Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th November 2008, 23:02   #31
Senior - BHPian

Well, to be honest Hellstar, he didn't get himself a S2k projector (which costs nearly 900$ to retrofit into a stock headlamp from a third party). Until he posts proper wallshots of his beam pattern, we wouldn't know how good they are.
Old 19th November 2008, 11:30   #32
BHPian

Very nice job there kaynmantis, looks real good..
I have one suggestion though, usually high beam projectors are towards the center of the car and the low beam projector towards the outer side, this will increase your projector efficiency..And how did you fif the projector to the headlamp case? Super glue?? Can you post some pics of that if you can?
Old 19th November 2008, 11:39   #33
Senior - BHPian

Kay, thats a real cool DIY mod!! Very good job done indeed. I am encouraged to say the least.
Can anybody tell me where i can resource the projector lamps for Scorpio in Hyd? or Projector lamps of Sonata etc?? junkyard address to get these from please??
Old 19th November 2008, 11:41   #34
BHPian

Neat work for a DIY. The finish could have been better but then again with limited tools and for a first timer this is pretty good!
Old 19th November 2008, 11:45   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shazikon View Post
Very nice job there kaynmantis, looks real good..
I have one suggestion though, usually high beam projectors are towards the center of the car and the low beam projector towards the outer side, this will increase your projector efficiency..And how did you fif the projector to the headlamp case? Super glue?? Can you post some pics of that if you can?
Thanks for the tip. I'll try them next time I open them up since aligning cannot be done by simply turning a screw from the outside like the stock. On other hand, I have noticed that projectors spreads the beam quite wide horizontally so I am able to see the sides of road better than my stock.

Well about fitting the projector to the headlamp casing. All I did was cut metal sheets, drill holes in them for nuts and bolted them to the case. Projector already has screws and holes on them at the right place, so I attached the other end of the metal sheets to it.

Superglue??. No. I use nuts & bolts. I made the holes long so I can move the projector to align and then tighten them when satisfied.

Wish I took more pictures while assembling. I have to take it apart to take new shots, so it'll be a while before I do that. May be I will write up a proper DIY with step-by-step illustration on how I did it sometime in the future.

Last edited by kaynmantis : 19th November 2008 at 11:47.
Old 19th November 2008, 13:59   #36
BHPian

Here's a graphical representation on how I fitted the projector to the headlamp body. The sonata projector fitting style is slightly different as they were bigger and heavier, though not much different. Any projector will have holes or screws. All you have to do is use your imagination and make use of them according to the stock headlamp layout.

Name:  projectorexample1.gif
Views: 3067
Size:  102.9 KB

Last edited by kaynmantis : 19th November 2008 at 14:18.
Old 19th November 2008, 14:15   #37
Team-BHP Support

Kaynmantis, thanks for the pics.
Your headlamp lenses arent the clear ones, right? That could be why they seem blurred at the edges. Good job, though.
Old 19th November 2008, 15:31   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
Kaynmantis, thanks for the pics.
Your headlamp lenses arent the clear ones, right? That could be why they seem blurred at the edges. Good job, though.
I think they are. Though the edges near the indicators have lines, the area around the main beam are clear. I thought this was the case in Ikon clear lens headlamp. The whole lens are not clear in Ikon unless they are those angel eyes type of headlamp as shown in one of the pictures earlier. Other Ikon owners can verify this.
Old 19th November 2008, 16:01   #39
Senior - BHPian

Kay, thanks for the information. and Yes the Ikon lenses have patches at the corners.
Old 20th November 2008, 14:06   #40
BHPian

Dude this is awesome. How did you manage to seperate the glass and the back of the headlamp?

Vijay
Old 20th November 2008, 14:11   #41
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

Quote:
Originally Posted by prabhuav View Post
Dude this is awesome. How did you manage to seperate the glass and the back of the headlamp?

Vijay
I was going to ask the same question. I guess its sealed together with a sealant. I remember a friend saying that by keep the headlamp in a microwave for a minute or less the seal would melt and it becomes easy to separate the glass. Would like to know how this was done in this project though.
Old 20th November 2008, 15:56   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prabhuav View Post

Vijay
Quote:
Originally Posted by mclaren1885 View Post
I was going to ask the same question. I guess its sealed together with a sealant. I remember a friend saying that by keep the headlamp in a microwave for a minute or less the seal would melt and it becomes easy to separate the glass. Would like to know how this was done in this project though.
Don't know about microwave. It won't fit inside my microwave anyway. I used a HAIR BLOWER. You probably may not have one yourself , borrow your sister's or wife's, if not, buy one. Set blower to HOT and blow the joints till the sealant gets soft. It will get soft enough to pry them open with screw drivers. Careful with the glass though. Contact of screwdriver and glass may chip away the glass or break them. You'll need patience too.
Old 20th November 2008, 17:27   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclaren1885 View Post
Not in microwave but inside a *regular* oven with heater coils all around.
Heat will melt the sealent and using screw driver one can pry the assembly.
Using hot air gun would be easier. With hair dryer, you will need lot of patience and they are not built for such a 'heavy' purpose. Hope you got me there.
In bangalore, all of us know, guys in Shivajinagar can do this if you feel it is difficult. Best is to get a pair of headlights from those guys itself and get them opened by them. So you don't need to risk your original headlights and also no downtime.
Old 20th November 2008, 17:52   #44
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaynmantis View Post
I think they are. Though the edges near the indicators have lines, the area around the main beam are clear. I thought this was the case in Ikon clear lens headlamp.
Sorry, my mistake. Just verified.
Old 20th November 2008, 17:53   #45
Senior - BHPian

Wonderful work

Kaynmantis,

I'm no expert and have not tried anything DIY until now. Given the tools you said you were working with, your DIY effort has turned Fantastic. Very clean.. And this over a month means your focus and interest must be appreciated...

Great effort. Keep it going. Cheers.. aK

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks