Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories

Search this Thread
Old 21st April 2005, 22:06   #31
Senior - BHPian

With a gas car you will lost about 10% power, unless you make modifications to the engine.
Both LPG and CNG have better knock resistance which means you can run higher compression and more agressive ignition timing. I suspect Haryan's ECU is doing just that.

CNG stores the gas at much higher pressure than LPG and therefore needs a heavier tank. I believe CNG is popular in Delhi (NCR) area and everywhere else its LPG.

We have an Omni with factory fitted LPG and it runs fine. There is a lot of jerking if you hit the gas hard, but you just have to get used to the technique. Not sure if Maruti has done any special mods to the engine.
Old 22nd April 2005, 06:56   #32
BHPian

i went to some place in bangalore and he dold it willcost 18.5k for carb and 21k for mpfi...
with RTA certificate...
Old 4th May 2005, 14:49   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Imagine with GAS If feed line broke, it will be disaster not for you only but for people around you. dont loose lifes at cost of what ever calculation (money-negligible) you save.
Just to correct here, the Autogas cylinders come with leak detection valve. So if a drop in pressure is detected (indicating a leak in the supply to engine) the cylinder automatically shuts off the supply and hence preventing any accident in case the feeds are damaged.
Old 4th May 2005, 16:13   #34
dev
BHPian

Zulfikar,
Which brand you are refering to?
I enquired BRC Kit, it costs 20K with RTO Cert.
Does anyone tried with LPG teavelling continuosly for 300kms?
And can I fit LPG for Ikon CLXI 2001 model?

Thanks.
Old 5th May 2005, 00:13   #35
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitinbhag
Haryan, What happens in the case of a rear end accident? Has the LPG tank been crash tested?

Also do you need to tweak the suspension to handle the tank weight?
one thing has always wondered me if you look at the pic from haryans car there is a welded joint on cylinder
now the comapny says that it has layers & layers of protection from inside & it won't crack it will bend stuff
but as everyone might be knowing welded joint is the weakest part of any metal. thas what worries me a bit
why don't they make it without joints same goes with the line going into cylinder
i asked this question with some salseman at Pune Expo '05 but I got a pre-recorded answer "No technical person available"

as for haryan : indias LPG ambasedor
Old 5th May 2005, 05:29   #36
Senior - BHPian

Hey
This LPG stuff, do you buy it in Kg or Liter basis. I've seen some people say Kg of LPG and some are saying liters of LPG. Whats the scoop here guys?
Old 5th May 2005, 09:31   #37
BANNED

But is there an age restriction on the vehicles to which it can be fiited with RTO & Insurance approval? I am asking this becos I hrd that you cannot legally fit a GAS kit to a vehicle which is older than 15 yrs..that is vehicles made before 1990..

It would be gr8 if RTO & GOVT decides that all older vehicles must fit approved Gas kits..pollution on roads will be phenomenally less!
Old 5th May 2005, 19:20   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adya33
but as everyone might be knowing welded joint is the weakest part of any metal. thas what worries me a bit
Making a cylinder without a weld joint is very expensive.. There are codes and standards which are followed for welding of pressurised cylinders, which if followed, guarantee safety.. Actually, the weld joint itself is stronger than the parent metal, it is the area around the joint which is stressed by the welding process.. the codes detail heat treatment and other processes to normalise the metal there.. So, dont worry about the weld, it is perfectly safe as long as it is done properly. Even high pressure boiler drums holding 250 bar at 500 deg C have weld seams.
Old 5th May 2005, 19:23   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower
This LPG stuff, do you buy it in Kg or Liter basis. I've seen some people say Kg of LPG and some are saying liters of LPG. Whats the scoop here guys?
LPG is always sold by KG.. The confusion is because we often start comparing it to petrol which is sold by Liters
Old 21st May 2005, 11:31   #40
Senior - BHPian

is it true

We discussed about fitting gas in Santro.

One of friend has finalized a 99 Model Honda City 1.5 which has done 47000 kms on the odometer. Just want to find out whether we can fit the gaskit in OHC. We had enough discussion on having it on Santro. Is the same applicable?

He checked with Sundaram Motors and they said a big NO. They say the vehicle will face starting problem apart from jerking on the run. Also the problems that surface due to this kit addition will not be attended by them. He got scared and kept away from it.

Just want to share and discuss in the forum
Old 15th September 2005, 01:08   #41
BHPian

Please Get Your Facts Right On Lpg !!

A lottttttttttttttt of discussions Guys
Now let me put in my experience as well as even I hv been researching a lot since past few weeks.
I found out that in Italy more than 99% of cars are running on LPG. If I go by what others have posted, Italy itself is a moving BOMB - which is absolutely BULLCR*P. We Indians have never ever developed anything competent enough by ouselves, so the imported OMVL kits are the best thing to have.

As HARYAN said, these are certified and tested by all the stringent authorities and that's the only reason why they are so popular abroad.

I have a very very small car - Daewoo Matiz, I would be comfortable with sacrificing on boot space, as most of the times only 2 ppl will sit in it, So I hv rear seats as Luggage space.
Else I can get a rack on the top for emergencies.

Now a few clarifications > Does Daewoo Matiz hv a MPFI engine? Do these Legal cylinders come in different sizes? Does the car require a cold start on Petrol (Haryan you can answer this more effectively)

I am getting the kit for aorund 18000 INR in Chandigarh. and I think for a budget concious man like me, It would be the best thing to add to my hobby of visiting Hill Stations and going on Long drives.

And if you talk abt the worst case scenario, If a train hits your legal LPG fitted car at around 150 Km/Hr, Even if the cylinder explodes, I am sure you won't be alive to regret it !!
Old 15th September 2005, 01:57   #42
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitinbhag
maybe because the discussion is on (lp)GAS?.. lol
Dude...that was a KILLLLLLER!!!!!
Old 20th August 2009, 01:17   #43

Warning:-
Never go for any local components.

1. Tank: Should be approved by Govt. of India's explosive department. example brand- Econ
2. Multijet/Solenoid/Vaporizer should be ARAI (Automobile Research Association of India) If you dont know much, then just go in for imported once like OMVL,BRC,LOVETO etc.
Old 20th August 2009, 10:10   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaguar9 View Post
Warning:-
Never go for any local components.

1. Tank: Should be approved by Govt. of India's explosive department. example brand- Econ
2. Multijet/Solenoid/Vaporizer should be ARAI (Automobile Research Association of India) If you dont know much, then just go in for imported once like OMVL,BRC,LOVETO etc.
I think you have reopened a 4 yr old thread..

Most Viewed