Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th August 2011, 12:00   #1546
Senior - BHPian

Re: Front sunfilm that can reduce high beam light

I would recommend sticking to 3M for the front windshield .We tried Garware on my parents car and the difference was zilch. My Scorp' has 3M and it did help a bit , the glare has reduced to an extent. Once again don't expect a massive difference in the glare during night drives when compared without front windshield film.
Old 26th August 2011, 18:55   #1547
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorhead5 View Post
I have serious issues driving in the night in City because of high beam lights from opp direction. Which front sun film do you suggest that can reduce the high beam light intensity?

The only criteria is that it should not be too dark / reduce my visibility from inside, esp in the night.
If your windshield is free of scratches, a 70% transparent sunfilm does reduce the glare a bit. Basically, it cuts off 30% of the light brightness. Both light transmission and heat transmission are two different things as you know.
I've put Infra-kool (through Nandi Toyota), it works great for heat rejection. Yes, definitely seems to help to reduce the intensity of the bright headlights targetting you.

But, beware of scratches that can come on the film. DO NOT even touch it. Wipe it with extra soft tissues only! I guess there are scratch resistant films (3M should have it, even the famous v-kool), but even if you put that you wouldnt want to risk a scratch by testing it, right?
Old 26th August 2011, 19:32   #1548
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCORPION View Post
I would personally leave the front windshield untouched, except for a strip on the upper part.
And a strip on lower part..

@ OP, if you really need it, get it from 3m/V kool. I had it on my car, when I replaced my windshield, I didn't get another one. It hampers visibility, wouldn't recommend it.
Old 26th August 2011, 20:15   #1549
BHPian

Re: Front windscreen sunfilm?

Quote:
Originally Posted by vina View Post
3M is imported, so it will have duties and other costs. Also it is a "better brand" compared to Garware.

Don't know about Vkool.
I distinctly remember hearing from an automobile aficionado that Garware Polyester is one of the few companies manufacturing sunfilm and 3M rebrands it.

This was confirmed by a Garware distributor as well and has been discussed on TBhp somewhere.
Old 27th August 2011, 00:50   #1550
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCORPION View Post
I would personally leave the front windshield untouched, except for a strip on the upper part. IMHO the sun films will not offer any help in night driving. The 3M and Garware films that you are talking about, are they specifically made for this purpose, for the front windshield?
Yes, these are specifically for front windshield.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankjha1806 View Post
Few other things that you could check before getting towards film are.

Check how old is the glass and does it have small scratches on it, if yes then you could have a different solution. On my Baleno in the older glass which was 5 years old had small scratches and the light would disperse when falls on the windshield giving me a glare. When the glass cracked due to highway stone hitting it i got it replaced and now the headlamps of oncoming traffic look like small dots (Rather then light dithering)

The second (Cheaper solution) someone in the family found out is use anti glare glasses (Actually he wears glasses hence getting glass changed of glasses to anti glare helped a lot). So if you were glasses this could be a possible solution.

Another alternative is to use anti glare clear glasses while driving at night.

Finally if none of these suit you you could always get a film put on.
Car is relatively new - 5 months and there are no scratches on it yet. and I do now wear glasses..
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
None whatsoever. film is soft and is bound to pick up micro-scratches, which will make the glare even worse.
Quote:
Originally Posted by samm View Post
If your windshield is free of scratches, a 70% transparent sunfilm does reduce the glare a bit. Basically, it cuts off 30% of the light brightness. Both light transmission and heat transmission are two different things as you know.
I've put Infra-kool (through Nandi Toyota), it works great for heat rejection. Yes, definitely seems to help to reduce the intensity of the bright headlights targetting you.

But, beware of scratches that can come on the film. DO NOT even touch it. Wipe it with extra soft tissues only! I guess there are scratch resistant films (3M should have it, even the famous v-kool), but even if you put that you wouldnt want to risk a scratch by testing it, right?
Need to be careful!!
Old 28th August 2011, 01:03   #1551
Distinguished - BHPian

My suggestion would be to use night vision spectacles to reduce glare ; film with VLT 70% would do little good in my opinion.
Old 28th August 2011, 20:42   #1552
Senior - BHPian

If we guys are referring to spectacle glass by 'antiglare clear glasses' on this topic, then I have something to add. I have been wearing spectacles for years, and recently got Crizal anti-glare lenses. I don't see any difference when it comes to oncoming high-beams.
Old 28th August 2011, 20:44   #1553
Distinguished - BHPian

There is already a thread on this topic where the discussions could be continued.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifi...n-sunfilm.html
Old 28th August 2011, 21:19   #1554
BHPian

Having used Front windscreen films in my 800 & Figo, i felt that the purpose of it is only to reduce cabin temparature (which it does commendably)

When the accessory guy tells it will reduce the oncoming high-beam it is just BS.

Wipe the windscreen only with wet chamois leather or the films will micro-scratch as sir mentioned & make night driving difficult (as in my 800 when local car wash guy rubbed the film with some rough dry cloth).

Someone told me that polarised light tint sunglass can help in coping with oncoming high-beam, never tried it though.
Old 28th August 2011, 21:55   #1555
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by revintup View Post
.My solution-Got 130/100 bulbs + relay.drive with lo beam and whenever an idiot comes with hi beam ,i put on my hi beam and instantly i get a lo beam from the oncoming car.I know i sound arrogant but it works 90% of the time.
This is what i resort to, and like you said it works almost all the time. Only exceptions where it doesn't necessarily work is with Indica/Sumo/Tavera cabs..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyline GT-R View Post
Someone told me that polarised light tint sunglass can help in coping with oncoming high-beam, never tried it though.
Polarized sunglasses are usually dark. It would not be advisable to drive at night with dark glasses, no matter how well lit the road is.
Old 28th August 2011, 22:36   #1556
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohanjf View Post
If we guys are referring to spectacle glass by 'antiglare clear glasses' on this topic, then I have something to add. I have been wearing spectacles for years, and recently got Crizal anti-glare lenses. I don't see any difference when it comes to oncoming high-beams.
Ya, that's kinda true, it doesn't help much, but yes with these anti glare lenses
the lights doesnt scatter much and it helps.

I have 2 glasses, i can easily feel the deference when i swap the same while driving .

Cheers.
Old 29th August 2011, 10:32   #1557
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schoudhury View Post
Ya, that's kinda true, it doesn't help much, but yes with these anti glare lenses
the lights doesnt scatter much and it helps.

I have 2 glasses, i can easily feel the deference when i swap the same while driving .

Cheers.
Ok now this has me totally confused,so should i go for an anti glare glasses and will it help in night driving?my eye sight is normal ,problem is oncoming hi beams.
Old 29th August 2011, 10:47   #1558
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Ok now this has me totally confused,so should i go for an anti glare glasses and will it help in night driving?my eye sight is normal ,problem is oncoming hi beams.
Yes, you can try that, if you go to any decent optician store and ask for glasses which you will help in night driving they should be able to provide the same to you.

You can also check out polarized glasses.

Cheers
Old 29th August 2011, 19:50   #1559
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MA5K View Post
This is what i resort to, and like you said it works almost all the time. Only exceptions where it doesn't necessarily work is with Indica/Sumo/Tavera cabs..
If we all put high power bulbs, then it will multiply the issue that we are talking about. Are we not hurting ourselves.?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schoudhury View Post
Yes, you can try that, if you go to any decent optician store and ask for glasses which you will help in night driving they should be able to provide the same to you.

You can also check out polarized glasses.

Cheers
I really dont want to wear specs for this!!
Old 29th August 2011, 20:33   #1560
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Trust me, High beams are not a problem. Only when high beams scatter light and spread all over then it creates slightly blinding and hence driving trouble. Try putting on an zero power anti glare glasses and i am sure it will help. It has helped me and many others in the family who wear power glasses.

Once you wear anti-glare glasses the high beam from on coming traffic don't scatter and they seem like two bright dots (Without the scatter).
mayankjha1806 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks