Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th March 2013, 04:27   #1921
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Sides very important - if the front film reduces harshness to eyes, the film on the sides really helps reduce the discomfort of the heat.

Why not use the same near invisible film on the sides too ?
I'm favouring fronts only because they are harder to detect (I think)
As far as sides are concerned, I might do it only if its a small expenditure.
I have no intention on throwing money down the drain like last time when I had the VCool 40 removed :(
Old 24th March 2013, 10:19   #1922
BHPian

Re: Front windscreen sunfilm?

Quote:
I have the film on all sides, and I will say that there is good heat rejection. Can actually feel that difference if I keep the side windows half-open.

Reg front film, it makes a lot of difference. There is heat reduction from front also, but the bigger benefit is - the reduction harshness of bright day-light in the direction of travel, esp in summer and is very noticeable.
In looking at the Garware product list, in the IceCool range, only the Elite model is listed as being compliant.

Quote:
Garware Suncontrol Icecool range is the top of the line product range which gives the maximum benefit once can expect from a solar control film. The warranty for the Icecool range is 5 years.

Icecool Grand: High end film with a heat rejection of 70%, the highest as compared to any solar film available.

Icecool Elite: A Central Motor Vehicle Rule 1989 compliant film which rejects 50% and has a VLT of 70%.

Icecool Shield: Superior film developed for the front windscreen that has a VLT of 70% and rejects heat upto 50%. Top of the line product from Garware Suncontrol.
From reading the CMVR, it appears that Shield for the front windscreen should be compliant too. but looks like Grand is not for any automotive glass. Will probably be too dark.

Am I splitting hairs? Can one escape the cops in Bangalore with Shield for the front and rear windscreens and Elite for the windows?

Thanks.
Old 24th March 2013, 18:31   #1923
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTeacher View Post

Am I splitting hairs? Can one escape the cops in Bangalore with Shield for the front and rear windscreens and Elite for the windows?

Thanks.
I have 3M CR70 (Crystalline Series) on all sides including the windshield. As my car cabin feels more full of light with beige interiors, you can't identify the film unless you really look through edges of window glass very particularly. Also a very minimum distance is maintained between film and end of the glass. I don't have any problems till now. The sun film costed me 23k.
Prabhu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th March 2013, 16:45   #1924
BHPian

Recently installed 3M CR70 for the front windshield in my i20. Costed Rs.7500.
This is very good in terms of reducing the heat which is often felt in the dashboard and also helps in reducing the glare during night drives.
Chris_Xtreme is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th March 2013, 17:55   #1925
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjumrani View Post
What would be my options for a near invisible film for the front windscreen?
And would it even be effective without the side films?
I have 3M CR 70 on my front windshield for the past 2 years now and am reasonably happy with it.

I was planning to install the same on the sides but my accessory store friend suggested otherwise since CR 70 is very expensive and installed 70% Garware tints on the sides. I have been safe across the country so far. Let us see.
n.devdath is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th March 2013, 05:57   #1926
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post
I have 3M CR 70 on my front windshield for the past 2 years now and am reasonably happy with it.

I was planning to install the same on the sides but my accessory store friend suggested otherwise since CR 70 is very expensive and installed 70% Garware tints on the sides. I have been safe across the country so far. Let us see.
I'll explore this option. Thanks for the info
Old 26th March 2013, 12:53   #1927
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
my accessory store friend suggested otherwise since CR 70 is very expensive and installed 70% Garware tints on the sides
As long as you don't loose it to a police inspection, it is a one-time fit, so may as well go for the best.

I put CR70 all round. I have lost the rear screen film, along with the screen itself, to a vandal who smashed the glass. I have not bothered to replace.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st March 2013, 00:46   #1928
BHPian

I went to 3M, Thane today and they have quoted around 7600/- for CR70 for my Duster (Front windscreen only). My dilemma is the same; whether to spend so much and risk being caught / film removed.
The guy at 3M actually assured me that he will refund me the full cost if cops catch me and remove the film (He was confident that they are not going to make out the difference).
Anyone else in Mumbai using the same and had any trouble?
Old 31st March 2013, 07:59   #1929
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by engrohit View Post
The guy at 3M actually assured me that he will refund me the full cost if cops catch me and remove the film (He was confident that they are not going to make out the difference).
Just marketing talk ? Will he give that in writing ?
Old 31st March 2013, 08:23   #1930
Senior - BHPian

Is there any, I repeat, any sunfilm at all that is legally allowed in our current situation?
Old 31st March 2013, 10:15   #1931
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IshaanIan View Post
Is there any, I repeat, any sunfilm at all that is legally allowed in our current situation?
No, there is none. But I've been using V-kool 70 with 70% transparency all around the sides and rear and 3m cr-70 on windscreen for 1.5 years. Never caught by police till now.

Once they asked me to slow down. When i slowed down they told me that they mistook that my car had sun films on it and asked me to leave. That is the closest call till now. :-P
Old 31st March 2013, 10:18   #1932
BHPian

Has anyone heard of the brand ''Opulent'' ?

Mahindra dealers in Chennai are using this brand for the past 3 months and they have stopped selling 3M and Garware films.

Any feedback on the Opulent films ?
Old 31st March 2013, 10:59   #1933
BHPian

Quote:
Just marketing talk ? Will he give that in writing ?
I don't think so. But he claims to have put this film on atleast 8 cars in last week or so, including the sales tax commissioner
Old 31st March 2013, 16:18   #1934
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnzjon View Post
Has anyone heard of the brand ''Opulent'' ?

Mahindra dealers in Chennai are using this brand for the past 3 months and they have stopped selling 3M and Garware films.

Any feedback on the Opulent films ?
Simple Answer: Stay Away and opt for other brands. Garware is better.
Old 31st March 2013, 16:39   #1935
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mithun View Post
Simple Answer: Stay Away and opt for other brands. Garware is better.
Hi Mithun, thanks.
Could you please elaborate the reason if you don't mind please.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks