Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th December 2008, 19:01   #1
BHPian

Looking for a Good Upholstery/Seat Cover shop in Bangalore

Hi,
I have a 5 year old Opel Astra whose seats over time have lost its shine/glory. Moreover it looks a tad old and dirty as well (since they came with Grey seat covers then). There is also some damage in one of the corners of the driver seat and some foam has come out. I am looking to revamp the entire upholsetry and preferably even the door trims. I am not very enthusiastic about Art leather because of its known drawbacks and not willing to spend for real leather as well. I have seen that barring some very entry level cars most other cars from 4 Lac range onwards come with very nice and rich fabric upholstery (factory fitted). In fact cars like NHC, SX4, Verna and Fiesta have some real good upholstery....I am planning to go for something like that but dont know where in Bangalore can I get someone who have such large variety of options and can do a good job overall. Most average car seat walas recommend to go for Art leather stuff or have some standard Fabric Seat covers which are pretty average stuff.

If you guys have any idea of where we can get a good range of fabric upolstery in Bangalore, please suggest.
Old 24th December 2008, 19:30   #2
BHPian

Contact Blue raven, he has a good collection of leather. He is a dist for Ovion leather which can be a good option.

Or you have Stanley.
Old 24th December 2008, 20:04   #3
BHPian

I am avoiding Leather/Art Leather, Looking for high quality Fabric based upholstery.
Old 24th December 2008, 20:09   #4
Team-BHP Support

Contact hemant from G-sport. He will be able to help you out. Just search the forum for G-sport or Hemant and you will get his contact number.
Old 12th January 2009, 18:28   #5
BHPian

Finally its done:

Hi All,
My car interior is done!!!!

While I had started as a hardcore fabric enthusiast, I ended up doing leather.
Well, the inspiration towards leather came from two different directions:

1. Unavailability of top quality factory finish fabric stuff
2. Some exotic quality of leather available at Karlsson Bangalore.

I always knew leather is expensive so I had limited my budget to 10-15k so that I dont enter the leather territory and I always hated Art Leather (to me its too much of an wannabe...but thats just me).

Mr.Sajith of Karlsson got in touch with me after reading my requirements here on the forum. We met up to discuss what can be done within my budget. He has a design studio in Indiranagar. I visited his studio and there were some finished demo seats. The first thing I loved about them is their fit and finish. It was top notch and absolute factory grade. I instantly knew that this place can be my destination if rest of the things go well. My requirements were very similar, in the sense that I did not want any clip on covers on my seat and wanted to see some professional grade restoration job being done on my interiors.

As I progressed with the discussions I could see some highly passionate group of people working as a team at Karlssons. These guys believe in giving some exclusively customized stuff with top quality materials and finish. Since I had visited there for a fabric job, they actually gave me a list of options with fabric. They also gave me options for fabric + leather combo. They also had some art leather which they use in combination with leather and fabric to keep costs down if the customer so demands.
I could see some amazing leather works there but my budget wasnt ready for their exotic natural grain ELMO leather seats. So they then gave me a demo of fabric seat so that I can compare the look and feel of fabric vs Leather seat.

The leather that they showcased was just so exclusive and premium that I finally gave up to my temptation and went for it. After all its a leather shop giving some absolute high quality solutions, I allowed them to do what they do best. Then came the intresting part as to the real design. I was really happy to see these guys spending hours with customers to come to a final design. We were literally brainstorming with catalogues and our own creativity. My car has a grey interior which rules out any beige, cream, white and colours like that. But then I didnt want grey as its really a boring color. I wanted something sporty and energetic inside but not outrightly sporty because Astra inherently doesnt look sporty.
Finally we came up with a design which had most areas in black with some saffron touch and red stitches all around. To me it was an experiment. I could have always left it as an all black setup but then I wanted to take some advantage of the highly skilled labours these guys have and in the process also liven up the interior a bit than a plain black stuff.

The work started, these guys took 3 full days to complete the car. They did everything from the seats, door panels, steering, gear knob, gear boot and hand brakes.
When I looked at my car after the restoration (I call it restoration because that is how is the magnitude of the change) I felt like a king (seriously, that is how rich the car looks from inside now compared to how it was). It took my car to a different level (so as my pocket). But now I really feel I am driving a premium car. I have not seen such quality job in a long time.

I would post some pictures soon. But I am sure pictures wont do justice to the entire work they have done. Its something to see and feel as well. I would be happy to show my car to anyone who wish to on the forum.

Last edited by Pani : 12th January 2009 at 18:35. Reason: addtion
Old 12th January 2009, 18:54   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

@Pani, along with the pics, you missed the cost part also. Would love to see the outcome of this.
Old 12th January 2009, 20:50   #7
Senior - BHPian

Looks like you had an exciting time!
Do post pics and the costs!
Old 12th January 2009, 21:25   #8
Senior - BHPian

Congrats!!

Do post the pictures and the cost involved.
Old 13th January 2009, 12:20   #9
BHPian

Thanks guys.
I am sad at photography and so was my camera, doesnt even capture the colors properly, but whatever was possible I have uploaded some pictures here:
Store & Upload Unlimited Photos, Photo Sharing, Upload your Picture for Free at ibibo Photos : Slide Show
Old 13th January 2009, 12:51   #10
Senior - BHPian

WOW!!

I love it. What was the cost involved?
Old 13th January 2009, 13:31   #11
BHPian

Thanks Patiencewins, I paid some 33k + taxes for the job. I could have well done it under 20k (still involving real leather) but I decided to take the plunge and get whatever best I can.
Old 13th January 2009, 14:24   #12
BHPian

pani-thats really good work done by karlsson,congrats.good u went for real leather other than art leather or fabric.
Old 13th January 2009, 16:14   #13
BHPian

Man..absolutely fantastic!
where is this workshop located by the way?

Regards,
Old 13th January 2009, 16:26   #14
BHPian

Hi Amohit,
Its located in Indiranagar. A lane parallel to 100ft road. You can get in touch with them at 9845024245 (Mr.Sajith).
Old 13th July 2009, 23:11   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pani View Post
Hi Amohit,
Its located in Indiranagar. A lane parallel to 100ft road. You can get in touch with them at 9845024245 (Mr.Sajith).
I visited this place on Saturday. I am planning to get my brand new Altis done there (I hate to tear off fabric seats from the brand new car but the leather @ Karlsson was appealing enough

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks