Team-BHP - Ractive Tachometer 3.5'' does not cross 3000 RPM on Max Revv
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Modifications & Accessories (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifications-accessories/)
-   -   Ractive Tachometer 3.5'' does not cross 3000 RPM on Max Revv (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifications-accessories/49355-ractive-tachometer-3-5-does-not-cross-3000-rpm-max-revv.html)

hi guys, i just fixed a Ractive RPM meter with a shift light and 7 colors earlier today. the problem is the Rpm meter is it stays on 500RPM on IDLE(accurate i think), and doesnt cross 3000RPM even after revving really high which should probably show like 7000RPM. im hoping some one could shine some light on this.
I own a Ford Ikon 2002 clxi 1.3 which originally doesnt come with a RPM meter. i have got it fixed from a experienced guy here in pune.

Its most probable that your car has a Distributor-less ignition system. You'll need a tachometer that has a 2 cylinder switch in it.

HMm, I have a Ractive 2" tacho on my Ikon Dash. I have a Endura engine (just like your Ikon) Exi . My switch is at 4 cylinder mode. The engine actually does not revv up that much, I don't know whether yours is a genuine problem, but after fitting the tacho my car was not showing above 3000 RPM.
Now after fitting a K&N performance filter it touches 3500 RPM comfy, and if I stretch it a bit it touches 4000. On standing revvs the car touches about max 5000.
I think the culprit here is not the tacho, but its the car, maybe the gearing is built in a way that it cannot revv very high on the move in stock condition.
I maybe wrong.

bluraven. im sure the ikon engine should revv to at least 6.5k rpm.

I think its about the Dual ignition coil issue (like santro's and swifts lxi's),your tacho much be getting half reading.Try switching the cylinder settings as well

Had a tach in my ikon 1.3 endura. Had the same issue.
Solution is to source the signal from the ECU.

Note from the Team-BHP Support Staff : Slang and SMS Language are STRICTLY prohibited on Team-BHP. Please type in full and proper English for the benefit of other community members.
Please take the time to use proper punctuation as per Team-BHP rules.
We advise you to read the Announcements and Board Rules section before proceeding any further.

firstly im really shocked to see so many replys in matter of coupla hours... Thanks guys!!
well i checked it out with the dealer again.. he said hes gonna check out with other customers whoz purchased it too,but then its gonna take a day or two.

Blueraven316 thers a choice between 4 - 6 - 8 for the switch behind it, its already been set to 4.
akshay1234 the ikons1.3 surely does revv more than 6.5 cause in the spec it delivers 69.04bhp@5500rpm, so definitly ther room for more revv...yea?? do correct me if im wrong
nitrous could you please fill me in on how about you source the signal from the ECU.im guessing the wires to the meter are taken from the ECU already..

Quote:

Originally Posted by harsh87 (Post 1061480)
Its most probable that your car has a Distributor-less ignition system. You'll need a tachometer that has a 2 cylinder switch in it.

thers no 2cly setting.. it only shows 4-6-8 at the back..

Happened with me also, when trying to fit a 5" Autogauge tacho in my Swift, It showed half reading, and since i had a stock tacho i could see the aftermaket tacho not showing correct reading, then the signal was sourced from the ECU, and it showed complete reading.

Two ways, either get yourself a DIS Tacho, with 2 Clyn setting or sourced the signal from the ECU

When you source the signal from the ECU, isn't it harmful to the ECU itself? just incase if there might be voltage hitting back from the Gauge to the ECU or maybe if the gauge gets short would it affect the ECU ? these ECU's are pretty expensive incase of a mishap! lol

Its only showing half the revs. I am not sure what is the problem, but am sure its showing only half. 500 idling is also too low.

how are your meters working??to guys who have sourced their rpm guage from the ECU and how long has it been since urll fixed it??
any problems faced so far?

As everyone said, you might need a DIS compatible tacho which means it should have a 2 cylinder setting. Autometer / autogauge make a small box that does emulate the 2 cylinder setting, if you can get this then the RPMS will shoot up to normal.

Quote:

Originally Posted by aZa (Post 1063294)
As everyone said, you might need a DIS compatible tacho which means it should have a 2 cylinder setting. Autometer / autogauge make a small box that does emulate the 2 cylinder setting, if you can get this then the RPMS will shoot up to normal.

Aza,
Does the normal tachometer work fine with the convertor box?? Been looking for the same for a really long time.

I guess the others have already told you what to do with this problem.

Quote:

and doesnt cross 3000RPM even after revving really high which should probably show like 7000RPM.
Didn't the '02 Ikons come with the antique pushrod 58 BHP engine? No way in hell that engine will touch 7,000 rpm.

Quote:

i have got it fixed from a experienced guy here in pune.
That guy ain't no expert; he is an idiot for not testing his install prior to delivery. It is either the wrong product or the wrong install that is causing your rpm gauge to behave this way.

i just returned the Ractive Rpm meter today after a long argument. Told him "wat use is a performance meter which does not perform ??" he started blaming the car sayin the car doesnt put out enough power to run the rpm meter and suggested me to fix a free flow. but then anyways in the end i got rid of it.

Well im still looking for Rpm meters, today i had a look at the Autoguage meters, it supports 3 - 4 - 6 cyl engines only. would it help if i fit a 3cylinder rpm meter ?? ther was a 2inch as well as a 3.5inch, some how i cant find any 2 cyl rpm meter. i tried finding out about the device tht would help shoot up the rpm, somehow no one knows about it here.

Any suggestions anyone??or any puniets who who have their sources wher i could find one???
thanks in advance guys!!