Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th December 2008, 17:57   #1
BHPian

Aftermarket Steering Wheel for Indica Xeta

Hi friends

starting this thread on behalf of a friend - Black Indica.

In spite of having power steering, he finds the steering very heavy. Will changing to an aftermarket steering wheel (Smaller diameter) have any effect on this?

Could you also suggest where he can buy and get it fitted, and brands.. Checked out Momo, but it is out of budget (costs 2.5k+)

Cheers!

SB
Old 8th December 2008, 18:31   #2
Senior - BHPian

I think decent quality steering wheels will always cost around 2.5 k +.

Is it not that reduced diameter of the steering will need additional force to operate than the one with larger diameter?
Old 8th December 2008, 18:51   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by silver baleno View Post
In spite of having power steering, he finds the steering very heavy.Will changing to an aftermarket steering wheel (Smaller diameter) have any effect on this?
SB
>>>> Yes It would further increase the problem!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by silver baleno View Post
Could you also suggest where he can buy and get it fitted, and brands.. Checked out Momo, but it is out of budget (costs 2.5k+)SB
>>>>> Changing steering wheel may would give mild change in feel(If at all in this case), Stiff Power steering might be a result of malfunctioning or wornout steering column/pump. Oversized tyres/underinflated tyres are also major contributors-check for them.
All done by your self?-don't overdo-Better get it checked with some seasoned mechanic!!
Old 8th December 2008, 19:06   #4
Senior - BHPian

I wonder if his power steering seals have leaked off all the fluid. Happened to me once - no fluid = heavy steering. the lines are very vulnerable and can scrape off over speed breakers. ask him to get it checked.
Having said that , the indica xeta does have the lightest steering of all the indicas - especially when compared to my turbo which is at the other end, having a heavier engine and bigger wheels. of course , its nowhere near as light as even the non PS altos

I doubt if a smaller dia steering wheel will help things. But if you really want one , you can use the one from the indigo CS. its a smaller dia wheel, and fitting it onto the xeta should be relatively straightforward

Last edited by greenhorn : 8th December 2008 at 19:08.
Old 8th December 2008, 19:25   #5
BHPian

Smaller dia steering wheel will require more force application. Will not help but make things worse. Check for any power steering faults as greenhorn suggests.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks