Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th October 2008, 23:19   #1

Adding an Airbag to a Mahindra Commander

Hi,

I wanted to know if it was possible to add airbags to a Mahindra Commander or for that matter to any vehicle that did not come with the provision?

If someone could clarify this for me, I would be extremely grateful.
Old 14th October 2008, 10:07   #2
BHPian

I'll make this as simple an answer as possible : DON'T! SRS are hugely complex systems and fitting one in a car that didn't have it factory-installed is beyond the scope of an aftermarket vendor / workshop. Maybe if you dig deep, you may find someone who will do it for you. But I'd never bet my life on that install for sure.

Simpler solution if you must have one : Buy a car that comes factory-equipped with an airbag. And ABS too!
Old 14th October 2008, 10:57   #3
BHPian

raoulu,

I agree with GTO. And do not forget to look at the NCAP or IIHS results for any automobile you are considering purchasing. Why? Read the following article:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...utomobile.html

Please note that there are plenty of airbag-equipped cars from the best manufacturers where the driver's head, during the test, hits the steering wheel despite the airbag. That's why we should consider the results of independent crash tests before we open our cheque books. Unless I am mistaken, the only Mahindra auto that has been subjected to an NCAP test is the Dacia Logan:

Euro NCAP - For safer cars | Dacia Logan

And even if it only got three stars with poor results for the driver's feet, it is probably better engineered, in terms of crash safety, than the other Mahindra autos.
Old 14th October 2008, 15:22   #4
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
it is probably better engineered, in terms of crash safety, than the other Mahindra autos.
You can say that again. Mahindras have nothing but basic metal for crash safety. I recollect posting this someplace else : In a low speed crash, the other car will be finished. No doubt....sheer physics. On the other hand, in a high speed crash, an old school Jeep is little more than a hearse!
Old 15th October 2008, 09:03   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raoulu View Post
Hi,

I wanted to know if it was possible to add airbags to a Mahindra Commander or for that matter to any vehicle that did not come with the provision?

If someone could clarify this for me, I would be extremely grateful.
Also understand that the car manufacturers had a steep learning curve with airbags, many of them faced lawsuits when airbags deployed when they were not supposed to, sometimes resulting in accidents.

You will not find anyone competent enough to do the job for you, that too for a Mahindra commander.

On a side note, have you installed seat belts at least?
Old 20th October 2008, 10:12   #6

Thanks a lot for all your responses. I haven't bought the car. I was actually asking for a friend who was looking to buy it but was wondering about such safety issues. I'll pass on the good word to him.

Thanks a lot again.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks