Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories

Search this Thread
Old 21st December 2010, 13:26   #76
Senior - BHPian

Re: Car steering 'Covers' - are they any good?

Quote:
Originally Posted by josejoseph View Post

Dear motomaverick, I found WagonR gear knob's to feel better than the M800 and even they both have the same shape. The difference in feel is because of some kind of chrome finish.

Thanks,
Jose.
Ok got that, i thought its something to do with how it is shaped in Wagon r, i do not prefer the round ones.

Anyways lets see if I can try Pennse leathers.
Old 21st December 2010, 20:43   #77
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by josejoseph View Post
The brand name is Vanquish leather. They showed me 2 types costing @ Rs. 1300/- & another @ Rs. 2500/- The latter type is much smoother to feel.

Thanks for your pointers on covering the gear knob. Never thought about it. I'll certainly check with them.

Thanks,
Jose.
Hey mate,

I would suggest you to ask them the types, like whether it is split, top grain or nappa or some other variety. I am assuming it would be the split variety at 1.3K. My suggestion is to stick with the 1.3K option because we are no experts & it is often probable that we might get a cheaper variety even if we spend extra. Plus, much of the difference is only in the feel & texture.

@ALL: Does any body have an idea about the cost of the Alto K10 steering wheel? Also, any pointers to a MGA store from where I could get it in Delhi/NCR? I am thinking of changing the steering wheel in my Alto 800cc with that of the K10 just because I am bored of using the same steering wheel for the past 7 years, moreover the K10 wheel looks chunkier. Any pointers in this regard would be highly appreciated.

Drive safe.

Last edited by blackfire_9 : 21st December 2010 at 20:45.
Old 22nd December 2010, 09:58   #78
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackfire_9 View Post
Hey mate,

I would suggest you to ask them the types, like whether it is split, top grain or nappa or some other variety. I am assuming it would be the split variety at 1.3K. My suggestion is to stick with the 1.3K option because we are no experts & it is often probable that we might get a cheaper variety even if we spend extra. Plus, much of the difference is only in the feel & texture.
I'll stick to 1.3K. I've no idea about leather materials, but will be happy if any one can brief me about the type & texture of leather materials.

Generally, people never spend so much for a steering cover on an M800. It's an overkill.

I faced similar attitude when I went searching for seat covers. I wanted Autoform seat covers, found the dealer in Cochin and asked him to show me the types. I liked uBurr & uPass priced at 6K & 8.5K respectively. Wanted to go for uBurr, but the dealer was adamant that spending 6K for seat covers in M800 is way too much. Finally, fell under his coaxing and ordered uStyle priced at 4K.

Quote:
@ALL: Does any body have an idea about the cost of the Alto K10 steering wheel? Also, any pointers to a MGA store from where I could get it in Delhi/NCR? I am thinking of changing the steering wheel in my Alto 800cc with that of the K10 just because I am bored of using the same steering wheel for the past 7 years, moreover the K10 wheel looks chunkier. Any pointers in this regard would be highly appreciated.

Drive safe.
I'm glad that you asked this question. Even I too wanted to know the price of K10/WagonR steering wheel if it fits directly on M800.

Regards,
Jose.
Old 22nd December 2010, 11:04   #79
Senior - BHPian

^^ jose, some times I wish I had a building full of gold coins. There's just too much that I want to do on my ride.

Anyways, getting out of my day dream, I just wanted to suggest another thing w.r.t seat covers. It is an option I am considering & would want to know if you had tried it out. I have been able to locate a guy who does leather seat covers or PU based seat covers at a price lesser than that of autoform. I feel that would be much more VFM. But before I take any decision, do you have any experience down this road?

As for M800 or Alto, honestly, at times I also feel that such expenses aren't justified looking at the cost (or status) of the car. But what the hell, it's my car & since I cannot afford a better car right now, I will do best with what I have.

Drive safe.

PS: Please do let me know in case you get to know about the cost of the K10 steering wheel & whether or not it is a direct fit on M800 & Alto.
Old 22nd December 2010, 16:01   #80
BHPian

Quote:
Guys, just for all those who might not be aware, Stanley is present in Delhi & Gurgaon. We can get the steering covers & gear knobs etc stitched from them.

Drive safe.
Can you share the contact details?
Old 22nd December 2010, 20:09   #81
Senior - BHPian

^^ hey mate, sorry but I couldn't see your reply on this thread earlier. However, it was good to know that you were able to get in touch with some concerned personnel of the company & have a word with them.

Drive safe.
Old 22nd December 2010, 20:36   #82
BHPian

The best steering cover i seen(driven) till date is what `koyas, Coimbatore' have. No one does leather wrapping better than koyas. It costs under 2k, but the stitch and leather quality is superb!
Old 22nd December 2010, 21:18   #83
Senior - BHPian

^^ Hey mate, can you post a couple of pictures in case you have gotten some jobs done in your car from them. It would help the Bhpians at Coimbatore & also might give the others sitting afar some new ideas

Drive safe.
Old 30th January 2011, 23:34   #84
Senior - BHPian

Guys - I need a new steering cover for my Getz. Please suggest a decent place in Mumbai.

Does Stanley still sells Pro-Grip?

Or is G Sport a better choice?
Old 31st January 2011, 18:17   #85
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nishantgandhi View Post
Guys - I need a new steering cover for my Getz. Please suggest a decent place in Mumbai.

Does Stanley still sells Pro-Grip?

Or is G Sport a better choice?
Try to get the handstitched pure leather cover. It would cost around 1.5K but would give a better feel and look. Stanley would have a store in Mumbai right? Also Karlsson website shows a contact number in Mumbai. Both will be good and will give the OEM look
Old 31st January 2011, 19:36   #86
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abeer View Post
Can you share the contact details?
Is Stanley present in Gurgaon? Please share.

Quote:

Drive safe.
If you happen to live in/around Gurgaon, there is an MGA store named Alva Autos on Old Delhi Road. They can provide you with all the original spares. And as far as I believe the shop is owned by MUL.

BTW I am using a hand wrapped leather steering cover which feels excellent. Cost me around 400 at the local accessory shop. I believe the Esteem really has a good steering wheel but a cover is mandatory as it is made of rubber and it starts wearing and breaking after considerable use.
Old 31st January 2011, 21:37   #87
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinner666 View Post
If you happen to live in/around Gurgaon, there is an MGA store named Alva Autos on Old Delhi Road. They can provide you with all the original spares. And as far as I believe the shop is owned by MUL.

BTW I am using a hand wrapped leather steering cover which feels excellent. Cost me around 400 at the local accessory shop. I believe the Esteem really has a good steering wheel but a cover is mandatory as it is made of rubber and it starts wearing and breaking after considerable use.
Hey mate, thanks for sharing the information. The plans of changing the steering wheel with that of the K10's have been dropped since I was informed by a guy who deals in this stuff that the linkages are somewhat different in the K10 & the 800cc Alto. However, I can use this shop for any future needs, so thanks again mate.

I am also presently using the normal leather steering covers which you get at accessory shops, woven with thread. But I am now considering the hand stitched one. Don't have free time these days & hence I haven't yet gotten the job done, though I have spoken to a guy who can do this job.

Drive safe.

@jose: Got something done in your car?
Old 1st February 2011, 09:22   #88
BHPian

Quote:
blackfire_9, I haven't put leather steering covers. I have the same reason as you have:
Quote:
Don't have free time these days & hence I haven't yet gotten the job done
Regards,
Jose.
Old 1st February 2011, 17:50   #89
BHPian

Quote:
Hey mate, thanks for sharing the information. The plans of changing the steering wheel with that of the K10's have been dropped since I was informed by a guy who deals in this stuff that the linkages are somewhat different in the K10 & the 800cc Alto. However, I can use this shop for any future needs, so thanks again mate.

I am also presently using the normal leather steering covers which you get at accessory shops, woven with thread. But I am now considering the hand stitched one. Don't have free time these days & hence I haven't yet gotten the job done, though I have spoken to a guy who can do this job.

Drive safe.

Do let us know when, from where and for how much you get it done.
Old 1st February 2011, 20:15   #90
Senior - BHPian

^^ I know of two places near my place in Delhi. If South Delhi suits you, let me know, maybe we can get it done together & I can finally come out of my laziness

The quote from one place was 1.5K for steering ring, gear knob, & gear boot. The other place quoted 1.7K for the same job.

Drive safe.

Most Viewed