Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th April 2012, 20:08   #1786
Senior - BHPian

Posts merged. Please use "edit post" for any additions/changes within 30 minutes

Quote:
Originally Posted by autocrat
CR70 in fact, is not just one film, but a sandwich of 200 thin sheets, which is why its as good or better than metallic film in heat rejection. You can confirm with any 3M dealer.
With regards to heat rejection, v-kool 70 is better than 3m's CR70

TSER of cr70 = 50%
TSER of v-kool 70 = 55%

Both films offer a VLT of 70%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom

I seem to remember it being acknowledged on manufacturers' websites.
3m does say on their website that since they use non metallic films, their interference with gps is minimal.

And I've personal experience with gps reception affected after using v-kool 70 on my old esteem's windshield.

Last edited by noopster : 5th April 2012 at 10:47.
Old 4th April 2012, 23:45   #1787
BHPian

Re: Front windscreen sunfilm?

i got cr70 an re50 done on my swift yesterday. drove today with GPS on my phone and did not find any interference. The signal was strong and clear, the GPS could maps the car accurately.
Old 5th April 2012, 05:18   #1788
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkyp
i got cr70 an re50 done on my swift yesterday. drove today with GPS on my phone and did not find any interference. The signal was strong and clear, the GPS could maps the car accurately.
Cr70 will not cause any interference with gps because they are non metallic films. This is one of the main features advertised by 3m.
Old 6th April 2012, 07:49   #1789
BHPian

Hello All,

I got my front windscreen sun film yesterday. Went in for 3M CR70.

Initially, was thinking only for garware i was quoted Rs 3500. Just called sachin's autoshop in Koramangala, only to check the price of garware, but was surprised to know that he was offering 3M CR70, with installation for Rs 5800. (read else where on forum that the price is no less than 6700)

This is with the bill and 5 year warranty. The film has 3M logo on it embedded on it..at several places. Installation was spot on. NO bubbles anywhere.

I could instantly observe the effect of sunfilm..it is really awesome for hot weather conditions.

Also checked 3M in HSR layout, they quoted Rs 7700 for the same CR 70. Still trying to figure out why is so much difference in price..?

heading off for a long weekend trip, will update you with performance of the product after coming back.

Drive safe..!
Old 6th April 2012, 22:06   #1790
Team-BHP Support

Finally got the Garware Icecool shield fitted on the Figo as well as a friend's Etios front windshield.

By the time installation was complete it was evening so couldn't test the heat rejection. My biggest worry of driving at night and visibility at night with the front tints have been laid to rest. Drove back home at night and did not face any issues at all. It was crystal clear with no drop in visibility whatsoever. The best part was oncoming headlight glare has reduced quite a bit. The film has a greenish tinge to it which looks very cool from outside. You notice the slight greenish tinge from inside only when you are in the basement and you see that all tube lights are greenish.

However I must say the installation on the Figo was not easy. The Etios took all of 25 minutes from opening the roll to applying film on the car and parking the car back. Compared to that the Figo took all of 1.5hours. The guy who came to fit the film was an expert and was very good at fitting it as I saw on the Etios. He had mentioned that Figo is not as easy as Etios.

The problem with the Figo surprisingly is that the front glass is massive!! It came as quite a shock to me, when I saw the left over pieces of film; it was very less in the Figo compared to the leftovers from the Etios. Later I went and measured both windshields and found that the Etios glass area from top to bottom is 74cms whereas the Figos is a whopping 88cms. 14cms is like close to 6inches longer glass! The film roll from Garware is only 91cms from top to bottom and 154cms in width. The larger size made it a pain to put it on. On top of that the Figo windshield has those small dots around the entire border. That allows air gaps easier and it's a pain to use the squeegee and remove them especially at the bottom as the glass is deep inside the dash meaning not easily reachable.

For the Figo the IRVM does not have to be removed as it is part of the dotty shaded area on top. Incase of Etios IRVM needed to be removed and the installer told us that once you remove the IRVM in Etios it fits back losely and may in some cases vibrate when driving. If that happens you need to use some mild glue.

After this I now understand why some BHPians were saying that front sunfilm is not possible on the Civic. It's because the film is not long enough.

Will update on daytime heat rejection as well as some pics post installation.

Last edited by Vid6639 : 6th April 2012 at 22:14.
Vid6639 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th April 2012, 22:18   #1791
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vidyasagar View Post
The film has 3M logo on it embedded on it..at several places.
It wipes off.

I made a fool of myself kicking up a fuss about this <Blush>. They wiped it off in a few minutes. I don't know if it just takes water: if it takes anything more, then best ask the fitters, as the last thing we want to be doing with our expensive films is experimenting with solvents on them
Thad E Ginathom is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 7th April 2012, 06:30   #1792
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
It wipes off.

I made a fool of myself kicking up a fuss about this <Blush>. They wiped it off in a few minutes. I don't know if it just takes water: if it takes anything more, then best ask the fitters, as the last thing we want to be doing with our expensive films is experimenting with solvents on them
Thanks for this info. I was also irritated with the 3m logo all over the place in the front windshield. I'll check it out with my fitter.
Old 7th April 2012, 06:52   #1793
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
However I must say the installation on the Figo was not easy.

The problem with the Figo surprisingly is that the front glass is massive!!

...some BHPians were saying that front sunfilm is not possible on the Civic. It's because the film is not long enough
I got a chance last night to see a Civic and a Figo parked next to each other - the Civic has a really huge windshield. The Figo - deceptive. One doesn't realise how much till some has highlighted it.

Quote:
The guy who came to fit the film was an expert and was very good at fitting it as I saw on the Etios. He had mentioned that Figo is not as easy as Etios.
Yes. Same guy who did it for my Ikon. Will definitely ask for him when the Sumo comes up for this soon.
Old 7th April 2012, 08:12   #1794
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
I got a chance last night to see a Civic and a Figo parked next to each other - the Civic has a really huge windshield. The Figo - deceptive. One doesn't realise how much till some has highlighted it.
Do also check the front windshield of the Jazz, its Humongous!! The 3m guys charge almost 9.5k for the CR70 on the Jazz. The reason for this being that they have to use the film length wise and not breadth wise.

The costs are calculated based on a fixed area that they normally use and the front windscreen of the Jazz exceeds that.

Another large glass is the Brio's rear but thats .
Old 7th April 2012, 08:24   #1795
Distinguished - BHPian

But Kevin, 3M quotes fixed rates for all vehicles. Looks like there is a dual structure that they dont show unless they need to take advantage of it.
Old 7th April 2012, 09:23   #1796
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor
But Kevin, 3M quotes fixed rates for all vehicles. Looks like there is a dual structure that they dont show unless they need to take advantage of it.
3m has a fixed rate, but the exception are jazz and aria. It was clearly mentioned that the price for front films for these cars will be 9.5k
Old 7th April 2012, 09:23   #1797
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinephraim View Post
Do also check the front windshield of the Jazz, its Humongous!! The 3m guys charge almost 9.5k for the CR70 on the Jazz. The reason for this being that they have to use the film length wise and not breadth wise.

The costs are calculated based on a fixed area that they normally use and the front windscreen of the Jazz exceeds that.

Another large glass is the Brio's rear but thats .
I believe thats not true as I personally oversaw the 3M guys also using the film lengthwise. They stretched out the film from the roll(quite a lot of length) and laid it out from right to left.
Its impossible to use breadthwise as it will not cover the windshield of even the nano unless you are fixing it in pieces. And the pricing now has been fixed irrespective of the car. this is what was told to me last week when I had been for the CR70 fitment.
Old 7th April 2012, 12:02   #1798
BHPian

I have V-Kool J60 on the front windscreen of my Honda City (And V-Kool K37 on the sides and rear). Back after a recent road-trip, I can safely vouch for the following:

1) It makes a lot of sense to spend some more money and get a good sunfilm installed on the windscreen. My previous car didn't have it and now I know what I was missing.

2) Absolutely no interference with GPS performance. Mapmyindia was switched on through-out and it never missed a beat.

Thrilled with V-Kool's performance. Worth the extra money.

I have V-Kool J60 sunfilm on my front windscreen and I can assure you that the impact of glares from on-coming vehicles on high beam have reduced a lot. Earlier my eyes would flinch but now I can just carry on. It really helps. Visible light transmission is 64%, I am absolutely at ease driving it at night.

Last edited by Technocrat : 23rd April 2012 at 22:08. Reason: Back to back posts, please use Edit option if posting within 30 minutes of first post, thanks
Old 7th April 2012, 13:44   #1799
BHPian

Guys I wonder considering the price in Delhi for 3M CR70 (9000/-) and in Bangalore/Kochi (~5700/-) would it not be better I have a word with one of the shops and get a roll couriered to Delhi?
Old 7th April 2012, 16:35   #1800
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjumrani View Post
Guys I wonder considering the price in Delhi for 3M CR70 (9000/-) and in Bangalore/Kochi (~5700/-) would it not be better I have a word with one of the shops and get a roll couriered to Delhi?
i wouldnt go with that. finding a good fitter willing to put the screen will be quiet a task.

Also, the 5700 odd price is that of the grey market and unless you know the shop well, chances of getting a spurious film is high.

i suggest you write to 3m and ask them where can you get their product in delhi. Since the cr70 is 7750 at 3m care outlet in all cities, it cant be more expensive than that in delhi.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks