Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th April 2010, 20:57   #151
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by raghav.carfreak View Post
Ive put only the headers,not the entire FFE. Then I guess i should get the intermediate pipe and exhaust pipes mounts checked in that case, But I have a few tests going on this week, would it be safe to wait till the end of the week for this? It's not causing me any problems as such just the small noise which is eliminated when i increase the volume on the stereo :P

It is indeed the exhaust pipe leak, please do attend to it immediately, else you'll have a huge FE issues and even the idle will be erratic.

I had huge problems with my M-800, as it used to bottom many a times rupturing the header exhaust tube, changed back to normal tubeless tyres, now i dont have any troubles.

The end can sure gives a spirited sound, but due to that noise, i never knew my wheel bearings were worn, nor did i get to know my alternator belt was due for change. Retained the Header, but went back to original stock muffler.

All the noise is good, but not at the cost of engine wear.
Old 19th April 2010, 21:16   #152
BHPian

I havn't attached an end can, Just the headers, will look into it at the earliest
Thanks for the advice, will update on the same soon
cheers! so what do you suggest? Hyundai A.S.S or the guy i got the headers from(shabbir)
Old 20th April 2010, 12:31   #153
BHPian

Quote:
congratulations Srinidhi, Do put up pics of the install
and also, i wanted to ask you/gurus out here
I've put just headers, I get a whizzing sound(I'm guessing its the same as the fluttering sound you mentioned) when i step on the accelerator. is that normal?
Even I am getting that whizzing sound. But unlike you, I am getting the sound in idleing and till I cross 2000 RPM. After that things are normal. I asked Shabbir to check if there is a leak and he said that the sound is normal in FFE's because of the catcon being removed and there is no leak. Just to be sure enough, I am going this weekend to Hyundai A.S.S to check for leaks. I suggest you also get it checked asap. You need to check at two places for leak:

1: The place where the header is attached to the engine. In my case, i think this is the culprit. I saw the header end which gets bolted to the engine side and I was not really happy with the finishing. Though there is a gasket between the engine block and the header, if the finishing is not proper, there could be leak is what I am suspecting.

2. The other end on the header which gets bolted to the end can.

Will keep you guys updated.

Regards,
-Nidhi
Old 24th April 2010, 22:18   #154
BHPian

Great upgrade !! can you please post the cost factor too?

As I am driving a two year old wagonR VXI, sometimes I feel that I should go for FFE with the stock K&N replacement air filter. Guys any advice regarding an FFE for wagonR?
Old 29th April 2010, 12:52   #155
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelightening View Post
Great upgrade !! can you please post the cost factor too?

As I am driving a two year old wagonR VXI, sometimes I feel that I should go for FFE with the stock K&N replacement air filter. Guys any advice regarding an FFE for wagonR?
For the Green Cotton CAI I paid 9k including piping, installation et al and for the FFE I paid 8k.

Haven't really seen/heard people having FFE on WagonR but you can definitely try it. No harm in it I guess.
Thanks,
-Nidhi
Old 29th April 2010, 17:14   #156
BHPian

I got the exhaust leaked checked at the Hyundai A.S.S, There was indeed a leak in the exhaust, he replaced it with the gasket and screws that they have, but the thing is, I put my conical K&N filter back on the car(it had gone for cleaning) so now even without the end can, its pretty darn loud at anything above 2000rpm. Now I want to know whether the sound is due to the filter only or Is there still a leak in the exhaust, For that ill have to put my stock filter back to check. will do this DIY, will update you guys in sometime
Old 29th April 2010, 18:27   #157
BHPian

Quote:
I got the exhaust leaked checked at the Hyundai A.S.S, There was indeed a leak in the exhaust, he replaced it with the gasket and screws that they have, but the thing is, I put my conical K&N filter back on the car(it had gone for cleaning) so now even without the end can, its pretty darn loud at anything above 2000rpm. Now I want to know whether the sound is due to the filter only or Is there still a leak in the exhaust, For that ill have to put my stock filter back to check. will do this DIY, will update you guys in sometime

It is indeed the filter's sound. When I had my CAI installed, without FFE, the car was making a lot of sound. After FFE, it somehow got nullified or is it just my ears .

Since you have a universal conical filter, more noise at high RPM is expected.

Thanks,
-Nidhi
Old 29th April 2010, 19:32   #158
Senior - BHPian

raghav if you are running a conical intake there will be a fair amount of hissing sound at <3k rpm. Also if the headers is designed for street spec' you again would experience this hissing sound at lower rpms. However this isn't as pronounced as when you have an exhaust leak.

The best way to figure out is to open the hood and check for yourself. If the hyundai A S S has fixed the exhaust leak then please check the headers itself. If you dint know headers are also prone to leaks at the joints. I am attaching an image for reference.

Free Flow Exhaust in Bangalore-4gheadersss.jpg
Old 29th April 2010, 21:51   #159
BHPian

hey guys, thanks alot for the responses, but I removed the conical filter just to check if there's a problem in the exhaust or its my mind playing games with me, because when i'd put the filter, and i revved it on neutral, it sounded like it had an end can and an extreme performance filter, even though it sounds amazing,not very practical to use it at home with parents
I tried putting my hand on the headers to see if there's a leak there, but it was too hot for me to touch and i almost burnt my hand, and also i couldnt get my hands on the lower end of the headers
So i have two options now, I can take it to the hyundai A.S.S again to get it checked again (in case the screw he bolted on is loose, (i tipped the guy 100bucks when he said nothing was required, so I'm expecting good service this time around)
If that still doesn't solve it, Ill go to shabbir itself on the weekend because the A.S.S guys didn't know "the new outside fitting onto the exhaust" so I really doubt theyll be able to solve a leak in the headers atleast(even though it was diagnosed to be in where the 2pipes meet the stock exhaust)
just for my information, If at all there is a leak in the headers, what is the solution to that?
Old 29th April 2010, 23:36   #160
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I tried putting my hand on the headers to see if there's a leak there, but it was too hot for me to touch and i almost burnt my hand, and also i couldnt get my hands on the lower end of the headers
Damn I never asked you to put your hands in there under the hood near the header and check . What I meant was to check if the noise is originating from the air filter or from the headers pipes.

Quote:
just for my information, If at all there is a leak in the headers, what is the solution to that?
Shabbir could weld it properly back for you if the leak is in the locations I pointed out in the previous post.
Old 29th April 2010, 23:41   #161
BHPian

I forgot to add that even after changing back to the stock filter, the noise/hiss remains, so either the leak isn't fixed properly or there's a leak in the headers, ill get it checked with hyundai once again, if not, will go to shabbir
worst case scenario even after everything it doesn't work, ill meet up with a fellow team BHPian and figure out that if I'm breaking my head unnecessarily or there's actually a genuine problem.
little off topic, filled fuel today, got an average of about 10.5kmpl without ac(full tank-full tank), this is when I've been shifting anywhere between 2.5k-4k rpm,and taking off from signals(prime reason to get headers in the first place) Earlier i used to get 11-11.5 shifting at 2.5k rpm only(before the headers)
Is this alright?
thanks in advance.
Old 29th April 2010, 23:53   #162
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
little off topic, filled fuel today, got an average of about 10.5kmpl without ac(full tank-full tank), this is when I've been shifting anywhere between 2.5k-4k rpm,and taking off from signals(prime reason to get headers in the first place) Earlier i used to get 11-11.5 shifting at 2.5k rpm only(before the headers)
Is this alright?
thanks in advance.
I have pulled off better mileage numbers after having the headers installed in my older car.Ideally depends on your driving style . You will get better at it over time coz with street spec headers and sedate driving IMO it shouldn't be a problem .
Old 30th April 2010, 12:36   #163
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjstyles69 View Post
I have pulled off better mileage numbers after having the headers installed in my older car.Ideally depends on your driving style . You will get better at it over time coz with street spec headers and sedate driving IMO it shouldn't be a problem .
The problem with the headers is, you cannot do a sedate driving...it makes you press the throttle all the time ....anyways as far as the mileage is concerned, I checked it from full tank to full tank and I am getting 11 to 11.5 with ac on at some occasions....same as what I used to get earlier.

Thanks,
-Nidhi
Old 30th April 2010, 22:12   #164
BHPian

hey folks,
small update,
Removed the conical filter, sound was still present, went to Bosch Car Service on outer ring road today, Got the exhaust checked, Gasket had been changed at Hyundai yesterday, but he didn't change the nut-bolt that goes into it,(it was the one shabbirs guys had put) according to the Bosch guy, It was a bolt that's used on the suspension!!
So he changed the bolt, tightened it, charged me 50bucks for the whole thing, I drove out a happy guy because now there's a small hissing sound only if i reach 3k rpm or drive at a low speed on a high gear
plan to keep this set up for a few days just to check if 'aal is well', will put in the conical filter back within a couple of weeks!!
Cheers!
Old 30th April 2010, 23:49   #165
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Srinidhi View Post
The problem with the headers is, you cannot do a sedate driving...it makes you press the throttle all the time ....anyways as far as the mileage is concerned, I checked it from full tank to full tank and I am getting 11 to 11.5 with ac on at some occasions....same as what I used to get earlier.

Thanks,
-Nidhi
Its not always like that buddy, i've been running FFE on my M-800 since 5 yrs. I've always driven it sedate, pushing the car occasionally to top speeds. With all the closed ratio gearbox, K&N, FFE the M-800 drives crazy.

Since 5 yrs my FE has never reduced from 17 kmpl. Presently due to the scorching summer heat. I've gone in for stock replacement muffler, running the car quietly untill the rainy/winter seasons come back

Hissing sound never came, but off-late Shabbir has been HISSING a lot. Become too complacent/arrogant and careless.

I lost my original VW Bug's muffler at his shop sometime back. My header always use to leak. Everytime you go to him, his boys would say "Kuch nahi saab, aap chupke.......!.....?" Got it done at a local fabricator, now its working fine.

I feel its time we get someone better than Shabbir in the market.

Last edited by PAVAN KADAM : 30th April 2010 at 23:54.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks