Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th December 2006, 13:03   #16
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudra Sen View Post
shazikon,
Check with Hot Tracks (Anil) at Residency Road
Is this source for platinum plugs still valid? Where else can I get those in Bangalore?

I have OHC VTEC and am looking for new set of platinum spark plugs.
Old 15th December 2006, 13:55   #17
BHPian

you can try hot tracks on residency road or ozz one on old madras road or contact methods automotive, guess they are distributors for irridium plugs in bangalore.
Old 15th December 2006, 14:44   #18
BHPian

I was looking for platinum plugs. Hot Tracks don't have platinum except Bosch Super4. And that too was like Rs. 750 a piece.
Old 13th February 2007, 10:20   #19
BHPian

irdium by ngk make quite a diference even without new wires on my corolla
Old 20th February 2007, 23:46   #20
BHPian

I have a couple of related questions.

1. Can I use the same Iridium plugs that are used in Santro ? I want to feel if the plugs make any difference in my Petra and then go for them.

2. Do I have to necessarily change the cables/ wires if I go for Iridium plugs ?

I am primarily looking for better low end torque, I may start with K&N stock replacement in the next month or So and then go for Iridium plugs.

Has one tried Iridium plugs and K&N stock combination or separately, I appreciate any feedback.

Last edited by sreenivass : 20th February 2007 at 23:57. Reason: another question
Old 20th February 2007, 23:55   #21
Senior - BHPian

how much do these splitfire cables and NGK Sparkplugs cost for a ford ikon 1.3 totally stock...done 56000km approx doing about 9.5-11/km
Old 21st February 2007, 03:33   #22
BHPian

Quote:
1. Can I use the same Iridium plugs that are used in Santro ? I want to feel if the plugs make any difference in my Petra and then go for them.
I'm not sure of the difference but you'd have to make sure the clearence is right. If the spark plug is too long then you might need to use a washer.
Quote:
2. Do I have to necessarily change the cables/ wires if I go for Iridium plugs ?
Recomended but not compulsary
Quote:
I am primarily looking for better low end torque, I may start with K&N stock replacement in the next month or So and then go for Iridium plugs.
Don't think changing your spark plugs and replacing the filter will do much to your low end torque. Iridium spark plugs are not going to make a difference on stock engines. Even if there is, it would be marginal. Iridium spark plugs are mostly used in race tuned engines.
Old 21st February 2007, 08:32   #23
BHPian

I'd appreciate if some of the guru's can tell me what I'll gain by going for

K&N Stock replacement and Iridium plugs.

From the knowledge I gathered, it seems like I can get

1. better low end performance for city drive,
2. FE improvement, I am not necessarily looking but a bonus does not hurt.

speed works site suggests Iridium plugs give better low end torque. K&N site quotes an improvement of 3 BHP, not sure if it is using stock replacement filters.
Old 21st February 2007, 09:08   #24
Team-BHP Support

I have k&n stock replacement filter and frankly speaking it's not of much use. it's all in the head that your mileage increases and you get better power.

Although your intake sound becomes pronounced.

Iridium plugs I havent tried but they improve low end torque and last longer than standard plugs. the spark is supposed to be more precise leading to better combustion.
Old 22nd February 2007, 00:03   #25

Also if i may add -

Due to the properties of Iridium, the spark plugs centre electrode can be made with a much smaller diameter than with platinum, Gold or gold palladium and copper/nickel types without sacrificing service life. The spark plugs potential difference is more concentrated at the tiny Iridium tip and hence less 'spark jump' voltage is required - this can be as much as 5,000 volts less than with standard plug types. Ignition is improved and less strain is placed on the ignition system. Benefits of improved ignition/combustion include better fuel economy, increased power/acceleration and especially better throttle response
Old 25th February 2007, 22:39   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prithvi View Post
Hi!
3. Use a 32-bit ECU instead of the 16-bit one.
There are no benefits - wrt performance - even if you manage to get one working on your car.
Old 25th February 2007, 22:55   #27
BHPian

i have ngk iridiums in my elantra............the preformance comes with time. Also, they have made my car run smoother, a bit more pick-up , slight difference in sound too...........But overall a ever so slight difference and not much.................so only if you have 3k extra lying about go for them,,,,,,,,,,
Old 25th February 2007, 23:09   #28
BHPian

Thanks every one that replied

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCockroach View Post
I'm not sure of the difference but you'd have to make sure the clearence is right. If the spark plug is too long then you might need to use a washer. Recomended but not compulsaryDon't think changing your spark plugs and replacing the filter will do much to your low end torque. Iridium spark plugs are not going to make a difference on stock engines. Even if there is, it would be marginal. Iridium spark plugs are mostly used in race tuned engines.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vid6639 View Post
I have k&n stock replacement filter and frankly speaking it's not of much use. it's all in the head that your mileage increases and you get better power.

Although your intake sound becomes pronounced.

Iridium plugs I havent tried but they improve low end torque and last longer than standard plugs. the spark is supposed to be more precise leading to better combustion.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beeman View Post
i have ngk iridiums in my elantra............the preformance comes with time. Also, they have made my car run smoother, a bit more pick-up , slight difference in sound too...........But overall a ever so slight difference and not much.................so only if you have 3k extra lying about go for them,,,,,,,,,,
All these replies leave me confused. A couple of guys saying yep they improve performance and others saying it is so marginal to nil, do not spend unless you have surplus.

Can I have inputs from either Palio 1.6 or Petra 1.6 guys that have done K&N stock replacement and Iridium plugs with/ without cables ?

K&N seems to be a kind of out of favor, I do not want any increase in noise wherever it is. May be I'll try just the Iridium plugs from some one else's car, based on the feel I can make a decision.

Thanks to every one that replied.
Old 26th February 2007, 07:47   #29
Senior - BHPian

I have iridium sparks without cables. Now cold starting is very easy. Marginal increase in pick up. Also engine seems to be a bit smoother at high speeds. Suren has spark pulgs with cables. It seems its working even better. Talk to Suren. Might be able to clear out.
Old 26th February 2007, 17:57   #30
BHPian

A second Santro owner recommending iridium plugs, thanks Kutlee.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks