Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th April 2012, 08:07   #1816
Distinguished - BHPian

GPS and Garware IceCool Shield on front windshield

Map My India GPS owner's manual says:

Quote:
If the car's windshield is tinted with a reflective coating, an external antenna
(Optional) may be needed to route the antenna

The usage of sun film also degrades GPS signal.
But, I did a quick check of the GPS reception inside the Ikon. The Ikon has regular film on the sides & rear, and Garware IceCool Shield on the front.

1. Powered on the unit, and placed it in the middle of the cabin, on the floor. The unit locked on to 2 satellites. Navigation was not possible because it needed signals from 4 satellites.

2. Moved the unit to near the dash (in front of the HU). It immediately locked to 2 more satellites, and with signal strength rated as "good".
Old 9th April 2012, 10:01   #1817
BHPian

Re: Front windscreen sunfilm?

Hello All,

I am back from my long trip (600 KM for a weekend is not long at all by our forum's standards). The trip involved travelling towards east in the morining and towards west in the evening.

The effect of having sunfilm is unbelievable. No more sun burns on the forearms, also kept the AC at the lowest level all the time, cooling was very effective.

I did not observe much reduction in glare from oncoming vehicles, but no much deterioration in the visibility at night.

I would surely recommend 3M CR70 to all..worth every penny.

Drive safe.
Old 9th April 2012, 10:09   #1818
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amalji View Post
The only reason why I didn't mention Lumar models is because I do not have prior experience with it.
Well, I have used Llumar for more than 5 years. I haven't noticed any issues with it & quite satisfied with it.
Recently, for a friend's 3 year old car, we preferred Llumar AIR 80 over 3M CR70 as it offered 78% VLT compared to 70% offered by CR70. And, cost of Llumar film was same as 3M CR70. Let's see how it fairs this summer.
Old 9th April 2012, 10:17   #1819
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sukiwa

Well, I have used Llumar for more than 5 years. I haven't noticed any issues with it & quite satisfied with it.
Recently, for a friend's 3 year old car, we preferred Llumar AIR 80 over 3M CR70 as it offered 78% VLT compared to 70% offered by CR70. And, cost of Llumar film was same as 3M CR70. Let's see how it fairs this summer.
Heat rejection of llumar is inferior to that of 3m and v-kool's premium models. V-kool and garware seems to have better vlt ( > 70% ) models with more heat rejection than llumar. In short, for a given vlt, the competition offers better heat rejection than Llumar.
Old 9th April 2012, 11:05   #1820
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
VLT i.e. visible light transmission determines the darkness. .
Quote:

1) VLT determines the darkness
This is true only within particular brand! Not necessary across the brand. For e.g. Vkool 70 & 3M CR 70 may not match in Shade. One must also take a note that darkness of shades not necessary increases with VLT in similar range as in other brands. For e.g. Shade difference between 3m CR-70 & 3m CR-50 to that of simmilar range in VKool and others brands vary.

Added to Amalji's list of brand, If one wants better sun film but lesser cost than VKool, look for brand called HuperOptik. Costwise its little expensive than 3M CR series. HuperOptik Klar series comes with 10 year warranty! You can hardly see any shades in this film (May be if one wants to have privacy this might not be your film). They work wonderful in summer.
RaguHolla is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th April 2012, 11:17   #1821
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaguHolla View Post
This is true only within particular brand! Not necessary across the brand. For e.g. Vkool 70 & 3M CR 70 may not match in Shade. One must also take a note that darkness of shades not necessary increases with VLT in similar range as in other brands. For e.g. Shade difference between 3m CR-70 & 3m CR-50 to that of simmilar range in VKool and others brands vary.

Added to Amalji's list of brand, If one wants better sun film but lesser cost than VKool, look for brand called HuperOptik. Costwise its little expensive than 3M CR series. HuperOptik Klar series comes with 10 year warranty! You can hardly see any shades in this film (May be if one wants to have privacy this might not be your film). They work wonderful in summer.
less darkness = better visible light transmission.

The shade can be anything and that is not important. For example RE series are colourless but the light transmission is based on it's reflective properties rather than it's "darkness". RE50 vs CS50 for example. You will feel that RE is light but CS is dark but both have same visibility. Only difference is VLT of RE series is based on reflective property whereas for CS series it's based on dyed colour.

Vkool70 3M CR70 maybe different shade but both have same visibility and hence they are equally dark although the shade is different.

Another example, Garware has grey, blue and green shades with same VLT.
Vid6639 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th April 2012, 19:38   #1822
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkyp View Post
i wouldnt go with that. finding a good fitter willing to put the screen will be quiet a task.

Also, the 5700 odd price is that of the grey market and unless you know the shop well, chances of getting a spurious film is high.

i suggest you write to 3m and ask them where can you get their product in delhi. Since the cr70 is 7750 at 3m care outlet in all cities, it cant be more expensive than that in delhi.
I called 3M too. The price I'm getting is 9K.
That is why I am wondering what to do. The jump from 5700 to 9K is big enough.
Old 9th April 2012, 19:41   #1823
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
l
Vkool70 3M CR70 maybe different shade but both have same visibility and hence they are equally dark although the shade is different.
Sorry if I missed it but, isn't the Garware Ice cool shield a metallic type as opposed to the creamic type like the CR70.

Does it have similar numbers for VLT, IRR etc ?? Is there an updated comparison chart somewhere?
Old 9th April 2012, 19:54   #1824
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjumrani View Post
I called 3M too. The price I'm getting is 9K.
That is why I am wondering what to do. The jump from 5700 to 9K is big enough.
can you highlight this to 3m? if they have standard pricing across all other cities, delhi shouldnt be different.

is the car in question a jazz or aria? those are quoted at 9k
Old 9th April 2012, 20:04   #1825
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post
Sorry if I missed it but, isn't the Garware Ice cool shield a metallic type as opposed to the creamic type like the CR70.

Does it have similar numbers for VLT, IRR etc ?? Is there an updated comparison chart somewhere?
The Garware is not metallic at all. There's no reflection at all and it's died green.

VLT for both Icecool shield and 3M CR70 is 70%. TSER i.e. total solar energy rejected is 40% for Icecool shield and 50% for CR70. That's the biggest difference.
Vid6639 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th April 2012, 20:21   #1826
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639

The Garware is not metallic at all. There's no reflection at all and it's died green.

VLT for both Icecool shield and 3M CR70 is 70%. TSER i.e. total solar energy rejected is 40% for Icecool shield and 50% for CR70. That's the biggest difference.
@vid - where did you get that TSER value for Ice cool shield? I've been searching for it everywhere and I only get HR ( heat rejection ) and garware claim that to be 50% . But since it's a non standardized measure, I do not want to trust them on that.

Ps: I'm planning to get garware ice cool shield for my mother's liva because no car accessory shop in trivandrum or even the 3m dealer in trivandrum doesn't have stock for any cr series film. They only have CS series which has pathetic tser of just 24% !
Old 9th April 2012, 20:29   #1827
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
@vid - where did you get that TSER value for Ice cool shield? I've been searching for it everywhere and I only get HR ( heat rejection ) and garware claim that to be 50% . But since it's a non standardized measure, I do not want to trust them on that.

Ps: I'm planning to get garware ice cool shield for my mother's liva because no car accessory shop in trivandrum or even the 3m dealer in trivandrum doesn't have stock for any cr series film. They only have CS series which has pathetic tser of just 24% !
Garware website mentioned the TSER.

http://www.garwaresuncontrol.com/pro...-cool%2070.pdf

Also 3M has 2 TSER numbers one for direct 90degrees and other on angle of 60 degrees. The on angle is 59% vs 50% for direct. The difference being that on angle rejection will be better due to refraction as well as reflection.

Last edited by Vid6639 : 9th April 2012 at 20:32.
Old 9th April 2012, 20:44   #1828
BHPian

Quote:
Did you visit Car Shoppe near Ulloor? IIRC, they had it in stock when I was there a few months back. Btw,would you please share the details of the 3M dealer in Trivandrum?
Old 9th April 2012, 21:23   #1829
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I have not been able to check 3M CR70 in action to compare it with my IceCool Shield. IMO the 10% difference TSER is getting a little hyped in the discussions we are having.

At the end of the day, at about 60% of the cost of Llumar, and even less when compared to 3M, I get a good front windshield sun film which does it's job. Eye strain is much less when driving in the afternoons, cabin/car feels much cooler, I dont feel the sun-burn on my fingers (with hands on steering wheel), and cannot complain about night driving - I dont feel visibility is a problem at night. On coming high-beams are not so trouble-some now.

So when IceCool shield does it's job nearly as good as the next two brands, but at much better price, why should I complain ?
Old 9th April 2012, 21:32   #1830
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkyp View Post
can you highlight this to 3m? if they have standard pricing across all other cities, delhi shouldnt be different.

is the car in question a jazz or aria? those are quoted at 9k
The car in question is a Civic.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks