Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th July 2012, 00:33   #1876
Senior - BHPian

Re: Front windscreen sunfilm?

Quote:
Originally Posted by drrajanvr View Post
Hello, I had installed a 3M CR 70 on my Skoda Laura front windscreen 2 years ago. Paid Rs:7750 , still the same cost. Just a little doubt. Recently when I was travelling from Bangalore to Trichy, somewhere just after Dharmapuri, a lorry that was parked on the left, with out any indication just took it out on the main track. I braked hard. My 3 year daughter was standing on the front seat, she hit the windscreen with her chin, and the windscreen cracked. God luck, nothing happen to my child. Question is? Is the windshield so week, or is it that it cracked because of the sun film. Will post a pic now. Got it replaced under insurance though, total bill was around Rs: 17208, insurance paid, Rs: 14885, had to pay the rest and also pay another Rs:7750 for the sun film.
I don't see any logical reason why the windshield would crack because of the sun film. It could have cracked only because of the angle and speed of impact. I've seen a windshield of a mini lorry crack, when the driver braked hard ( at a speed of about 20 kmph ) and the passenger banged his head on to the windshield.
Old 19th July 2012, 10:00   #1877
BHPian

Quote:
...I braked hard. My 3 year daughter was standing on the front seat, she hit the windscreen with her chin, and the windscreen cracked. God luck, nothing happen to my child. Question is? Is the windshield so week, or is it that it cracked because of the sun film. Will post a pic now. .
Windshields are made to break more easily when the impact is from the inside. This is a safety measure so that the occupants can easily exit the car in case of a mishap. Presence of the sunfilm has nothing to do with it.

And it was reaaly irresponsible of you letting a 3yr old stand on the front seat, while on a highway.

Last edited by JustCause : 19th July 2012 at 10:01.
JustCause is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th July 2012, 10:15   #1878
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustCause

Windshields are made to break more easily when the impact is from the inside. This is a safety measure so that the occupants can easily exit the car in case of a mishap. Presence of the sunfilm has nothing to do with it.

And it was reaaly irresponsible of you letting a 3yr old stand on the front seat, while on a highway.
Totally agree that I was irresponsible, but at times we give in to the cry and hue of children, even though we don't want to, I was in such a timeframe

Ok...so the shield cracks easily from an impact done from inside, probably that would be the reason. Thank you, will never keep my kid on the front seat, till she can be fastened with the seatbelt..

Last edited by manson : 19th July 2012 at 21:01. Reason: Kindly use Edit button to merge posts whilst posting within twenty minutes from the first post.
Old 19th July 2012, 10:44   #1879
BHPian

Quote:
God luck, nothing happen to my child. Question is? Is the windshield so week, or is it that it cracked because of the sun film. Will post a pic now. Got it replaced under insurance though, total bill was around Rs: 17208, insurance paid, Rs: 14885, had to pay the rest and also pay another Rs:7750 for the sun film.
Let that be a stern warning to you and everyone else to never let a child be in the front seat and that too standing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustCause View Post

Its simple physics as well. The curved surface makes the windshield easy to break from the inside, however this very curve gives it additional strength to withstand impact from the outside as well.
As a reference consider the design of the old stone arch bridges.
racer_m is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 19th July 2012, 12:27   #1880
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Ok...so the shield cracks easily from an impact done from inside, probably that would be the reason. Thank you, will never keep my kid on the front seat, till she can be fastened with the seatbelt..
Back seat is pretty much as dangerous. Gives a child time to accelerate more before hitting that windscreen. Or killing the person in the seat in front of them.

All persons, of all ages and all sizes, should wear appropriate seat belts (with appropriate seats for the small people) at all times.

On-topic: People are still buying sunfilm?
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th July 2012, 12:34   #1881
Senior - BHPian

And child sitting in lap of adult in front seat is worst of all. And we are debating sun film when actually the law (and hopefully its implementation) should provide for mandatory child seats to be used.

Last edited by sandeep108 : 19th July 2012 at 12:35.
sandeep108 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th July 2012, 15:48   #1882
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeep108 View Post
And child sitting in lap of adult in front seat is worst of all. And we are debating sun film when actually the law (and hopefully its implementation) should provide for mandatory child seats to be used.
We'll its difficult to implement in Indian conditions as we behave mostly irrationally. We believe child is most safe and happy in mommys hand. Mommy does not want to sit back because she thinks it demans daddy. I go through this every single day and its frustrating. I have stopped my car many times and turned back. Nothing works.
Old 19th July 2012, 16:43   #1883
Distinguished - BHPian

I'm sure you can find something. It was the "Julie knew her killer" UK road-safety film that made me always belt up in the back seat, and demand that my passengers do. It is very, very effective. Gruesomely effective. It's been posted on T-BHP several times, but Google will take you there.

The guys who made the Public Service Announcement films of those days knew how to make a complete horror film in just two minutes.

There's another one, a poster picture --- of mum and dad looking at a hole in the windscreen.

Shock tactics. Worked on me. This safety stuff didn't come to me as if by magic; we all have to learn.

Google up a film show for the family!

Last edited by Thad E Ginathom : 19th July 2012 at 16:45.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st July 2012, 13:07   #1884
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom
Back seat is pretty much as dangerous. Gives a child time to accelerate more before hitting that windscreen. Or killing the person in the seat in front of them.

All persons, of all ages and all sizes, should wear appropriate seat belts (with appropriate seats for the small people) at all times.

On-topic: People are still buying sunfilm?
Yes..people are buying sun film, the transparent sun film...from many companies, such as 3M CR 50
Old 26th August 2012, 13:17   #1885
Senior - BHPian

Guys, which is better? 3M or VKool. Both have their authorized dealers in Mumbai. I am planning for the sides and rear only, maybe 35 or 50% visibility.

P.S.: There is no ban in Mumbai!
Old 26th August 2012, 17:11   #1886
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post
Guys, which is better? 3M or VKool. Both have their authorized dealers in Mumbai. I am planning for the sides and rear only, maybe 35 or 50% visibility.

I am using 3M CR70 for the front windscreen and I am very happy with it. It costs around 5000/-.

VKool is more expensive than 3M but worth the money. VKool costs 12000/-
Old 26th August 2012, 18:01   #1887
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by scopriobharath View Post
I am using 3M CR70 for the front windscreen and I am very happy with it. It costs around 5000/-.

VKool is more expensive than 3M but worth the money. VKool costs 12000/-
I am planning for the sides and rear only, not for the front.

Also, I have heard that metalized films affect GPS reception, is it true?

Last edited by raj_5004 : 26th August 2012 at 18:18.
Old 26th August 2012, 21:15   #1888
BHPian

I have been having issues with 'marks' appearing on the windscreen during rains. its as if the glue between the windscreen and the sun film is turning opaque. dont quiet know how to describe the issue. It only appears when it rains, and doesnt clear even with a cloth (so its definitely not fogging/mist). The service advisor said its common to all diesel cars!! didnt quiet get the logic and dont think its true.

i have this feeling that its because of the sunfilms. i got 3m cr70 installed when i bought the car (5 months). Any advice?
Old 26th August 2012, 21:33   #1889
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post
Are you sure the SC order exempted Mumbai out of its purview? I even saw cops in Srinagar issuing Challans on Sunfilms.
Old 26th August 2012, 22:02   #1890
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourabhzen View Post
Are you sure the SC order exempted Mumbai out of its purview? I even saw cops in Srinagar issuing Challans on Sunfilms.
If you look at the larger picture sun control films are not 'banned' anywhere as they are selling openly everywhere. Anyone can get them installed at any part in India.

Only catch is that any Policeman can fine you or remove them whenever he wants as they are illegal and you can't do anything but watching it helplessly.

Hope I interpreted it right.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks