Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th February 2007, 22:58   #31
BHPian

Hey! Maybe . But is it safe to use Iridium plugs with cables on a grooved engine? Any issues? I was just thinking about Iridium plugs as well as a grooved engine. Joining these 2 would have a lot improvement won't it?
Old 3rd March 2007, 17:29   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sreenivass View Post
All these replies leave me confused. A couple of guys saying yep they improve performance and others saying it is so marginal to nil, do not spend unless you have surplus.

Can I have inputs from either Palio 1.6 or Petra 1.6 guys that have done K&N stock replacement and Iridium plugs with/ without cables ?

K&N seems to be a kind of out of favor, I do not want any increase in noise wherever it is. May be I'll try just the Iridium plugs from some one else's car, based on the feel I can make a decision.

Thanks to every one that replied.
K&N filter being less restrictive will simply allow your engine to breathe deeper. For performance gains you will have to have exhaust mods like a free flow system to help move the fuel mixture faster--in and out, volume and velocity. An iridium or a precious metal electrode plug has finer groundstrap and electrode, therefore exposing more of the spark to the combustible mixture and allowing a fatter, stronger spark to accurately jump the gap. An iridium projected tip plug places the electrode further inside the combustion chamber into the path of the air-fuel mixture theoretically aiding in a more complete combustion.

Can't say about cars, but the K&N filter, custom free flow exhaust and iridium plug, low resistance spiral ignition wire in my Bullet 350 has given it extra snort and good idling, something which I plan to replicate on my Bullet 500 which is being redone. I have a Palio 1.6 and as soon as I have some extra money, in comes the K&N, free flow exhaust and iridium plugs!

Lots of resources on the net. Look up
Auto Exhaust Science
Old 21st March 2007, 17:29   #33
BHPian

Hi. I planned to upgrade to OWS Iridium sparkplugs.. The guy didn't have stock, so he told he would source it for me tomorrow. He quoted 675/plug. Is it ok? I remember the model he showed (only one sparkplug he had) was some ZX-3L something. Can i go ahead? Later I'll change the sparkplug cables.

-Absar

for the double post.. Mods, delete this please!

Last edited by Absar : 21st March 2007 at 17:32.
Old 21st March 2007, 17:29   #34
BHPian

Hi. I planned to upgrade to OWS Iridium sparkplugs.. The guy didn't have stock, so he told he would source it for me tomorrow. He quoted 675/plug. Is it ok? I remember the model he showed (only one sparkplug he had) was some ZX-3L something. Can i go ahead? Later I'll change the sparkplug cables.

-Absar
Old 21st March 2007, 19:17   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Absar View Post

-Absar
I have no experience with OWS only with NGK iridium.

You have to make sure the plug is of the correct plug reach, thread size and heat range. If not you may damage your piston if the reach is too long or not get the spark close to the air fuel mix for proper combustion. For eg my plug is a NGK BPR7HIX where B=thread size of 14 mm, P=Projected tip plug, R=resistor type, 7=heat range number, H=thread reach 12.07 mm, IX=high performance iridium

So be sure before you put down money on the iridium plugs. I suggest you look at the OEM plug, decipher the numbers and apply them to the OWS plug chart. The spare part guy just wants to make a sale, so buyer beware.

About Rs 700 seems to be the price range for iridium plugs

Dimali
Old 21st March 2007, 22:44   #36
BHPian

Hello Dimali. I was completely unaware of this info. Thank you very much for pointing this out. I assumed that all iridium plugs were universal, only setting they needed was plug gap or something.

Then, would a user who has changed his plugs in his 1.6 ikon tell me any hint, as in specific OWS iridium plug model..?

-Absar
Old 21st March 2007, 23:03   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Absar View Post
Hello Dimali. I was completely unaware of this info. Thank you very much for pointing this out. I assumed that all iridium plugs were universal, only setting they needed was plug gap or something.

Then, would a user who has changed his plugs in his 1.6 ikon tell me any hint, as in specific OWS iridium plug model..?

-Absar
The iridium plugs come correctly pre-gapped...
Old 22nd March 2007, 23:02   #38
BHPian

May I recommend something. I use Platinum Plugs, because don't foul up as fast as Irridium Plugs. High Horsepower cars need to dump considerable amounts of fuel to build power and to keep combustion chamber at normal temps. You know that there are aftermarket ignition systems to increase the Voltage of your spark via Amplifier. MSD makes quite a bit of these products. IMO Plugs alone won't help you need an amplifier to make some sort of difference. Amplifiers are also known to wear out and they will tend to misfire from time to time, however most high HP cars use these type of systems, to combust excess fuel in the chamber. Also Gapping the plug accurately makes a difference as well. Force Induced cars running high boost or cars with High Compression motors tend to go with a smaller gapped plug to avoid misfires and detonation.

DO NOT BUY DENSO, as the ceramic ceramic around the electrode breaks. I've had experience with the damn electrode coming out of the ceramic when I pulled the spark plug wire.
Old 28th March 2007, 18:46   #39

I am planning to buy NGK iridium plugs for my santro erlx. I found somehting on ebay for a $7 a piece. The part number is 5464. It wil be of great help if someone could tell me if this is the correct model of plug for santro.

Prem
Old 28th March 2007, 21:31   #40
BHPian

try reading your car's manual, you will find the corresponding ngk and champion part nos., then go to ngk's site or google for equivalent ngk iridium IX part nos.
I think it is bkr9e11 or 9e5 ,I'm not sure though, so its better you check it out
Old 29th March 2007, 08:14   #41

Thanx Harsh! I shall check the manual and see.
Old 31st March 2007, 20:26   #42
BHPian

hi guys
i am planning to put spark plugs for my palio 1.2,and as one of my friend is coming back from ksa so i asked him to bring me one.
i want to get hks iridium plugs but i have no idea about which model should i go for.
can you guys tell me what is the size of palio 1.2 plugs.
thanks
Old 2nd April 2007, 12:36   #43

Hi Guys,

Can I use these NGK iridium plugs in my diesel Verna. Will there be any advantage by doing so.
Old 9th April 2007, 00:19   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveenk25 View Post
Hi Guys,

Can I use these NGK iridium plugs in my diesel Verna. Will there be any advantage by doing so.

Heyy!!

Unfortunately u can not use any sort of spark plugs in diesel engines, coz in there fuel is burned with the help of built pressure not a spark!!
Old 11th April 2007, 13:20   #45
BHPian

Hey! Is the Iridium plugs for the Ford Ikon 1.6 not available anymore? Mahavir Automobiles said that they dont get stock for this model anymore, be it NGK or OWS. But he did say if I'd get the part number for it, he might be able to source it? Is this info correct that its not available anymore for Ikon 1.6?

-Absar

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks