement .And the stiff springs would wear out the stock struts real fast since the energy from springs is transferred to the dampers.
Old 8th October 2008, 21:47   #6
Senior - BHPian

I remember Hotbits having a kit for the Verna.

Here you go: http://www.hotbits.org/images/pdf/SuspCatPrices.pdf

Last edited by iraghava : 8th October 2008 at 21:53.
Old 8th October 2008, 23:03   #7
BHPian

Can you go into what it is about the handling that you want to improve?
Old 9th October 2008, 00:13   #8
BHPian

My best solution is to exchange your car to a Fiesta which is a superb handler on any kind of roads. Anyways, I know you wouldn't want to do that.
Well, you could actually get the stock rear suspension stiffened. That is the culprit in Verna actually. Have seen verna on highway being unstable when the road conditions are bad. The rear juggles around and jumps too.
So you should be going in for a broader and better handler with the stiffer suspension. Things will work out. All mods that you have mentioned are more of cosmetic changes which will not really do any good for handling.

Anup
Old 9th October 2008, 13:54   #9

Thanks guys for the replies.
Couple of questions and clarifications
- I love my Car so no case of exchange. And it is not that the car is not drivable. It is a pleasure to drive especially after the upgrade of 195/55 R15 tyres which has improved the handling a lot and the petes tuning box, which has added more power/refinement to the car. I am happy driving around the city, bad roads and even normal highway speeds. I am looking for a feeling of better stability and cornering at very high speeds. The stiff springs especially the progressive ones would improve that. Hyundai has released hatch back SE edition with stiffer springs in US, but not sure if it will be released here or how to get the springs alone. If there is any other way to stiffen existing suspension without changing springs/coilovers do let me know.
- Thanks Nitrous for the feedback about sport springs affecting stock struts. Would that be the case only if we try mix/matching- how about if we use springs especially made for this application as is the case of HR/Eibach Springs?
- Iraghava thanks for the info about hotbits, but it seems like $2800, a bit too high.. Will definitely check up with the Indian dealer though.
- All, Do let me know if you know of anybody who has put HR springs for Verna and is driving around in bangalore, kerala.
Tx
Old 9th October 2008, 15:44   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Iraghava thanks for the info about hotbits, but it seems like $2800, a bit too high.. Will definitely check up with the Indian dealer though.
Thats 2800 RM. Not USD. Should work out to around Rs.40,000 INR.
Hotbits' are excellent products.
In your situation, this is what I would do. But, do check about ride quality before you indulge.
Old 9th October 2008, 16:08   #11
Senior - BHPian

To clear some confusion RM2800 is the basic kit price. For a DT1 setup this is what the calculations come out to be:

Hyundai Verna DT1 Coilover Kit with the helper springs, canister and dt1 single way adjustment full set.

RM2800-ADJ + RM200-HELP + RM800-Canister + RM800-DT1 = RM4600
Old 10th October 2008, 18:06   #12

Thanks for the clarifications,
Would still like to know if anyone have put H&R springs on their verna and is running the same on Bangalore/Kerala roads ? Would need their feedback

Autopsyche,
Do you know how would the ride quality of Hotbits coilovers be? Would it be as good as or better than stocks.?
Old 11th October 2008, 00:52   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Do you know how would the ride quality of Hotbits coilovers be? Would it be as good as or better than stocks.?
Coilovers are purely for performance. I wouldn't have high hopes of good ride quality with these.
The best suggestion for you is to find Koni FSDs or Pedder VRDs or something similar that change damping based on surface.
Old 11th October 2008, 21:12   #14

Thanks Nitrous,
Your inputs are very much appreciated. I searched in net extensively for Konis, Pedders, Bilstein and whatever brand i could find, most of them have only till Accent 2006 and not for Accent 2006+ or Verna. I checked up with methods( koni dealer), they dont have anything in Konis for Verna. Also the same case for pedders dealer.

Peter(Petes) confirmed that Bilstein is not available for Verna. Peter is also extremely helpful in providing pros and cons of each application.

Btw i am seeking feedback from folks who fitted H&R Springs,hotbits... and still in look for any other reliable shocks as you suggested.
Old 2nd March 2009, 13:42   #15
BHPian

Verna. What to do with the suspension ?

One of my cousins bought a Verna (diesel one). Unforunately, he wasn't aware of the notorious "handling" issue with Verna ( at high speeds, verna used to rock just as a boat) and then he tried various fixes for these. Initially, changed the wheels from alloy to stock ones (thinking that alloys has caused this issue).That didn't help.
I would like to get some advice from the experts as to what is the best way to fix this ? I remember reading some where that the suspension had to be upgraded. if this is the best fix, can someone elaborate as to what exactly has to be done with the suspension , so that I can explain the same.. He has lost faith in the Hyundai service engineers and hence he wants to have a solution and then ask the service guys just to implement the fix.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks