Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th October 2008, 12:10   #31
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikram18 View Post
Send the car over to Pune. The gang will do the rest!
Killer idea.

However, by "the gang will do the rest", I hope you don't mean that all of you would get together on a Sat night and drink in it. Or drive off to Lavasa. For a Fiat Rally.

Quote:
Originally Posted by moralfibre View Post
we'll ensure that the car gets good ICE as well in Shrivz's expert hands. He can build you a fibreglass Lancer as well.
Uh, I have not decided on the ICE yet. Actually I'm not sure I'll go for ICE. Uh, all these expenses are getting a bit too much and I dont know if I can afford it. Plus lot of ICE thefts in my area. And, uh, I've been told Lancer is not such a good car for ICE.
Old 17th October 2008, 11:19   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Trouble View Post
And, uh, I've been told Lancer is not such a good car for ICE.
And who would that be ?
Old 17th October 2008, 12:02   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amey View Post
And who would that be ?
Must be some Audio Expert, Who is it Ajay Bhai ?
Old 17th October 2008, 12:48   #34
BANNED

In my opinion, Lancer is a good car to ICE. Never felt it to be BAD.
Any genuine reasons to make it bad?
Old 17th October 2008, 13:46   #35
Senior - BHPian

Missed this thread Ajay... but then I already congratulated you a while ago!!

So all plans of the 14" tyres are out then eh?

Zak your right the lancer is a solid car and it wont age.. thats the best part. It takes a lot to get her to be loud though

@LBM, 17 teens? Eh thats jailbait and Ajay's better half aint going to be very happy with all the girls in the boot of the MinistryOfSound Mobile

Last edited by s0uljah : 17th October 2008 at 13:48.
Old 21st October 2008, 13:08   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedzak View Post
In my opinion, Lancer is a good car to ICE. Never felt it to be BAD.
Any genuine reasons to make it bad?
Missed the tongue in cheek. Anyway, its a super car to ICE. And ICEd it will be. Whats the point of a car otherwise? Driving/ going places comes a distant second.

Quote:
Originally Posted by s0uljah
So all plans of the 14" tyres are out then eh?
I'm confused again. Half the folks say 15, others say 14. One says 17 teen. I'd be very inclined to get the latter but that could cause someone to snip off a few inches of me elsewhere.

What I am sure of now, is that wheels will be last (opposed to earlier plan). Will drive on stock wheels right now. Waiting for the mechanical work to finish (which is in progress in Pune).

Next step is to get the car painted. Recently, I have started ogling at Lancers on the road. Really like the way the Lancer looks in silver color without sporty bumpers and spoiler. Hence, intend to keep the car body stock, and just repaint the whole thing in silver. Is it a big hassle to note color change in registration document? Also, any good paint shops in Mumbai?

I know Austin at Sion very well. Yes, they did wreck my Sierra but I am not going to let them try their hand at any modifications this time. Just tinwork and paint. Worth a try?

I also know the folks at Central Garage (Worli). Any good?

I have heard Ashok Auto does a super job. My friend has his Bentley done with them. Any idea what they might charge for my car? I have one quote from Pune for about 50k. Might go with that option if nothing works out in Mumbai.

Any other good options locally?

What about CNG kit? Where in Bombay can I get one of those sequential thingies, along with someone who knows how to install it?
Old 21st October 2008, 14:58   #37
evo
BHPian

in case you havent already, check out razr`s lancer, hes got a pretty high on detail mod job there. Best of luck!
Old 21st October 2008, 17:48   #38
Senior - BHPian

I believe Pervez at Mazda Motors is among the best in Mumbai for paint jobs. Why don't you ask them for a quote? Mad Monkey could help you out with that.
Old 22nd October 2008, 00:59   #39
BHPian

Congrats on the lancer. Its a wonderful car!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Trouble View Post

I have one quote from Pune for about 50k. Might go with that option if nothing works out in Mumbai.

What about CNG kit? Where in Bombay can I get one of those sequential thingies, along with someone who knows how to install it?
Quote:
Originally Posted by razor4077 View Post

- Painting: A full paintjob (with a colour change) cost me 24k outside HM. If you keep the colour same, you could get it done a bit cheaper. Check for rust like Farhan said. If there isn't any, the painting can be done later.
That quote sounds on the higher side. You can leave the paint for later stages if its not absolutely necessary.

Please don't put a CNG. Driving a lancer will be more fun otherwise. Just my opinion. You can argue that you will have your subs to provide the necessary thrust
Old 22nd October 2008, 01:26   #40
Senior - BHPian

@BnT
you may also want to check this thread:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...-birthday.html
It provides a lot of details regarding all the oil, filter and fluid changes.
Also check if the previous owner has replaced the timing belt. Often an ignored maintenance item.

Get individual estimates for tin work and the paint job. 50k seems expensive. Check with Ford Rocam how much is he paying for his City paint job. It involves some tin work and complete strip and painting.

Tyres : 15' should be the most practical.

Color : I think the Moroon OEM shade on the lancer was good too. FordRocam's shade on the City is also too inspiring. Note that shade has originated from a Lancer. Get a simple SFXi body kit. It isn't expensive buts add a lot of character.

Fogs: Lancer OEM fogs is also a nice option.

Last edited by dipen : 22nd October 2008 at 01:35.
Old 22nd October 2008, 10:49   #41
BHPian

IMO the cng kit will really eat into the power and even the stock lancer with cng is a tad slow. if offsets the entire fun of driving the car. k&n stock replacements or the green filter should give you an added edge. A LIL more mileage and a lil more bang for the buck while keeping it stock. i get14kpl with a stock k&n in my wagonr with a/c in city. the sfxi kit is great. I've seen a lot of the other kits here in blr fall apart after sometime. 15 is ideal makes for a good footprint and almost the same comfort and dynamics while making the wheel well look fuller. WHOA! 50k is a bit much for a basic paint change how many coats did they state?
Old 22nd October 2008, 11:03   #42
BHPian

For a proper paint job, that consists scrapping the old paint and doing everything properly again and using good paint like DuPont or Standox should cost that much.I dont see why it is so surprising if a quote of 50k is given.

Last edited by Amey : 22nd October 2008 at 11:06.
Old 22nd October 2008, 19:23   #43
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amey View Post
For a proper paint job, that consists scrapping the old paint and doing everything properly again and using good paint like DuPont or Standox should cost that much.I dont see why it is so surprising if a quote of 50k is given.
Actually, it is pretty surprising. All of the steps you mentioned were carried out in my car, including a colour change. The workshop where the work was carried out even had a proper heat chamber/paint booth. The paint used was Standox... and I was charged less than half of 50k.
Same car, same painting process & quality of paint - hence the surprise

Ajay: CNG kit will eat up valuable amp/sub space
IMHO, keep the car as stock as possible. Just get the mechanical bits sorted out, paint it in your chosen shade of silver, add some nice alloys (14" or 15" - take your pick), make the interiors comfortable with some good upholstery and of course ICE it up. Something along the lines of Sam's Lancer... a good looking, comfortable cruiser with killer ICE!
Old 23rd October 2008, 16:17   #44
Senior - BHPian

Just got word from Amey that car is in perfect shape mechanically. No kharcha on that front. Vicky bhau is out shopping for wheels and tires under able telephonic guidance from Tyre Singh (God I love these Pune Team Bhpians, not that way though).

So all that remains now is paint.

Quote:
Originally Posted by razor4077
Something along the lines of Sam's Lancer... a good looking, comfortable cruiser with killer ICE!
..and great company. Here's a pic I had taken many moons ago of Sam's car.
Attached Thumbnails
Modifications for my Lancer GLi-dsc00070.jpg  

Last edited by Bass&Trouble : 23rd October 2008 at 16:20.
Old 23rd October 2008, 16:53   #45
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iraghava View Post
I believe Pervez at Mazda Motors is among the best in Mumbai for paint jobs. Why don't you ask them for a quote? Mad Monkey could help you out with that.
Are you talking about Bombay Garage / Mazda motors at Babulnath?
I know those guys pretty well, my cars have been going to them for ages.

There's no paint booth though, but yes, their work is top notch.

@ Ajay, let me know if you want to consider them. Tell them you know me, you'll definitely get a discount for all the business I've given them!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks