Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th June 2013, 14:00   #31
BHPian

Tata Manza 2011 - Duplicate Key

Hi,

I need help as i broke my car key yesterday. Please dont ask how

Good thing is that i didn't break it inside the keyhole and had the duplicate key at my home. Its just the metal part of the key which is in 2 parts now. At the moment, i am using the duplicate key.

i have requested to arrange one more duplicate key from Techno Automobiles and they told that the key will cost around 900 and it will cost you another 1600 for cutting & Training the key.

I told them to just provide the key at the cost of 900 and was thinking to get it cut in outside market which will cost about 50 Rs and thinking to install just the key part in my old remote which i think would not require to train / Pair the key with the car.

Just now i got a call from adviser that if you try doing so, it might destroy your ignition. Now i am scared as in that case they won't entertain the case in warranty.

Can you please suggest what can be done. I am enclosing the pictures of the broken key for your reference. (Quality is not good as these were taken by phone camera. )

Key lost : Now what?-13-1.jpg

Key lost : Now what?-20130618_134132.jpg

Also, i tried changing the metal part of the broken to my other key's metal part & key worked perfectly fine...

Awaiting quick help
Old 18th June 2013, 15:29   #32
BHPian

Re: Tata Manza 2011 - Duplicate Key

Please check you Insurance docs. Mine says "Keys and lock replacement cover with SI Rs 15000". You can ask your insurer if you can put-up a claim and if it would voids NCD/NCB.

Last edited by bijuiser : 18th June 2013 at 15:31.
Old 18th June 2013, 16:07   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adroit View Post
I told them to just provide the key at the cost of 900 and was thinking to get it cut in outside market which will cost about 50 Rs and thinking to install just the key part in my old remote which i think would not require to train / Pair the key with the car.
This is absolutely not advisable.
Just pay the amount they say and get a new key. If it's covered under insurance, collect the insurance. But even if not, it's not worth going to the local market to cut the key which can cause any number of complications if not done properly. Why take a risk?

EDIT: And it's not even that expensive when you compare to keys for some cars which can cost anywhere between Rs. 3000-25000 to replace.

Last edited by EagleEye : 18th June 2013 at 16:08.
Old 18th June 2013, 16:20   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleEye View Post
This is absolutely not advisable.
Just pay the amount they say and get a new key. If it's covered under insurance, collect the insurance. But even if not, it's not worth going to the local market to cut the key which can cause any number of complications if not done properly. Why take a risk?

EDIT: And it's not even that expensive when you compare to keys for some cars which can cost anywhere between Rs. 3000-25000 to replace.
Do you think that its worth paying 3k for just cutting and pairing the key when my current remote is already paired with my car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bijuiser View Post
Please check you Insurance docs. Mine says "Keys and lock replacement cover with SI Rs 15000". You can ask your insurer if you can put-up a claim and if it would voids NCD/NCB.
If i am going to buy a new key from them... i am surely not using my insurance for it as i will save the same amount in NCB... not worth to claim for 3K
Old 18th June 2013, 16:38   #35
BHPian

A couple of things that you can look at-

1) use the key and the remote separately. See if there is a way to attach the remote to the key chain.
2) While cutting the key is definitely a risk, something that came to my mind was what about flip keys? Isin't the process the same? They are cutting the key and fitting it to a different case/ housing. What happens in this case? what about complications? I think if you find a good guy to do it, it should not be a problem.
3) continue using the spare key and have the spare key and the remote as the back up just in case.
Old 18th June 2013, 17:02   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adroit View Post
Hi,

I need help as i broke my car key yesterday. Please dont ask how
Interesting topic, why I say that? Because even I have a broken key, which incidentally I have not replaced since a long time. Here in Bangalore, M/s Prerana Motors are quoting 2200 for the new key to be made, and even if insurance does not pay for it, I am planning to get it done with them rather than outside. My advice, get it replaced at Tata.
Old 19th June 2013, 15:52   #37
BHPian

Re: Key lost : Now what?

well... thanks to all of you for suggestions..

Here is what i have done. I visited a local key maker and got a normal key made by him which can fit the car locks and switch on the ignition.

Key lost : Now what?-key.jpg

While inserting the key in ignition, if i touch the remote of my other key to the newly made key, car starts with no problem. So, as suggested by bigben i can continue using the spare key and keep this newly made key as spare in future. total cost Rs 200/-

Another option is to buy the key from Tata at a price of Rs 850 and get the cutting done in market. Once cutting is done, exchange the chip with the new key.. No need to train the key at all.. I will save around 2K by this way

I am surely going for the option 2... Buying a key from Tata and exchanging the key part with my old remote...

Thanks once again.
Old 31st August 2013, 08:00   #38
BANNED

lost key ...what is the solution

Hi everybody,

I am presenting a peculiar problem. I lost my Alto Lxi (2006 model )car key. From the circumstances, I am sure that it is stolen though the intention of the stealer is not known. I have my duplicate key and I am using it for the last one month.

I have 2 options for the car's security

1. Change the complete lock set by MAS
2. Make a duplicate key and install a car security system with immobiser

Kindly advise on this

Krish-itm
Old 31st August 2013, 11:59   #39
BHPian

Re: lost key ...what is the solution

Krish, the safest is to change the entire lock set since you are sure it is stolen. Immobiliser comes with the key wherein a chip is embedded in the key so I don't think you can install it now.

You can install a security system, but then a thief can always open the car, open the bonnet and then disconnect the security alarm.
Old 31st August 2013, 15:27   #40
BANNED

thanks majumon,

I am waiting for some more suggestion. Something is to be done on emergency basis

krish-iitm
Old 31st August 2013, 16:45   #41
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by krish-iitm View Post
I am sure that it is stolen though the intention of the stealer is not known.
Krish, if you are sure that it's stolen, then obviously the thief has not stolen it to melt the metal & recycle the plastic on the key. The intention is either to break-in to steal the things kept in your car or worse, the car itself.

My advice will be to change all the locks of your car and get a security system installed. Changing the locks is a must and security system will not only add to safety but also convenience for you. You can get a good security system for as low as 3500 bucks. Go for it, even a 7 year old car is worth it, isn't it?

Regards,
Saket
Old 31st August 2013, 17:50   #42
Senior - BHPian

You know it is stolen ans you have not done anything in the last one month? Why do you say you are sure it is stolen? New keyset with a burglar alarm and antitheft would be recommended.
Old 31st August 2013, 19:21   #43
BHPian

Changing the complete lock is highly recommended. Don't wait any longer.
Old 31st August 2013, 21:17   #44
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by krish-iitm View Post
2. Make a duplicate key and install a car security system with immobiser
If you retrofit an Immobilizer, you'd have to change the lock-set anyway, right?

Might as well change it immediately. And get a steering lock.
Old 31st August 2013, 23:22   #45
Senior - BHPian

Change the whole lock set. Being a Maruti, it should not cost you a bomb. There is no point risking your car and losing your peace of mind over a few hundred rupees.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks