Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th July 2009, 16:48   #166
BHPian

@ innerkarma. beautiful, makes me want to drive down to Sikkim in my unmodified Bolero and take tips from you on all mods possible. Getting to see Sikkim with a local, will be an added bonus!
Old 29th July 2009, 17:52   #167
BHPian

@innerkarma: Absolutely love the custom bull bar, hummer style above windshield lights, assorted stickers and overall presence of your Bolero! Fantastic looking monster you have there. Are your FE woes because of the bigger rubber or have you changed any other parameters.

Cheers,
Old 29th July 2009, 21:07   #168
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BolBolero View Post
@ innerkarma. beautiful, makes me want to drive down to Sikkim in my unmodified Bolero and take tips from you on all mods possible. Getting to see Sikkim with a local, will be an added bonus!
BRILLIANT IDEA!!--i'll hitch a ride on your way there
-nick dev,pune mh.
Old 29th July 2009, 23:30   #169
BHPian

hey thanks guys. and yeah other mods.. well nothing but a cold air intake. What is "FE woes?"
Old 30th July 2009, 01:26   #170
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by innerkarma View Post
hey thanks guys. and yeah other mods.. well nothing but a cold air intake. What is "FE woes?"
hi karma,i racked my brains,strained my eyes,went through all the posts
on this thread & finally figured it out,.....

"FE"= Fuel Effieciency !!!!!
Old 30th July 2009, 07:14   #171
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

funny i never had this problem with my old bolero. But the handbrake cable needs to be adjusted carefully. With constant usage though, the Bolero handbrake lever, which is quite long - rather like an old Amby handbrake lever, tends to bend a bit - it either bends towards the driver seat or passenger seat depending on the way one tugs at it while putting the handbrake on - we tend to get used to our other vehicles handbrake levers, which are quite short, in comparison and therefore tend to tug on the lever. this sometimes causes the bolero lever to get slightly bent. The cable is also much less tough as compared to the Scorpio but can definitely be adjusted properly and made effective by a proper Mahindra service centre.
however, one cannot park on an incline and expect only the handbrake to hold the weight of the bolero. therefore on inclines always park it and leave it first gear PLUS handbrake.
One suggestion - see if the Mahindra chaps can retro fit the Scorpio's handbrake assembly onto the Bolero - the Scorpio handbrake is far better and perfectly safe even when parking on inclines.
Still, on very steep inclines especially in the hills, I habitually leave the vehicle (even my Scorpio) in gear with the handbrake on, just to avoid any potential chaos.

Quote:
Originally Posted by darxide View Post
as i said earlier this is my third bolero. sadly the handbrake in any one of these cars have never worked. please tell how do i get this handbrake working?
my mechanic inspite of all his experience with mahindra cars simply says that bolero's handbrakes never ever work!!

Last edited by shankar.balan : 30th July 2009 at 07:17.
Old 30th July 2009, 11:38   #172
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
funny i never had this problem with my old bolero. But the handbrake cable needs to be adjusted carefully. With constant usage though, the Bolero handbrake lever, which is quite long - rather like an old Amby handbrake lever, tends to bend a bit - it either bends towards the driver seat or passenger seat depending on the way one tugs at it while putting the handbrake on - we tend to get used to our other vehicles handbrake levers, which are quite short, in comparison and therefore tend to tug on the lever. this sometimes causes the bolero lever to get slightly bent. The cable is also much less tough as compared to the Scorpio but can definitely be adjusted properly and made effective by a proper Mahindra service centre.
however, one cannot park on an incline and expect only the handbrake to hold the weight of the bolero. therefore on inclines always park it and leave it first gear PLUS handbrake.
One suggestion - see if the Mahindra chaps can retro fit the Scorpio's handbrake assembly onto the Bolero - the Scorpio handbrake is far better and perfectly safe even when parking on inclines.
Still, on very steep inclines especially in the hills, I habitually leave the vehicle (even my Scorpio) in gear with the handbrake on, just to avoid any potential chaos.
thanks shankar,that hanbrake has really had me in real scary situations. just the other day i needed to step out & leave the car running in neutral for a moment. i didnt realise that i was parked on a very slight incline and the car slowly started rolling backwards. i was left with no choice but to open the door and "jump" back in...while doing this i almost lost balance and fell/got run over by own car(sounds like "CHRISTINE"!!)
the guys at mahindra seem uninterested with this issue and finally asked me use more cro magnon method...........
Attached Thumbnails
Yet another modded Bolero!-mahindras-new-parking-brake-txt.jpg  

Old 30th July 2009, 14:08   #173
BHPian

Quote:
BRILLIANT IDEA!!--i'll hitch a ride on your way there
-nick dev,pune mh.
Hi Nick,
I am seriously planning to journey to all the distant parts of India. Was planning to drive down to Ladakh this year, but could not make it due to some unforseen circumstances and lack of company (As in friends who are also good drivers). Planning for next year in June though. Let me know if you are interested. A trip to Sikkim will be next on the agenda.
@ Innerkarma, get ready to show us around!

Yes and the hand brakes suck! So your cro magnon method is the best method on inclines!
Gautam.
Old 30th July 2009, 15:07   #174
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BolBolero View Post
Hi Nick,
I am seriously planning to journey to all the distant parts of India. Was planning to drive down to Ladakh this year, but could not make it due to some unforseen circumstances and lack of company (As in friends who are also good drivers). Planning for next year in June though. Let me know if you are interested. A trip to Sikkim will be next on the agenda.
@ Innerkarma, get ready to show us around!

Yes and the hand brakes suck! So your cro magnon method is the best method on inclines!
Gautam.
hi gautam,sure im definitely on for a trip like this. we can split the kharcha and im sure we'll have the road trip of a lifetime.drop me a line if you ever come down to pune in the near future.
Old 31st July 2009, 09:36   #175
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

ha! funny - this happened to me also on account of pure negligence and absent mindedness. had gone somewhere and parked. on getting out I had forgotten completely that the handbrake wasnt on and the scorp started moving backwards suddenly. Even I had to leap in and yank the hand brake to arrest the jeep and then re-park the vehicle. its crazy but sometimes absent mindedness can cause serious trouble.

Quote:
thanks shankar,that hanbrake has really had me in real scary situations. just the other day i needed to step out & leave the car running in neutral for a moment. i didnt realise that i was parked on a very slight incline and the car slowly started rolling backwards. i was left with no choice but to open the door and "jump" back in...while doing this i almost lost balance and fell/got run over by own car(sounds like "CHRISTINE"!!)
the guys at mahindra seem uninterested with this issue and finally asked me use more cro magnon method...........
Old 31st July 2009, 12:28   #176
BHPian

My bolero is barely 5K kms old, and I extensively use the handbrake as I live halfway up a hill. I haven't yet had any issues with the HB, but as i usually park with the HB and reverse gear engaged (and locked), I guess its doubly protected. I'll make a note to check the hand brake cable at every checkup. Thanks for bringing this to my notice guys. Learning new things every day here.

Cheers,
Old 31st July 2009, 13:08   #177
BHPian

hi sriku, this is my 3rd bolero -2 glxs XD3P (2001 & 03) and 1 sports XD3P (2005). the handbrakes have never ever worked on any of these cars.
this is really inconvenient and dangerous especially while stuck in traffic on slopes.
i'm pretty used to dealing with this by now but for a driver who is not used to this, its a disaster waiting to happen.
what year model is you car? maybe mahindra has improved on this in the newer cars.
also .. is the steering wheel in your car offset to left by apprx. 2 inches?
i can see from your profile that you are in thane? im in pune and bol bolero is in mumbai. the bolero owners in blr and cochin etc. meet regularly and even have their own bolero club!!-(check in orkut) what are your thoughts on this? i think we should make a list of all bolero owners and fans in our region and maybe even meet up sometime

Last edited by darxide : 31st July 2009 at 13:22. Reason: improve post & add few more sentences
Old 31st July 2009, 14:03   #178
BHPian

Quote:
hi sriku, this is my 3rd bolero -2 glxs XD3P (2001 & 03) and 1 sports XD3P (2005). the handbrakes have never ever worked on any of these cars.
this is really inconvenient and dangerous especially while stuck in traffic on slopes.
i'm pretty used to dealing with this by now but for a driver who is not used to this, its a disaster waiting to happen.
what year model is you car? maybe mahindra has improved on this in the newer cars.
also .. is the steering wheel in your car offset to left by apprx. 2 inches?
i can see from your profile that you are in thane? im in pune and bol bolero is in mumbai. the bolero owners in blr and cochin etc. meet regularly and even have their own bolero club!!-(check in orkut) what are your thoughts on this? i think we should make a list of all bolero owners and fans in our region and maybe even meet up sometime
Surprised at the never ever worked statement Sir. My Bolero is the SLX DI 2009 Bolero, the hand brake works satisfactorily at inclines when I have to engage it in stop and go traffic, never had a problem yet. Yes the steering is offset a little. Earlier it was offset to the right, I got it corrected at my first service last weekend, and now its a half-inch to the left! Fantastic stuff with the bolero club, am totally thrilled about any bolero boys meet That'll give me an excuse to drive out of mumbai and hang out with other bolero's. I'm pretty interested in seeing what alloys/mods/convenience DIY's other bolero owners have done. Plagiarism....scratch that, imitation is after all the best form of flattery! Off to Orkut to check out the bolero group!

Cheers,
Old 31st July 2009, 14:11   #179
BHPian

@innerkarma - where you got the cold intake system fitted, has the performance increased... how much does it cost and is it worth the effort.
Old 31st July 2009, 14:47   #180
BHPian

Quote:
hi karma,i racked my brains,strained my eyes,went through all the posts
on this thread & finally figured it out,.....

"FE"= Fuel Effieciency !!!!!
Sorry to leave an unexplained abbreviation guys. My bad.
@innerkarma: I was curious why you mentioned your bolero is a fuel guzzler, I have spoken with many bolero guys, they are reporting fuel economy of at least 14 kmpl in the city with A/C, and upto 18 kmpl on long highway runs. I myself got approximately 15 to 17 kmpl with A/C, so was wondering whether you have made any mods to the engine (apart from the air intake) that is affecting the fuel economy. Any custom filter, engine mods for performance could have affected the mileage. Your bigger wheels could also be a factor, what do you say?

Cheers,

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks