Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories

Search this Thread
Old 19th July 2014, 19:16   #1996
BHPian

A little off topic- a friend of mine recently bought a honda brio and wants to install sunfilms on his car.
We went to two shops nearby (Xtreme & glix salt lake, kolkata). One offered sunfilms from a company called Johnson for about 2800 and another offered garware sunfilms for abiut the same price.
Now I have never heard of johnson before but the guy at xtreme claims it to be a much better brand than garware. The uv protection and heat protection stats were very similar on both products.
So which one should I go for guys?
Old 20th July 2014, 08:08   #1997
BHPian

Re: Front windscreen sunfilm?

Quote:
Originally Posted by scuderiamania View Post
A little off topic- a friend of mine recently bought a honda brio and wants to install sunfilms on his car.
We went to two shops nearby (Xtreme & glix salt lake, kolkata). One offered sunfilms from a company called Johnson for about 2800 and another offered
So which one should I go for guys?
I suggest you should not believe the retailer fully. Go to the website for both the companies, check the UV and IR Rejection %ages for the specific grades which has been quoted to you. The one with higher rejection %ages is better for your car.
Choose the better one. Also check on guarantee cards and which company gives a longer coverage.
Old 20th July 2014, 22:01   #1998
BHPian

I also have Garware films on the windshield and they are quite good. But I can't remember the price right now. Probably it is not so cheap. You can check it at 'Xlusive', Shantipally near Ruby more.
Old 4th August 2014, 00:21   #1999
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by scuderiamania View Post
Now I have never heard of johnson before but the guy at xtreme claims it to be a much better brand than garware.
While shopping accessories for my ecosport i took a quote from Glix (Alipore) and Xtreme (Gariahat). I found the famed Glix to be very overpriced. 80% of the accessories they showed me are already there on sites like aliexpress.com for 50% rate. Some accessory prices are much more than what ford dealers charge for OEM accessories. Jut to put things in comparison, a simple Garware 50% film for Ecosport was quoted to be 2.8 - 3K. Extreme on the other hand gave a very sensible rate @1.5K which is in line with what other places charge (1k-1.5k). However i noticed that they are indeed trying to push me Johnson saying they are much better. They were also twice as expensive @3.8k. They probably have tie ups with that brand, but in the end its upto you what you want and how much u want to spend.
Old 5th August 2014, 16:36   #2000
Senior - BHPian

Can someone please let me know where I can get Icecool Shield fixed on my BMW X1 in Bangalore?
Old 5th August 2014, 17:58   #2001
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinu2506 View Post
Can someone please let me know where I can get Icecool Shield fixed on my BMW X1 in Bangalore?
Try calling Meda Window Film.
Any specific reason going for Garware ICS (compared to 3m CR70)
Twiny is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th August 2014, 18:05   #2002
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Shreyas is the guys from Meda who is distributor for Garware. Here's my post from 2 years back with contact info:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
I had got my Figo's front sunfilm installed by Meda Window film based in Bangalore. Fellow T-BHPian Condor and another friend of mine also got it installed from the same guy.

Not many people know about the Garware range and I saw that there was no place where details of Garware tints were available. I asked Shreyas from Meda to send across details of products available currently i.e. the latest range since the website is outdated.

Here's the product range and details from Shreyas:

Contact details: Meda Window films - Shreyas - +91 - 9986502625

Installation is done at your house. You can contact above number for anymore details and pricing.

ps: I am not in anyway associated with Meda/Garware. Purely for benefit of members I asked Shreyas for details on his products and have posted here.
Vid6639 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th August 2014, 22:18   #2003
Senior - BHPian

Folks

I had a casual talk with a colleague who works for a windshield company in Germany. He said that the composition of the front windshield goes like this
2.1 mm thick glass + 0.8 mm thick vinyl + 2.1 mm thick glass.

It is the presence of vinyl that prevents the pieces from falling apart in the event of an accident. Just thought of sharing this info.
Old 6th August 2014, 09:24   #2004
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twiny View Post
Try calling Meda Window Film.
Any specific reason going for Garware ICS (compared to 3m CR70)
No specific reason, just cost. I was running 3M CR70 for few months now, but due to a freak incident last week, the windshield cracked and had to be replaced. Again spending 8K was hurting, so was looking at other options. Is there an issue with the quality or performance of Garware? Also, I'm also interested to know the installation expertise of Shreyas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
Shreyas is the guys from Meda who is distributor for Garware. Here's my post from 2 years back with contact info:
Thanks. Can you please share your feedback on the performance of the film and the installation expertise of Shreyas, for a satisfied user of 3M CR70.
Old 6th August 2014, 09:41   #2005
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Thanks. Can you please share your feedback on the performance of the film and the installation expertise of Shreyas, for a satisfied user of 3M CR70.
You can't go wrong with the CR70. Since it's for a BMW, I would say stick with the CR70.

I used it on my Figo for 2 years. It worked well. Reduced the heat in the cabin, made driving on highways in daytime bearable and reduced the night glare a lot.

Installation guy was experienced but he did one mistake which caused small dots in the top right corner. It didn't bother me till after a year.

Considering the price was 1/3rd of CR-70 I was happy with the result. If I didn't mind spending I would have gone for the CR-70 but decided to give this a try.
Vid6639 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th August 2014, 16:16   #2006
BHPian

Spoke to a gentleman called Vinay from car and style, He gave the quotation as below for my SX4

Re70 - All sides - 4800
CR70 - Front - 7200

Total - 12000

Quote:
Originally Posted by dish View Post
Car & Style, off JC road Bangalore has quoted Rs.8000 RE70 -Front + Back + Sides and Rs.10,000 for Front CR 70 and RE70 for others. This is with bill and 3M guarantee card
Old 11th April 2015, 13:30   #2007
BHPian

I wanted to get Windshield film for my Fiesta, one of the local shop quotes 4K for Garware Icecool and the 3M quoted 8K for CR70 both are claiming 70% visiblity, is there any notable differnce between these two, I have a 700 KMS drive lined up in next weeks, need your help to finalize one of these two
Old 12th April 2015, 11:53   #2008
BHPian

Hi Aravind,
3M CS(Colour Stable) is a cheap film although it is priced high in India. Few of my friends used in UAE and Toyota dealers used to provide as freebies. They are just crap! Heat rejection is less (I don't have the values). The best option is V-Kool, but they are very expensive.
Instead Garware Ice cool does a good job. True value for money. Go for the one which complies with RTO. you have 50% VLT(for sides & Rear), For front (Clear)>70% VLT. Heat rejection is >50%. Cabin temp is within limits and comfort is not compromise. Garware is a good film. Ask for their premium range.
PS:
Opted for Ice Cool Range which comes with 5 year warranty
Ice Cool Shield (VLT70%, HR50%) – for the front Wind shield. Approx Price Rs.2850/
Ice Cool Grand or Ice Cool Elite for the rear and sides. Approx Price Rs.7500/-

Last edited by Velmurugan : 12th April 2015 at 11:55.
Old 12th April 2015, 23:17   #2009
BHPian

Hi Vel,

I saw your message little late by the time I am sold for 3M (CR70), I was asked to wait for 3 days so that the moisture gets completly dried up to know how the film works. By the time I got it done it is already 7 PM and I am yet to figure out the performance of the film, it cost me 8K with 5 Yr warranty.

However the demo that the 3M guy showed was impressive, he has a light which is covered by a box type of thing, one side is of plain glass and another side of the glass was covered with CR70 and we have been asked to feel the heat of the light that passed through both these sides and there is noticeable difference, I will try it out in Chennai sunlight and let you know
Old 13th April 2015, 06:31   #2010
BHPian

Is cr90 film available in Bangalore?

Most Viewed