Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th December 2008, 15:08   #1
Ice
BHPian

ECU Tuning - Palio MJD

Hey guys,

I'm stuck! I want to buy a bolt-on ECU for my new Palio MJD. I've spoken with Karthik (racedynamics.in) and Pete's. Pete's box is more expensive but also more commonly used, with more reviews, etc. So....basically going mad trying to choose between the two

Does this gathering of great minds have a suggestion for me?

Also, my car's got around 3K kms on the clock - ok to go ahead with a bolt-on ECU?
Old 16th December 2008, 15:40   #2
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

Would anyday prefer a piggyback where you can control all the parameters individually based on the engine tune and keep changing them accordingly than just have a box with a fixed map. But thats just my opinion.

Also, with a piggyback, the advantage is it can be used on any diesel car, unlike Pete's which is car specific.
Old 16th December 2008, 15:47   #3
BHPian

Same case for a DDIS?

@ice,what estimate has RD given to you?
Old 16th December 2008, 15:48   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice View Post
Also, my car's got around 3K kms on the clock - ok to go ahead with a bolt-on ECU?
I would recommend that wait at till your car has completed 5k kms before investing in performance products. By then the true performance of your car will be known and also the difference in performance by these products will be more apparent.

You can go in for either. Both are extremely capable products.

But since you are in Bangalore I would recommend the RD piggyback as you can get it tuned at RD itself. Also as Rahul has mentioned you can get customized to your driving style. Plus it will work with almost all vehicles.
Old 16th December 2008, 16:00   #5
Ice
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by noidaboy View Post
Same case for a DDIS?

@ice,what estimate has RD given to you?

18k for the basic 1-setting box, and 21k for the 3-setting example
Old 16th December 2008, 16:03   #6
Ice
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikram_d View Post
I would recommend that wait at till your car has completed 5k kms before investing in performance products. By then the true performance of your car will be known and also the difference in performance by these products will be more apparent.

You can go in for either. Both are extremely capable products.

But since you are in Bangalore I would recommend the RD piggyback as you can get it tuned at RD itself. Also as Rahul has mentioned you can get customized to your driving style. Plus it will work with almost all vehicles.
Thanks, Vikram. I was more concerned about any potential damage to the new (and possibly un-set) engine . However, I am tending towards RD because he's right here.
Old 16th December 2008, 16:43   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks, Vikram. I was more concerned about any potential damage to the new (and possibly un-set) engine . However, I am tending towards RD because he's right here.
That is why I still recommend wait till minimum 5k kms. And owning an RD product myself I can say that are excellent products.
Old 16th December 2008, 16:46   #8
BHPian

Quote:
18k for the basic 1-setting box, and 21k for the 3-setting example
Well priced,Did you get the chance to test drive a car running on this?
Old 16th December 2008, 17:28   #9
BHPian

What parameters can one modify with RD's piggyback for diesels, only injection timing or other parameters like boost as well.
Old 16th December 2008, 17:48   #10
Ice
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by noidaboy View Post
Well priced,Did you get the chance to test drive a car running on this?
Not yet...going to visit his shop later next week. Will keep this thread updated.
Old 16th December 2008, 17:49   #11
Ice
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikram_d View Post
That is why I still recommend wait till minimum 5k kms. And owning an RD product myself I can say that are excellent products.
Will do, Vikram. Thanks for the advice. With the running I have in mind, I'll probably notch up 5K by Republic Day!

You mentioned that you have an RD product...which one do you have? And for how many years have you had it.
Old 16th December 2008, 17:51   #12
Ice
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harsh87 View Post
What parameters can one modify with RD's piggyback for diesels, only injection timing or other parameters like boost as well.
Harsh...

I've not seen the boxes first hand. Will let you know the level of mods the 3 stage box allows..this should probably be end of next week.
Old 16th December 2008, 18:36   #13
BHPian

try tunit boxes Tunit Performance - diesel performance tuning with over 2000 applications, people have used this extensively in europe for MJD FIAT engines & it is great product , costs around 30K.. there is a dealer in bombay who imports these boxes..
Old 16th December 2008, 18:56   #14
Senior - BHPian

I'd suggest irrespective of where you are based get some user reviews first.Any car which has been running safely with either of the 2 ECU's would be good enough.

Talk to busa here on teambhp.i faintly remember he said that the Pete's ECU has 3 settings according to the level of modifications done to the car.

Also give a thought to the warrenty.I hope both are user removable when you give the car for servicing so that you don't have warranty problems.
Old 16th December 2008, 20:16   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navpreet318 View Post
I'd suggest irrespective of where you are based get some user reviews first.Any car which has been running safely with either of the 2 ECU's would be good enough.

Talk to busa here on teambhp.i faintly remember he said that the Pete's ECU has 3 settings according to the level of modifications done to the car.

Also give a thought to the warrenty.I hope both are user removable when you give the car for servicing so that you don't have warranty problems.
I think those have to manually switched on.you need have airfilter,exhust etc to switch on the settings.

Where as what i have heard about RD's box is that you can shift different settings on the fly.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks