Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd April 2012, 18:58   #1771
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kartikk
I dont know how many of you noticed this but after installing the CR70 on the front windshield, at night it isnt all that clear, I mean its a little, for the lack of a better word, dull.
Hi Karthik, its on my city from past 1 year and I never faced any issues and nor heard from any.

My car is driven by my friends occasionally (they don't have film on their windshields) in couple of occasions I had to tell them it's tinted. It's almost transparent.

Please get it checked from the dealer you got it fixed,
Old 3rd April 2012, 23:18   #1772
BHPian

Re: Front windscreen sunfilm?

Quote:
Originally Posted by deechan View Post
Am confused whether to get a “anti glare film” installed on the front wind shield of my Swift or not install anything. Purpose of installing is mainly to minimize the glare out of high beams during night. I can live with the heat during the day
If your concern is only avoiding glare I would also recommend you to go for a good polarized goggles from one of the known brands. You must be able to find one for 5K around. These are specially designed for cutting off radiations from certain angles and will protect your eyes to a great extent. I do not think any sunfilms currently available in the market would do this purpose.

I too have the following questions asked by deechan.
Here are my concerns:

Quote:
c).I read somewhere that some films are “RTO” approved. What % of transparency is recommended especially during night time drive.
I would like to know the RTO recommended values for front and side glasses. Also, what are the preferred values considering the fact that we all drive cars in the night as well.

Quote:
e).If they do serve the purpose, which brand (out of 3M,Garware,& V-Cool) is recommended? My budget is 5-6k.
I have heard that V-cool is a bit expensive compared to 3M. I am doing this research to find the best bet for my Rapid which is in transit from the Factory atm. Can someone suggest a good brand that falls into 5-6K range including front, rear and side windshields. Thank you!
rajni is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th April 2012, 00:23   #1773
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deechan View Post
Am confused whether to get a “anti glare film” installed on the front wind shield of my Swift or not install anything. Purpose of installing is mainly to minimize the glare out of high beams during night. I can live with the heat during the day

Here are my concerns:
a). If the film is installed, will it truly help/serve the purpose? In other words, are they really useful?
b).Am scared of scratches on the wind shield.
c).I read somewhere that some films are “RTO” approved. What % of transparency is recommended especially during night time drive.
d). Is the film installed on the inner or outer layer of windshield?
e).If they do serve the purpose, which brand (out of 3M,Garware,& V-Cool) is recommended? My budget is 5-6k.

Please help guys.
a) They are more useful in heat rejection than glare reduction. For glare reduction, I would recommend specialized spectacles instead.
b) Installing the sun films won't create any scratches on wind shield.
c) 70% VLT for Windshield
d) Inner
e) VKool is the best, but is costly and affects GPS signals as well. 3m is a close 2nd and has an added advantage that it doesn't interfere with GPS signals.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjumrani View Post
FYI,
Current Price for 3M CR70 in Delhi (for a civic) is 9000 and V-Cool 70 is 12000.
At this price, which is the better buy?
The 3m pricing seems to be expensive. I got a quote of Rs. 5,000 for CR 70 and 11,500 for V-Kool 70 on my Etios Windshield.
On my sides and rear, I have V-Kool 70 which provides excellent performance. On the wind shield, I opted for 3m CR 70, since it doesn't interfere with GPS signals.
Performance is a close 2nd to V-Kool 70 ( As per the specs, CR70's Heat rejection ( TSER = 50% ) is 10% lesser than V-Kool 70 ( TSER = 55% ) )

PS: On my old Esteem's front windshield, I used V-Kool 70. It was excellent but created issues with GPS signals. I had to take the GPS device outside for initial connection very frequently. Once the initial connection is made, it works fine after that though. The signal strength showed a remarkable reduction when placed under V-Kool 70

Last edited by amalji : 4th April 2012 at 00:30.
amalji is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th April 2012, 00:48   #1774
BHPian

Hi
CR 70 is pretty good . As to price MSM Chennai got it for 4k. This was around 2010 Aug . No idea on current price . Heat rejection is more critical than glare since a Rayban aviator (my fav) does the job pretty decently.
Cheers
Prasad
Old 4th April 2012, 02:14   #1775
BHPian

My santro cools very well during evenings and non-sunlight times, but I can feel the AC continuously run during afternoons, and frankly speaking I've never seen it shutting the compressor, However I can very easily notice the compressor Auto on/off during late evenings or nights.

A.C. is not having any issues as per the service guy I visit, he's suggested me to get a sunfilm for front Windshield.

upon hunting, I can hardly find 3M from reliable source in my Town, someone also says all 3M available or made available here are manufactured in china and lacks the quality which it used to give earlier, Don't want to mess into this info about which I have no knowledge

Someone suggested me Garware Icecool shield grey which has
45% heat rejection and has 80% visibility, does anyone has price quote for this one, Attached image and the one I mentioned is on right.
Front windscreen sunfilm?-mmanp.jpg
Old 4th April 2012, 05:55   #1776
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghpk View Post
Garware Icecool shield grey .. does anyone has price quote for this one, Attached image and the one I mentioned is on right.
MRP is approx 3.3k. This is the one a few of us here have got.
condor is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 4th April 2012, 08:12   #1777
BHPian

Folks, just came into my mind one problem that I had noticed with the windshield film on my cousin's Figo. I think it was a V-kool but not very sure. He bought the car in last December and during my last visit to hometown it was me who drove the most of the first 3K kilometers. During this long "TD" I noticed that many times when the light falls from certain angle the windshield became more opaque than it should be. It was mostly observed in the late afternoon or early evening. It would appear as if you have got fog on some area of the glass and will be all good the moment you go out of that light beam. Although it is not a show stopper I wasn't happy with this strange effect. May be it has something to do with the thickness of the film as part of the light would be likely getting scattered at the intersection of the glass and film. Has anyone else noticed this effect?
Old 4th April 2012, 11:33   #1778
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kartikk View Post
A good pair of polarized glass in front of your eyes would do the job.
My 2˘ get pair of Serengetis form your local store.
Polarized glasses at night seems like a bad idea. Wouldn't everything get way too dark?

Quote:
Originally Posted by amalji View Post
The 3m pricing seems to be expensive. I got a quote of Rs. 5,000 for CR 70 and 11,500 for V-Kool 70 on my Etios Windshield.
On my sides and rear, I have V-Kool 70 which provides excellent performance. On the wind shield, I opted for 3m CR 70, since it doesn't interfere with GPS signals.
Performance is a close 2nd to V-Kool 70 ( As per the specs, CR70's Heat rejection ( TSER = 50% ) is 10% lesser than V-Kool 70 ( TSER = 55% ) )

PS: On my old Esteem's front windshield, I used V-Kool 70. It was excellent but created issues with GPS signals. I had to take the GPS device outside for initial connection very frequently. Once the initial connection is made, it works fine after that though. The signal strength showed a remarkable reduction when placed under V-Kool 70
Civic's windshield is huge, maybe that makes a difference. The 9k quote I got is cheaper than anywhere else I called.

I use the GPS a lot and I have 3M CR50(could be 40 too, can't remember) on the sides and back. If I added Vcool 70 at the front would it still interfere with GPS?
Old 4th April 2012, 11:50   #1779
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjumrani View Post
Polarized glasses at night seems like a bad idea. Wouldn't everything get way too dark?

Civic's windshield is huge, maybe that makes a difference. The 9k quote I got is cheaper than anywhere else I called.

I use the GPS a lot and I have 3M CR50(could be 40 too, can't remember) on the sides and back. If I added Vcool 70 at the front would it still interfere with GPS?
There are good night antiglare driving glasses too which are very effective in cutting glare, I have one which I use while bicycling at night, but on the topic of sunfilm, CR70 as quoted by the 3M employee is Rs 7750 irrespective of the type of car and this rate is same in Bombay, Bangalore and Chennai, I know since relatives in these places and have bought them.

I'm using Garmin there is no interference problems in the GPS or even the Cell phone reception, this is pure myth about reception problems its perfect. Give a shout to Sidhu (9740520357) he is on this forum and may help you in getting the details of 3M in Delhi
Old 4th April 2012, 15:01   #1780
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjumrani

1. Polarized glasses at night us not a good idea.

2. I just called automate and asked for a quote on cr 70 for honda civic. The cost is just Rs. 5,000/-

3. Yesterday, before doing cr70 for my etios, I had called the 3m dealer in thammanam. He had quoted Rs. 6,000/-. But, since automate was cheaper by 1000, I went ahead with automate

4. It depends on where your gps antenna is placed. If it is placed below windshield, it will be affected by v-kool.
Old 4th April 2012, 15:40   #1781
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amalji View Post
1. Polarized glasses at night us not a good idea.

2. I just called automate and asked for a quote on cr 70 for honda civic. The cost is just Rs. 5,000/-

3. Yesterday, before doing cr70 for my etios, I had called the 3m dealer in thammanam. He had quoted Rs. 6,000/-. But, since automate was cheaper by 1000, I went ahead with automate

4. It depends on where your gps antenna is placed. If it is placed below windshield, it will be affected by v-kool.
(Kochi 5K! here in Bangalore it 7750/-) looks like I should have driven to Kochi for a holiday and back along with the CR70 fitting on the front as a bonus. Thats too hugh a difference for 3M pricing would have used the 2750/- for one way trip atleast
Old 4th April 2012, 15:41   #1782
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghpk View Post
My santro cools very well during evenings and non-sunlight times, but I can feel the AC continuously run during afternoons, and frankly speaking I've never seen it shutting the compressor, However I can very easily notice the compressor Auto on/off during late evenings or nights.

A.C. is not having any issues as per the service guy I visit, he's suggested me to get a sunfilm for front Windshield.

upon hunting, I can hardly find 3M from reliable source in my Town, someone also says all 3M available or made available here are manufactured in china and lacks the quality which it used to give earlier, Don't want to mess into this info about which I have no knowledge

Someone suggested me Garware Icecool shield grey which has
45% heat rejection and has 80% visibility, does anyone has price quote for this one, Attached image and the one I mentioned is on right.
Attachment 911448

I have posted details with picture for Garware Icecool in post no #1687 in this thread, the price which i have mentioned is for one on left of the picture you have attached. I can assure having black santro, the one i got fixed is really good.

The one you mentioned on right side, i was quoted Rs 1500/- with installation charges.

Last edited by driving_smartly : 4th April 2012 at 15:50.
driving_smartly is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th April 2012, 19:30   #1783
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kartikk

I'm using Garmin there is no interference problems in the GPS or even the Cell phone reception, this is pure myth about reception problems its perfect.
It's not a myth with metallic sun films. And hence, with v-kool, gps reception quality is greatly impacted.

With 3m, there's no interference because they use ceramic films ( non metallic )
Old 4th April 2012, 19:52   #1784
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
It's not a myth with metallic sun films.
I seem to remember it being acknowledged on manufacturers' websites.
Old 4th April 2012, 19:54   #1785
BHPian

CR70 in fact, is not just one film, but a sandwich of 200 thin sheets, which is why its as good or better than metallic film in heat rejection. You can confirm with any 3M dealer.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks