Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st February 2011, 20:29   #91
Senior - BHPian

Re: Car steering 'Covers' - are they any good?

I am kinda late to the discussion, but I use a slip-on microfiber memory foam steering cover. good part is in this country the service guys are super clean and it never gets soiled. And this is on top of my leather covered steering that came with the car, which was not soft. I like the soft grip, only thing is in peak winter it becomes very hard.

owing to my thin frame and no fat, I use extra cushioning almost everywhere.

Old 1st February 2011, 22:28   #92
BHPian

My i10 has a leather cover from Ovion. Got it as a freebie with the car.
It is great to grip and gives a nice meaty feel to the steering. It's really a pleasure to hold. Only grouse is a little thread that's sticking out like a sour thumb
Attached Thumbnails
Car steering 'Covers' - are they any good?-29082010899.jpg  

Old 27th July 2011, 10:53   #93
BHPian

Have any of you tried to use the soft grips available for Badminton rackets as the steering cover. These tapes are soft, long lasting and gives you good grip on the racket. At around 150-200 per tape, I guess we'll end up needing around 5-6 units of tape for the entire steering. And there's no need to have it stitched (so no threads appearing).
Old 1st August 2011, 11:34   #94
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalpeshc View Post
Have any of you tried to use the soft grips available for Badminton rackets as the steering cover. These tapes are soft, long lasting and gives you good grip on the racket. At around 150-200 per tape, I guess we'll end up needing around 5-6 units of tape for the entire steering. And there's no need to have it stitched (so no threads appearing).
But over time, one problem you would face is the glue from under the grip leaking onto the adjacent tapes surface - Those tapes are not designed for the kind of use that a steering wheel faces - the huge lateral friction when you make a turn for instance.
Old 1st August 2011, 12:43   #95
Senior - BHPian

Can anyone tell me where can I get hand-stitched leather steering cover done in Hyderabad?
Old 25th November 2011, 17:13   #96
BHPian

Good news Delhi people..
Just spoke to Arush Today ( The Guy from Autopsyche) , he confirmed that they do deal in Real leather Hand stiched steering covers , will cost you between 1500 to 2500 depending on the vehicle and the work they do.
Old 3rd December 2011, 16:56   #97
Senior - BHPian

^^ There are quite a few other places that do this kind of work. But good to know that another one gets added to the list now.
Old 3rd December 2011, 18:06   #98
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adimicra View Post
Can anyone tell me where can I get hand-stitched leather steering cover done in Hyderabad?
If you are OK with art leather, any of the accessory shops that deal in custom made art leather seat covers will get one made for you and then have it hand stiched on the steering.
If you are looking for real leather, may be you could enquire the same guys, they may have leather peices too.
Old 18th December 2011, 13:10   #99
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MA5K View Post
^ me too.

nice to hear the time u got it done. i am interested, just for that sake. Everywhere else they ask to come by 9:30 or so and collect the car afternoon.
It's almost been a year and half since i got leather steering and managed to click some pics today - details (post # 27)
Old 19th December 2011, 20:30   #100
BHPian

My cars steering wheel becomes too hot to touch when parked in the sun

I often have to grip the wheel with a towel for sometime.

Its is M800 original steering.
Will leather covers heat up?
Is it possible to get fabric covers, cos my hands get sweaty too.
I have seen a sort of sponge covering on my friends car but it was moving around a lot on the steering and i did not like it slipping and sliding when i steer.
I do not think spending 1.5-2k is worth it on my old 800, so can u suggest a cheaper synthetic cover or fabric cover which a)does not heat up b)preferably absorb sweat.

And @Rohan or somebody from Goa, it would be helpful if u can direct me to a place in Goa where i can get it done. Please give directions/contact no as i just moved to Goa.
Old 19th December 2011, 20:34   #101
BHPian

also got this crazy idea of covering the steering in turkey towel and stitchin it up.(i am a sucker for DIY) any opinions?

I have already covered the driving seats with turkey towel (like the cabwallas do) it feels way better than the stock rexine seats.
Old 29th February 2012, 20:40   #102
BHPian

The leather steering in my Accord was wearing off over the last 6 months. I finally hopped across to Orchis, Vikrholi yesterday for a pure leather steering cover after trying out and hating a couple of alternatives at friendly neighbourhood accessory shops.

The facility was great, all to be delivered cars from JMD Skoda come here directly from the showroom for interior upgradation packages. I was a bit apprehensive about steering removal (airbags) but was professionally done.

The pictures.
Attached Thumbnails
Car steering 'Covers' - are they any good?-img519.jpg  

Car steering 'Covers' - are they any good?-img520.jpg  

Car steering 'Covers' - are they any good?-img521.jpg  

Car steering 'Covers' - are they any good?-img522.jpg  

Car steering 'Covers' - are they any good?-img523.jpg  

d_himan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th February 2012, 22:39   #103
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_himan View Post
The leather steering in my Accord was wearing off over the last 6 months. I finally hopped across to Orchis, Vikrholi yesterday for a pure leather steering cover after trying out and hating a couple of alternatives at friendly neighbourhood accessory shops.

The facility was great, all to be delivered cars from JMD Skoda come here directly from the showroom for interior upgradation packages. I was a bit apprehensive about steering removal (airbags) but was professionally done.

The pictures.
Looks great-how much did you pay?
and did they remove the steering wheel for stitching?
Old 1st March 2012, 06:12   #104
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay4587 View Post
Looks great-how much did you pay?
and did they remove the steering wheel for stitching?
Thanks! Yes, the steering wheel was removed and the job took a couple of hours (plus some waiting since there were 8 vehicles when I went at 4 pm). There's a nice air conditioned waiting lounge though.

I was a bit apprehensive initially (Airbag/will the steering be a bit loose etc) but the fitting back was completely professional. I got a discount and paid 2K but Anil, who runs the show, told me the cost can go upto 3.5 K depending on the leather.
Old 1st March 2012, 07:03   #105
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe-Ker
also got this crazy idea of covering the steering in turkey towel and stitchin it up.(i am a sucker for DIY) any opinions?

I have already covered the driving seats with turkey towel (like the cabwallas do) it feels way better than the stock rexine seats.
Excellent for summers
But how do you keep the material clean?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks