Team-BHP - Fitting Gas - Advantages & Disadvantages
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Modifications & Accessories (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifications-accessories/)
-   -   Fitting Gas - Advantages & Disadvantages (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifications-accessories/4906-fitting-gas-advantages-disadvantages.html)

My friend has bought a 2002 second hand santro car that has done only 18000 kms. He wants to fit a Govt approved Gas kit and wants to get it endorsed in the registration certificate (which cost Rs.30K). Price increase in the petrol round the corner, his intention of doing so is to minmize the cost of the recurring expense on the usage. He has got few questions

1. Does it affect the performance of the car (both in short and long run)

2. What are the disadvantages in it

3. Does it affect the resale value to a larger extent (he wants to sell it off after two years)

Please share your views on this. I had requested to hold for a week.

Thanks

biggest disadvantages:
1.takes the fun out of driving a car.
2. could bloww your a$$ up anytime

Quote:

Originally Posted by iceman91
2. could bloww your a$$ up anytime

Hope you have not confused with fitting the cylinder inside the car. I was told that liquid gas is less flammable that petrol ( I do not have any knowledge on this)

ok one of cousins have a big cylinder at the back of santro.

you wont break even till 2 years
you will repent all your life for doing this
they will be no cargo space nil zip nada
and I will add you will be blown anytime
pick up drops like p*****s on the wall

lastly I will hate the person who has a gas kit fitted for the rest of my life.. So if this car belongs to you better beware....Hehe KIddin

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vulken Auto

Hey, this is somewhat like this.

A seperate tank will be fitted and a mouth will be provided to fill up the gas. This can be done at the petrol filling stations (only few stations have this).

I guess the cost per litre is only 70% of the petrol cost for the same mileage.

hey nag , the fuel efficiency will decrease,I mean you wont get 10km/kg as 10km/l I guess.

and you wont get gas all the time or there will be a 100 car line everytime you go(big head ache). so beware

Hey Surprise,

My cousin got a gas cylinder fitted onto his Santro approximately 2 yrs. back. It cost him around 10k for the whole kit.

There has been a huge raise in his cost savings - he does around 50km a day. Earlier he used to get a max. of 14kmpl without ac now with he gets around 250 - 270 Km per cylinder with the AC running most of the time. (i don't know if the FE changes for the authorised kit). So, if you calculate the savings are pretty high.

I have driven the car and it is as smooth as the petrol one plus u have the advantage of switching back to petrol when u run out of gas.

The pick-up I must say is pretty good and is more than sufficient for Bangalore driving.

He went on a long trip to Tirupathi (700 km to and fro)and he got an mileage of 330 km for a cylinder!!

The only compromise is on space - but the car can still hold 2 decent sized bags and a laptop case comfortably with the cylinder.

The resale drops by around 3 - 4k (I know because he got it evaluated by automart here).

So take a call! I would say go for gas as it is extremely cost effective and it does not burn a hole in your pocket - unlike the average t-bhpian most of us use our car as a means of transportation and every rupee saved helps us in the long run.

Another important fact is LPG is a more efficient means of delivery than petrol. It is also less polluting - most of the rumours about gas are spread by the oil companies. In Italy and Brazil a lot of cars run on gas - I read an article on this (will try and look for it and post it)

If you take a look at last weeks Outlook there is an article on Bio-diesel - very informative. Alternative fuels are the way to go with escalating prices. (LPG is not an alternative fuel :))

Hope this helps!

- D

have one in my esteem dont think it comes for 30k i have LPG which is legal got it for 21k so on a mpfi engine should cost nothing more than 25k. find out some more places. there are no problems with it at all. although i was scared about my friends smoking in the car at first. been doing it a few times they say its safe but im sticking on the safer side and not smoking in the car .other than that no problems technically. using it for 4 months now

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vulken Auto

you wont break even till 2 years
you will repent all your life for doing this
they will be no cargo space nil zip nada
and I will add you will be blown anytime
pick up drops like p*****s on the wall

lastly I will hate the person who has a gas kit fitted for the rest of my life.. So if this car belongs to you better beware....Hehe KIddin

Dude ..
Firstly i would like to inform you that you got your facts wrong ....
I have fitted an Legal LPG kit which consisits of an GOVT endorsed LPG fuel tank of 50 ltr capacity with about 12 Safety Valves onto my Corsa in Sep 2003 and have done about 30 k Kms in it ... The kit is very very safe and has absolutely no chance of blowing up .. Its certified by ARAI and EXPLOSIVES Ministry ....
there are different kinds of kits available ... there are Indian and imported ones available .. Indian kits are .. Well .. cheap in both Price and Quality ... I have an OMVL ( Italian ) kit fitted onto my car .. this kit has an ECU ( which costs 5 k more than normal kit ) also which is tuned into cars ECU .....My car can also be tuned for fast acceleration ... the car shoots like an Bomb... but there is no TopEnd ... If i tune it in other way Car does not Shoot but does Top speeds .. I have done 175KMPH on PUNE MUMBAI expressway on LPG ....I have been to Pune twice and to Bangalore twice in my LPG car.. LPG is available in both the cities without any problems .. LPG is available in about 14 pumps in HYD city and there is NO lines for filling ... The mileage is 10% less than what you get in petrol BUT as per the rate difference with petrol and lpg ,savings will be as much as 40% ... I made the amount i invested ( around 28 k ) in an year ...... LPG is a better fuel and is better for Environment as the car does not pollute at all .. My car on petrol shows about 3% in pollution test and On LPG is just .5% in Emission tests ....
well i didnt lose much boot space but its okay i have managed .. ...
i will try and post some pics soon

guys guys we are getting confused between a CNG kit and an LPG kit...
he is taling about the CNG which is available as a standard issue from maruti in the omni.
will be refilled in gas stations.
but i still stand by what is said in my first post

I am talking about LPG kits only .... I know the Difference between Compressed Natural Gas and Liquid Petroleum Gas ........
Your post shows your ignorance about LPG kits and fitment ...
LPG is cleaner and safer fuel ...
you are talking about illegal and unsafe LPG kits which use Household LPG cylinder ...
and I am talking about AutoLPG kits and its refueling is done in petrol pumps ....
there is not much major performance loss in this kits ....

this is the LPG tank in my Car ...

this is another view

The advantages in an LPG kit (not CNG) are many.

The only disadvantage i think is the lingering smell of the gas in case of a santro.

Dunno myself.. but ppl having the same can give proper gyaan on this issue i guess

P.S. : Me plannin for a WagonR wid LPG too.. refer what car thread for the posts.

This is fueling nozzle for LPG ... the Hose is connected through this nozzle for the LPG to be refueled into the tank ...

Close up View of the refueling nozzle on my car ....

welll...thats gonna make an even bigger explosion than the regular one. :)
haryan...i NEVER said that you got it wrong....please read the posts earlier to yours.
he has an lpg kit for 10k...also jesal is scared to smoke in his car!!!
dint mean to offend you so much!!!