Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories

Search this Thread
Old 14th April 2010, 19:49   #136
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelightening View Post
Guys, from the forum I came to know that there is a possibility for the FFE to get rusted in future, is there anyway we can get an FFE with the quality of the OEM headers and cans? I am planning to contact shabir soon, lack Vitamin M now . But eagerly waiting for the time to fit one.
You always have the option of going in for stainless steel type headrers.There is stuff available off the shelf like the Greddy/Borla headers which are on the expensive side.

Otherwise for a custom job you always could get the whole FFE made in stainless steel and they sure would cost you a few extra thousands.

BTW why are you so worried about rust in bangalore ? I got my older car(baleno) done from Raj about 3 yrs back and havent had any problems(rust issues) till date. The car is sold now though.
Old 14th April 2010, 19:57   #137
BHPian

headers indeed have a tendency to rust faster. After all they are mild steel. Stainless steel would keep you troublefree for a longer time but yes you have too loosen up your pants a bit more.
Old 14th April 2010, 21:04   #138
Distinguished - BHPian

Jassi has a Raj FFE on his Santro. Sounds superb! Everyone was commenting on how nice it sounded during the trackday in Madras last month.
Old 14th April 2010, 21:05   #139
BHPian

Guys, can anyone post in the pics of FFE designed for their WagonR or alto. This will help to have a better idea
Old 16th April 2010, 14:42   #140
BHPian

Update 1:

Got the Green cotton WIND closed intake system (aka CAI) installed today on my santro. Though there is no significant increase in performance (which I anyway expected), the car is breathing freely now and fun to drive. Next is to mate the car with a free flow and I have reserved a slot on Sunday to do the same at shabbir's. Wanted to go for K&N initially but 12.5 K for the Apollo kit sounded too much for me so dropped the idea and went for green. Another thing: Happened to speak to Peter of Pete's regarding installation. A very decent and patient chap I must say. For the kind of busy schedule he has, I did not expect him to be so courteous and answer all my queries patiently. Another strong reason to go for Green.

Once again thank you all for your inputs/advise. Will be back soon with more updates on the FFE part.

FYR, I am attaching the picture sent to me by Peter of Pete's. My installation is done in exact same way.

Thanks,
-Nidhi

PS: Bought the filter and installed it at Hot Tracks on Victoria road (near life style). The cost including filter, dynamization kit, pipings, and labor was 9K.
Attached Images

Old 16th April 2010, 17:33   #141
Senior - BHPian

srinidhi congratulations and a clean install job done there.

Quote:
Though there is no significant increase in performance (which I anyway expected), the car is breathing freely now and fun to drive.
I bet this perception of yours would change once its sunday and you have a free revving engine. All the very best and drive safe. Make sure you don't fry the clutch pre-maturely since its very tempting.
Old 18th April 2010, 00:54   #142
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjstyles69 View Post
Make sure you don't fry the clutch pre-maturely since its very tempting.
Point noted. Thanks rjstyle for the advise. I won't let the sound of FFE surpass the clutch .
Old 19th April 2010, 11:59   #143
BHPian

Got the FFE done!

Update 2:

Got the FFE done yesterday from Shabbir. Initially thought of only going for headers. Once the headers were made, I tested it with the stock end can (muffler). The car felt good in terms of performance but some how the sound was not at all pleasing. There was a lot of fluttering sound coming from the end can hence went for a complete exhaust (header, middle pipe with expansion chamber and the muffler).

After the install, tested the car in normal city traffic as well as on some long empty stretches. The car feels lot peppier and is now very easy to drive. I am very much convinced with its city drive-ability but some how felt that at the top is a bit sluggish. May be its my driving style...

will try to take the pic and post it soon.

Comments and suggestions welcome.

Thanks,
-Nidhi
Old 19th April 2010, 13:34   #144
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Srinidhi View Post
The car feels lot peppier and is now very easy to drive. I am very much convinced with its city drive-ability but some how felt that at the top is a bit sluggish. May be its my driving style...

Thanks,
-Nidhi
Congrats Nidhi. If the top end is sluggish that's because you have gotten yourself street spec headers which is a 4x2x1 design. The 4x2x1 setup improves the torque in the lower gears and helps in city driving.

Usually for top end the design is rally spec and which is usually a 4x1 setup. IMO you wouldn't need this.
Old 19th April 2010, 15:03   #145
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjstyles69 View Post
Congrats Nidhi. If the top end is sluggish that's because you have gotten yourself street spec headers which is a 4x2x1 design. The 4x2x1 setup improves the torque in the lower gears and helps in city driving.

Usually for top end the design is rally spec and which is usually a 4x1 setup. IMO you wouldn't need this.
I thought so. Anyways, the reason I got the CAI and FFE is I wanted to have a car which is fun to drive in city and I am happy that I have got what I want. I will keep updating this thread about short and long term results, advantages, damages and so on.

Thanks,
-Nidhi
Old 19th April 2010, 18:19   #146
BHPian

congratulations Srinidhi, Do put up pics of the install
and also, i wanted to ask you/gurus out here
I've put just headers, I get a whizzing sound(I'm guessing its the same as the fluttering sound you mentioned) when i step on the accelerator. is that normal?
Old 19th April 2010, 19:13   #147
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raghav.carfreak View Post
I've put just headers, I get a whizzing sound(I'm guessing its the same as the fluttering sound you mentioned) when i step on the accelerator. is that normal?
Did you get the complete FFE or only the headers ? Usually the flutter is caused because of an exhaust leak. You might want to check the intermediate pipe and the exhaust pipes mounts.

Otherwise you generally here this flutter when the end can's glass wool is completely burnt.
Old 19th April 2010, 20:11   #148
BHPian

Ive put only the headers,not the entire FFE. Then I guess i should get the intermediate pipe and exhaust pipes mounts checked in that case, But I have a few tests going on this week, would it be safe to wait till the end of the week for this? It's not causing me any problems as such just the small noise which is eliminated when i increase the volume on the stereo :P
Old 19th April 2010, 20:41   #149
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
It's not causing me any problems as such just the small noise which is eliminated when i increase the volume on the stereo :P
Just take it any MASS and have them tighten all the bolts. Should fix the problem.
Old 19th April 2010, 20:57   #150
BHPian

Its a Hyundai Getz buddy, So Hyundai A.S.S or the guy who installed the FFE?(shabbir?)

Most Viewed