Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th November 2008, 20:28   #46
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid6639 View Post
Rahul I don't have an idea, I wasn't there. I told zerocritical that he should get it done street spec for low-mid range only if he is planning on city use. I guess that's what he told shabbir.
The problem with such headers is the car loses out on the highways, lower top speed. And thats where most of the fun is, top end. You hardly get to open in cities, its the highway drives that are most fun. Thats why my headers kick in at 5,000. Primarily due to another factor, torque curve starts to taper off around 5,000. Headers compensate for that loss.
Old 27th November 2008, 20:50   #47
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclaren1885 View Post
The problem with such headers is the car loses out on the highways, lower top speed. And thats where most of the fun is, top end. You hardly get to open in cities, its the highway drives that are most fun. Thats why my headers kick in at 5,000. Primarily due to another factor, torque curve starts to taper off around 5,000. Headers compensate for that loss.
What I've seen is that if header's kick in at higher rpm's you end up losing out on low end torque so driving in traffic is a pain. You need to slip the clutch more. So it's a tradeoff.

Also, I have not noticed any change of top end in my car. Infact it is a little better than before. The thing is the low-mid range headers improve the low-mid range but it does not affect the high rpm range. You feel the high rpm range has gone down because of the improvement in low-mid range. So when you rev you expect it to be linear all the way through but top end remains same as stock so you feel that top end has reduced when it is actually same as earlier.
Old 27th November 2008, 20:59   #48
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
What I've seen is that if header's kick in at higher rpm's you end up losing out on low end torque so driving in traffic is a pain. You need to slip the clutch more. So it's a tradeoff.
. My esteem has a 4x1 header setup and its a pain driving the car in traffic.

I got a new clutch at 35k KMS. The car was driven around with the headers for just a little under 18k KMS. But on the highway and on the track, its pure fun. Haven't tested the performance against another esteem with a 4x2x1 though, so cant comment on which one is quicker or better.

Last edited by n_aditya : 27th November 2008 at 21:01.
Old 27th November 2008, 21:49   #49
Team-BHP Support

Yeah if the headers are for high rpm's it eats your clutch in city driving.
Old 27th November 2008, 21:58   #50
BHPian

Quote:
What I've seen is that if header's kick in at higher rpm's you end up losing out on low end torque so driving in traffic is a pain.
Thats exactly why I opted for low-mid range. Driving in traffic has been better after FFE.

Quote:
Also, I have not noticed any change of top end in my car.
Nor have I noticed any change.
Old 28th November 2008, 00:44   #51
BHPian

@zerocritical: Congrats on the new FFE buddy. Is that a 4x1 header? How is the output from it?

If I am not wrong 4x1 is used for the initial pickup and its mostly used in drag.. right?
Old 28th November 2008, 06:04   #52
c10
BHPian

Got a lot of info going through the thread...

My baby (Zen-Mpfi) has only the end can (no header), I wanted to know if:

1) The FFE needs tuning at anypoint of time, if yes, why??
2) The sound keeps changing, (the tone i mean) is that normal,

Cheers,
c10.
Old 28th November 2008, 06:20   #53
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by c10 View Post
Got a lot of info going through the thread...

My baby (Zen-Mpfi) has only the end can (no header), I wanted to know if:

1) The FFE needs tuning at anypoint of time, if yes, why??
2) The sound keeps changing, (the tone i mean) is that normal,

Cheers,
c10.
You need not get any tuning done for getting the FFE installed.

As you are using the end can alone its normal that sometimes sound changes. Once you get the header done its up to you whether you like to put the end can or not.
Old 28th November 2008, 06:23   #54
c10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinayvtec View Post
You need not get any tuning done for getting the FFE installed.

As you are using the end can alone its normal that sometimes sound changes. Once you get the header done its up to you whether you like to put the end can or not.

Thanks vinayvtec, that was something that concerned me in a long time..

Thanks again,

Cheers,
c10
Old 28th November 2008, 06:57   #55
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
@zerocritical: Congrats on the new FFE buddy. Is that a 4x1 header? How is the output from it?

If I am not wrong 4x1 is used for the initial pickup and its mostly used in drag.. right?
AFAIK a 4x1 setup is a rally spec header and for low end torque a 4x2x1 setup is used.
Old 28th November 2008, 10:19   #56
BHPian

Hi zero - congrats on the new FFE. Hope you are well satisfied. Waiting eagerly for your detailed review. Also post details on any difference in driving pleasure/fuel efficiency etc. Are you running on any aftermarket filter/CAI?
Old 28th November 2008, 10:19   #57
Senior - BHPian

not really rjstyles69,
4x1 cane be tuned for low end torque too.
I know quite a few rally cars with a 4x2x1.
It is the design(length, dia, bend angles) which play the vital role in the performance.
Old 28th November 2008, 10:37   #58
BANNED

Sorry for late reply guys.. Was out with my newly modded baby last night so could come online.

Quote:
Originally Posted by swift8847 View Post
@zerocritical: Congrats for the mods buddy. Am sure you would have fallen in love with your car all over again.

Any considerable change in the mileage??
Thanks swift8847, yes the change made me fall in love with my baby again!!

Its too early for me to comment on FE

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaushik_s View Post
Cool, BTW guys, I've one small question, is it possible to have an FFE without removing the Cat-con? Or the cat-con must be removed to get the free flow?
Kaushik, AFAIK, the cat con has to be removed for installing the full FFE. Rahul,Vid - Can someone pls confirm this?

Quote:

Thanks Vinay, I got a 4x2x1 header. Feels great. Pickup indeed has improved and the sound adds to the feeling of having more pickup!!
Old 28th November 2008, 10:43   #59
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by redfire View Post
Hi zero - congrats on the new FFE. Hope you are well satisfied. Waiting eagerly for your detailed review. Also post details on any difference in driving pleasure/fuel efficiency etc. Are you running on any aftermarket filter/CAI?
Thanks redfire, Yups.. for now I am very much satisfied. Will take some time for a detailed review. May be after or meet so that i can include the highway experience as well.

Its too early for me to comment on FE.

Yes, I have a K&N stock replacement filter installed.
Old 28th November 2008, 10:45   #60
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by zerocritical View Post
Kaushik, AFAIK, the cat con has to be removed for installing the full FFE. Rahul,Vid - Can someone pls confirm this?
In case of swift I am not sure if it is possible to have the cat con with the new headers.

I am sure in case of zerocritical the cat con has been removed as that is the normal practice.

For the Alto you have to remove the cat con as the OE headers and cat-con are almost a single piece.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks