Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories

Search this Thread
Old 1st September 2013, 01:23   #46
BHPian

I think you're really lucky that your cars still there with you. I guess the thief isn't very good at his job yet for peace of mind you should Change your entire set of locks . It's like your house if your key goes missing would you risk your belongings for a 1000 buck lock ?. Same it's 2-3 k vs 1.5 Lakhs ? I guess we have an answer
Regards
Imran
Old 1st September 2013, 02:05   #47
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

As suggested by everyone get a new set of locks and a steering lock. I feel this would be a
Reliable and economical too!
Old 1st September 2013, 10:18   #48
BANNED

Re: lost key ...what is the solution

Thanks to all of you. I am changing the lock set today. Will cost 1800. In addition, I will install Autocop car security for Rs 3000.

Thanks

Krish-iitm

Last edited by GTO : 1st September 2013 at 13:29. Reason: PM coming up
krish-iitm is offline   Received Infraction
Old 1st September 2013, 10:49   #49
BHPian

As others have said, change ASAP.
Also, check if your insurance covers this. If it is covered, check how this affects your next year's premium and then take a call on filing a claim.
whitewing is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2013, 20:50   #50
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitewing View Post
As others have said, change ASAP.
Also, check if your insurance covers this. If it is covered, check how this affects your next year's premium and then take a call on filing a claim.
That's a good point. But does Insurance pay for the entire lock-set? I know they pay for a lost/damaged key; not sure if the policy would cover changing the set.
Old 3rd September 2013, 19:05   #51
BHPian

Re: Key lost : Now what?

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
That's a good point. But does Insurance pay for the entire lock-set? I know they pay for a lost/damaged key; not sure if the policy would cover changing the set.
Well I assume that the OP needs to replace the key set. Only the immobiliser will have to be reprogrammed isn't it? Why replace the whole lockset?

The SBI Key replacement policy atleast seems to cover the replacement of the key set part no mention of whole a lock transplant though.

On payment of additional premium Company will reimburse the cost of replacing the vehicle keys subject to following:
a) In case of lost or stolen keys, all other duplicates of the lost or stolen keys are to be deposited with the Company
b) In case the vehicle lock is broken at the time of burglary or attempted burglary , the entire set of old keys are to be deposited with the Company
c) The Company is provided with a copy of FIR lodged with Police by the Insured confirming the date and time of the incident.
d) The replacement should be carried out in a Company Authorized Garage.
e) Each such replacement claim shall be subject to 10% co-share of the total cost of replacement – subject to a minimum of Rs. 500/-, by the Insured.
f) Any items replaced under this Endorsement, will be of the same type, quality , quantity , or standard as the ones which were lost, stolen or replaced.
<snip>
whitewing is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th September 2013, 17:11   #52

Key lost by Royal Enfield service station

I gave my Thunderbird Twin Spark to the Royal Enfield service station for routine servicing and fixing as electrical issue. After three days of working on the electrical problem, they called me up. To my dismay, the call was to tell me that they could not find my bike’s key! The guy on the phone coolly asked me if I had a spare key and whether I could bring it to them! After many phone calls and insistence on my part to replace all the locks on the bike, I got two duplicate keys instead.

I have this worry in my mind that the original key is lying around somewhere in the Royal Enfield workshop. Moreover, they got duplicate keys made without having a specimen to work with. It’s hard to feel that the bike is secure under these circumstances.
turboverbo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th September 2013, 21:10   #53
BHPian

Re: Key lost by Royal Enfield service station

Sorry to know that. Pls Insist more to replace the total lock system. Otherwise, there is a good chance to steal the vehicle if that lost key is on some bad hands. If they don't agree that, post a written complaint to the manufacture as well as post the complaint on their FB. Good Luck.
Wildy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th September 2013, 21:55   #54
Distinguished - BHPian

I remember a news report where a service centre guy was caught for stealing the vehicle with help of key reported missing during service. He went to owners address based on the one mentioned in service job sheet. Can not recollect if it was two wheeler or four wheeler.

Though in your case it may not the reason I guess asking for complete replacement will be better.
mpksuhas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th September 2013, 22:05   #55
BHPian

Do you got a written statement (with the RE service center seal)from them that they have lost the key? If not, Please get it. Scan that letter and please write to the RE customer service letting them know how the service center has handled this issue.
If there are no responses, file a complaint in consumer court with the letter.
Old 4th September 2013, 22:23   #56
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by turboverbo View Post
After many phone calls and insistence on my part to replace all the locks on the bike, I got two duplicate keys instead.

I have this worry in my mind that the original key is lying around somewhere in the Royal Enfield workshop. Moreover, they got duplicate keys made without having a specimen to work with. It’s hard to feel that the bike is secure under these circumstances.
Sorry to hear about the incident turboverbo. What did they say when you asked to replace all the locks. I think its the correct thing to ask. After all they are responsible for it, they should rectify it. Duplicates won't help either. What if the lost key falls to wrong hands? And hearing how they made the duplicates without the original key!!Me too have a strong suspicion about the SC as everyone else. You should get a complaint filed. And get some aftermarket handle bar locks too. You could mail RE reg the problem and ask them to replace the entire locks free of charge

Thanks for sharing brother
vaisakhr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th September 2013, 11:16   #57
BHPian

You must ask for replacement of all locks. Tell them it is very necessary for you and you wont settle for anything less. The service centres are supposed to be very systematic in handling keys and vehicles and this is completely unacceptable approach. Good way to push it ask them in writing that they have lost the key and you wish to take up this matter with RE if they are going to replace it. All the best!
Old 5th September 2013, 11:27   #58
BHPian

If somebody has an intention of stealing the bike. would it not be much more simpler to just get a duplicate of the original key and leave the owner and service center unaware? All it takes is a 100 bucks and 5 minutes to get a duplicate made.

Now that it has been reported as missing, the owner would be very wary and could possibly change the locks too. Also if the bike is stolen, suspicion would naturally fall on the service center guys.

This just does not make any sense.

Having said this, I say you insist on the locks getting changed but am sure there is no foul play involved and you need not worry about the bike getting stolen.
revintup is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 5th September 2013, 11:37   #59
Senior - BHPian

Get the locks replaced by RE itself. They deserve to fix this nonsense. RE workshops are not something i like, used to like or will like anytime in my lifetime.

My first service was in RE and after few days got in touch with my mechanic for the first time 9 years back. Till date i do not regret that decision.

Get the locks and Keys replaced. Or ask them to find the original key.

But please also understand, it does not take hours to make a key and in fact they key makers can make a key anytime they want, anywhere they want and you actually dont need a key to make a duplicate
Old 16th September 2013, 16:11   #60
BHPian

Re: Key lost : Now what?

My driver lost the key with remote on your Nissan Sunny.
The spare key does not have a remote.
The price quoted by Nissan dealer for new key is Rs. 6000/-
That is very expensive in my opinion.
Have to take a call on it with next service.
I don't think any sane man will think about stealing a car in this present time of law and easy tracking system.

Most Viewed