Team-BHP - Key lost : Now what?
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Modifications & Accessories (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifications-accessories/)
-   -   Key lost : Now what? (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifications-accessories/47192-key-lost-now-what.html)

I lost one of my car keys near koramangala. The service center guy said that they can source a spare key from FIAT and enable it for my car and disable the one lost. But the lost key if used by someone would still open the car door. So, is it safe to just go for a spare key or get the whole key set changed which costs 800+labour.

To be on the safe side get all the locks changed. It might cost you some money but you will have peace of mind.

How is the lost key going to be "disabled"? The identification is embedded in the key and to the best of my knowledge there is no way to differentiate between both the spare keys.

My steering lock jammed recently on the Fiat Adventure and I replaced the entire set. The ECU had to go through a routine with the new keys to register them. This too was done using only one of the keys & both work fine.

I suggest replacing the set. It cost me around INR4500/- all inclusive

Any idea how much does it cost for the lock set of the Getz to be replaced?

hi guys, i lost both the keys of my OHC , can i get a duplicate key made from honda or a keymaker? If not how much does the whole key set cost?

Sir be on the safe side and get all the locks changed.

Quote:

Originally Posted by halley (Post 1106290)
hi guys, i lost both the keys of my OHC , can i get a duplicate key made from honda or a keymaker? If not how much does the whole key set cost?

Aah OHC!! You can get a key made from a keymaker for as low as Rs 50 till whatever he desires :D :D

Quote:

Did you lost today !! Otherwise how you are driving your car

Quote:

No problems with the OHC. You can get a key made by any local keymaker. However, if you lost all the keys, how will the local keymaker duplicate it?

@ To what Tejas said - Most good key makers can replicate a key even without the key itself. But you must be warned that some goons might spoil your lock to an extent, in order to force in the key for trials. The good ones, however, will be very careful not to do so.

When I lost my key to my NHC and asked Honda how much its gonna cost to replace the whole set of locks, they said it will take some 6500/- plus taxes. Which I thought was too steep. It covers the following:

1. Front Right door
2. Front Left door
3. Ignition key
4. Dicky key
I had lost the spare key which does not have the auto-lock box.
Any good keymaker can create a copy of your lost key for as little as 50 bucks.

It's always better to get all your locks replaced when you have lost your keys.
It's a nominal amount to replace the car locks.

I feel if you have to spend close to 5K then you might as well get a car security system and just a spare key! this way you can prevent someone trying to open the door with your old key! + you have added security!
@rmonie: the identity will not be changed in the key but the ECU as the new key id will replace the previous one thereby dissabling the old one.

In case of car theft claim, will not the insurance Company insist for a duplicate keys? Will they accept the key done local key maker (will they able to identify it was not the original keys & fabricated locally). Will replacing the entire key set through A.S.S resolve this problem?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tejas@perioimpl (Post 1107044)
No problems with the OHC. You can get a key made by any local keymaker. However, if you lost all the keys, how will the local keymaker duplicate it?

This is a piece of cake for any keymaker. Call him to where the car is. He will have a set of keys for the particular lock. Then using his tools and trial and error he will make a single key for a door, which will be used as the master key for duplication.