Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th April 2012, 14:28   #1846
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Front windscreen sunfilm?

Anuj, thanks for that - letting me see your Safari, and the contact details. It was only after checking out your Safari (before your trip) that I went ahead with the installation .. and no regrets. Till then, I was thinking of Llumar or 3M. We are seeing the benefits - even without going on such long trips

Getting it on my Sumo also next week.
condor is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 11th April 2012, 15:30   #1847
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anujmishra View Post
I can say that my investment on fixing Ice Cool Shield paid off and recovered completely. Never had to raise AC fan beyond 2...

I am not going into debate that if had fixed XX brand film effects would have been more, but price point of view, Garware is VFM and it works.
I fully agree with the above statement .

I have Garware Ice cool on windshield of my Scorpio since 14 months . I have been day travelling in peak summers in tempretures varying between 35-45 degress C and i too never had to raise AC beyond 2.. its 100% VFM.

Another added advantage is, on account of this film, I never had any visibility issues during night drives .

Thank you Garware !

cheers
NH

Last edited by Vid6639 : 11th April 2012 at 15:38. Reason: Typos was going to fix the quote tags but you got there first :-)
Night_Hawk is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th April 2012, 15:35   #1848
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Night_Hawk View Post
I fully agree with the above statement .

I have been day travelling in peak summers in tempreture varying between 35-45 degress C and i too never had to raise AC beyond 2.. its 10% VFM.
I guess you meant 100% VFM.. Glad the film is effective. I am seriously considering it when I get my new car.
Old 12th April 2012, 13:25   #1849
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amalji View Post
4) In Kerala, Garware Ice cool costs Rs. 3,500/- whereas 3m costs just Rs. 5,000/- So, even from the VFM perspective, 3m is not too expensive inspite of being a better brand and offering better specs.
If you *get* CR70 at 5k, then it may be worth the money considering that 3M is much better than Garware in a few aspects. However the issue is the cost for CR70 is around ~ of Rs 6500 in 99% of authorized 3M dealers in most states (based on posts from this forum) which makes icecool shield VFM.

The aspects that I see where 3M scores are

1) The film removal in case one has to remove it for replacement etc : Install of ICECool shield on my Manza was incorrect which they replaced it for free. The process of removing the original one was painful and I infer that it is much easier with 3M.

2) Higher TSER

3) Brand name: Which may be a bit overrated.

Performance wise, I feel is ICECOOL shield is almost on par with CR70 having used it on my Manza and comparing with 3M CR70 on my friends Linea.
Old 12th April 2012, 21:10   #1850
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjumrani View Post
The car in question is a Civic.
I had the CR70 fixed on the front windscreen of my Civic on Saturday, April 7th. I was charged Rs. 7750. I do not think there should be any difference in the prices in Delhi.

Last edited by swarooppatil : 12th April 2012 at 21:11.
Old 12th April 2012, 22:22   #1851
Senior - BHPian

Re: Front sunfilm that can reduce high beam light

I have been using anti-glare glasses with power for long. I do not see much of a difference with the normal glasses. Recently, I'm not able to drive at constant speed due to blinding hi-beams from on-coming traffic. I have to reduce my speed a bit and the slightest slowing down will evoke honking from behind. I also get a terrific headache recently driving at night. I doubt if I need to check my power sooner. Last time and before when I checked my sight, it was remaining moreover constant.

More than that, I attribute poor street lighting as the main culprit as I am not able to drive at speed when I don't see the road properly. Another option is to put brighter lights in my car, which I do not blindly agree to. Maybe, I have to give it another thought. Going by this thread, guess the experts are against film on the front windshield. I too tend to agree because I have noticed on more than on occasion that the vision is not perfect through films, even in day light. It tends to be a bit wavery. Maybe they block some light in the night, I am not sure how effective they are.
Old 13th April 2012, 12:40   #1852
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoXLGrandDi View Post
how to verify whether the anti-glare coating is genuine or not since most of the opticians take you for a ride very easily?
Unless you have any acquaintances in the industry, the best thing to do is approach reputed opticians (Turakhia in Chennai etc.), not sure if Titan does the anti-glare coating.
Old 13th April 2012, 12:52   #1853
BHPian

I will say it helps from hi beam to some extent but it gets worse if you got any scratches on the film or even small dust particles. Minute you open the window and dust stick to film you are into bigger trouble. Yes if you always drive with closed window and take extra care of film this will do some help to your eyes.
Old 13th April 2012, 15:47   #1854
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aditya@pune View Post
I will say it helps from hi beam to some extent but it gets worse if you got any scratches on the film or even small dust particles. Minute you open the window and dust stick to film you are into bigger trouble. Yes if you always drive with closed window and take extra care of film this will do some help to your eyes.
Most reputed brand say their sun films are scratch resistant, don't you think this would minimize the chances of getting the scratches.

There are 1000 of users here for front sunfilm and I've not noticed anybody yelling for scratches on them.

can some expert who has been using them for a few years now correct me if I am wrong.
Old 13th April 2012, 15:56   #1855
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghpk View Post
Most reputed brand say their sun films are scratch resistant, don't you think this would minimize the chances of getting the scratches.

There are 1000 of users here for front sunfilm and I've not noticed anybody yelling for scratches on them.

can some expert who has been using them for a few years now correct me if I am wrong.
This is my personal experience. I am using it since last one year. Installed CR 70 by 3M . if you see post 7 in this topic, he is also suggesting the same. You can take precautions but micro scratches are bound to happen.
Old 13th April 2012, 17:39   #1856
Senior - BHPian

The best solution is better headlights, yellow tinted specs and contact lenses. Plain specs don't work. I have Hoya - same as Crizal. But just as bad while driving at night.
Old 13th April 2012, 18:28   #1857
BHPian

I am sure all of you know about these glasses. These were taught to us in school in the 8th standard I think. For glare the only scientific method is to use these particular glasses which are not tinted for night driving. Nothing can stop glare like these glasses can. Let me jog your memory especially those who have done AISSCE or CBSE curriculum for their education. Dust your old physics text books and have a look and if you have a sibling or child in the 10th he can explain it to you better.

Polarized Sunglasses: How They Reduce Glare

As far as sun film goes all films scratch easily when compared to glass; thankfully the film is put from the inside and they stay clean for longer and hence scratches from grim filled cloth is reduced. Use an ultra clean soft wet cloth to clean the film as even the slightest lint will scratch it what ever the manufacturers might claim.

After using sun films in 4 of my cars I would suggest you not use it for the front windscreen if you are driving straight into the light like head lights at night and into the sun early into the morning and late in the evening. Glare is intense even if there are minimal number of scratches.

Last edited by drpullockaran : 13th April 2012 at 18:32.
drpullockaran is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th April 2012, 21:21   #1858
Distinguished - BHPian

Somewhere I have, or had, a pair of photomicrograph polarising sunglasses that start at clear. Only ever saw such a thing once, though I suppose it could be ordered, especially if it was a prescription glass.

I'm not sure how scientific this is, but I think that glare is reflected light. Light from oncoming headlights is not reflected, it is full-in-your-face direct. Nothing can stop the effect of that, although tinted screen and/or glasses will reduce the amount of light, but they will also reduce the amount of general vision. I was taught never to wear sunglasses when driving in the dark.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st April 2012, 00:32   #1859
Senior - BHPian

@drpullockaran: Your post got me interested. I never knew that there are clear polarized glasses (which can prevent glare from oncoming lights).
I use tinted polarized sunglasses and they do their job for day journeys.
Your last statement was confusing.
>> I would suggest you not use it for the front windscreen if you are driving straight into the light like head lights at night

What does that mean? You don't recommend using sunfilm on the front windshield if we are doing night driving?
Old 21st April 2012, 02:00   #1860
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swarooppatil View Post
I had the CR70 fixed on the front windscreen of my Civic on Saturday, April 7th. I was charged Rs. 7750. I do not think there should be any difference in the prices in Delhi.
Same rate in Pune. Had it affixed first week of April!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks