Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories

Search this Thread
Old 16th November 2008, 21:13   #31

excellent thread SirAlec. Great to see a DIY enthusiast work. I begin work on my SS80 in about a week..The info was simply wonderful..Thanks a ton
Old 11th December 2008, 02:25   #32
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by atul_astro View Post
excellent thread SirAlec. Great to see a DIY enthusiast work. I begin work on my SS80 in about a week..The info was simply wonderful..Thanks a ton
Whats the progress on your work. plz do share with us.

any help needed plz don't hesitate!?
Old 11th December 2008, 08:23   #33
Senior - BHPian

Hats off to you SirAlec! It is simply outstanding, mind blowing, fantastic DIY I have ever seen.

By the way how did you arrange all the tool kits? I feel for engine over whiling it must need some specialize toolkits.
Old 11th December 2008, 17:12   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anujmishra View Post
Hats off to you SirAlec! It is simply outstanding, mind blowing, fantastic DIY I have ever seen.

By the way how did you arrange all the tool kits? I feel for engine over whiling it must need some specialize toolkits.
Mostly all tools are mine, except some specialized once for engine assembling, which i borrowed from a friend who owns a MASS. the helper is also loaned from him.
Old 11th December 2008, 17:28   #35
BHPian

Sir Alec,

wonderful work...but i was impressed with the Eastman Tool Kit..is it yours? how much did it cost? i am sure it would be very useful for DIY guys...
Old 11th December 2008, 19:09   #36
BHPian

Wow!! Thanks for sharing SirAlec. Am sure the entire project was a success and hope you enjoyed it thoroughly........
Old 11th December 2008, 23:32   #37
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sai_ace View Post
Sir Alec,

wonderful work...but i was impressed with the Eastman Tool Kit..is it yours? how much did it cost? i am sure it would be very useful for DIY guys...
Yeah Eastman tool kit is mine, I have all three sizes. It was brought from Udaipur by a fren as a gift.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatherlover View Post
Wow!! Thanks for sharing SirAlec. Am sure the entire project was a success and hope you enjoyed it thoroughly........
Yeah its a great sucess, I have run 1700kms, changed oil at only 1500kms. It touches the three figure speed with ease.

I am searching for a good machinist/fabricator, who can make the exhaust manifold for me according to my specs.
Old 29th January 2009, 02:29   #38
BHPian

Sir Alec,

Way too long but the hard work has its own appreciation. Hope the drive feel is smooth and perfect after the project completion. It might be an uphill task to complete in such a less time.

I have checked the thread for the service manual as u have said siralec but found out that the file has been deleted from the server. Can I ask the favour of reposting the file, if it is not a trouble to u. Thank you very much for sharing each piece of your hard work with us.
Old 6th February 2009, 02:23   #39
Senior - BHPian

search here.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...ad-here-2.html
Old 6th February 2009, 07:00   #40
BHPian

hmm..mine is a dec 99 exotic green M800.no mods done.and has 47k on the odo.im getting 1L offers on it.
Old 25th April 2009, 19:27   #41
Senior - BHPian

Hey Sir Alec,
How's your car doing? How many miles have you put now ..
Old 26th May 2009, 18:07   #42
BHPian

1.1L - to overhaul or to push on?

This is one useful thread. I love DIY jobs and would definitely want to try this at home

I have a carb M800 with 1.1L kms on the odo. I think the engine needs an overhaul now (but i've been on the fence for over 6 months). I have a couple of questions -

What kind of engine oil consumption were you seeing before overhauling the engine?

My car's engine seems to be consuming 500ml of oil every 1K km. I'm trying to judge its health with oil consumption as a parameter (in the absence of a compression gauge). I tried but I couldn't find a gauge for a DIY compression test.

How did the cylinder walls look when you finally opened it up?

I replaced the head gasket a few months ago and the cylinder diameter had increased by about 1 mm. It was quite noticeable as the cylinder diameter at the top of block was lesser and it increased towards the lower part of the block. Did you notice anything similar after opening up your 800's engine at 2L kms?

I'm wondering if I should let the engine block be (as is) and replace my pistons and rings with the 2'nd oversize - Did you machine the block and use new cylinder liners to retain the standard size pistons?
Old 26th May 2009, 18:28   #43
BHPian

Super DIY, great post. Very informative, please keep them coming...
Old 4th June 2009, 01:05   #44
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeethaldankar View Post
Hey Sir Alec,
How's your car doing? How many miles have you put now ..
its little over 7000kms now. Its doing great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrackedHead View Post
This is one useful thread. I love DIY jobs and would definitely want to try this at home

I have a carb M800 with 1.1L kms on the odo. I think the engine needs an overhaul now (but i've been on the fence for over 6 months). I have a couple of questions -

What kind of engine oil consumption were you seeing before overhauling the engine?

My car's engine seems to be consuming 500ml of oil every 1K km. I'm trying to judge its health with oil consumption as a parameter (in the absence of a compression gauge). I tried but I couldn't find a gauge for a DIY compression test.

How did the cylinder walls look when you finally opened it up?

I replaced the head gasket a few months ago and the cylinder diameter had increased by about 1 mm. It was quite noticeable as the cylinder diameter at the top of block was lesser and it increased towards the lower part of the block. Did you notice anything similar after opening up your 800's engine at 2L kms?

I'm wondering if I should let the engine block be (as is) and replace my pistons and rings with the 2'nd oversize - Did you machine the block and use new cylinder liners to retain the standard size pistons?
Even in those condition, it was not drinking oil. But the pickup was sluggish. Guage is cheap at about Rs. 650/-. I borrowed much of the special tools from a friend who owns a M.A.S.S.

losing half a litre of engine oil is a sign of very busted engine.

I would advice you to go for half engine assembly from maruti. and rework the head. un-uniform wear of a block, like you mentioned is a very bad sign.
Old 16th June 2009, 15:44   #45
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirAlec View Post
Even in those condition, it was not drinking oil. But the pickup was sluggish. losing half a litre of engine oil is a sign of very busted engine.
Wow! No loss of oil at 2L Km's. The funniest thing about my cars engine is that the Spark plugs come out dry every time I clean them (no telltale oil deposits).
My cars engine's still got reasonably good pickup - go figure!

I'm confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirAlec View Post
I would advice you to go for half engine assembly from maruti. and rework the head. un-uniform wear of a block, like you mentioned is a very bad sign.
Will get the half engine if I do the rebuild myself. But should I consider getting the block re-bored (with new cylinder liners) if I get the rebuild done at MASS ?

Most Viewed