Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories

Search this Thread
Old 6th March 2016, 07:00   #2041
BHPian

Re: Front windscreen sunfilm?

I have had V kool for front windshield for over five years on my innova and have forgotten that it's even there in many occasions as it's absolutely perfect with being invisible, provides amazing amount of insulation from heat but like the other had mentioned there will be no change in amount of light entering, so if bright light is a issue have to wear sunglasses, any amount of tinting will be dangerous for night driving and illegal, all films are only for heat protection, got them installed at the Toyota showroom, Ravindu Toyota bangalore and it was perfect work and still no issues, even have them in the front door windows which go through a lot of moving up and down and still no scratches, garware is the cheapest and worst, rest a are second best like 3m, lummar, etc, V kool is worth is weight in gold.

Last edited by drkumarmp : 6th March 2016 at 07:04.
Old 8th March 2016, 11:03   #2042
BHPian

Hey guys, can anyone tell me what is the purple/blue tint that is becoming famous these days on front windshield of cars? I would like to get that on my Elite i20. Please help with a reliable dealer and cost involved.
Old 17th March 2016, 15:54   #2043
BHPian

Just got 3M CR70 installed on the front windshield. Have noticed that the heat coming in from the front to have reduced.
Costed me Rs 7.5k Change. Got done at 3M shop at Sarjapur Road. Installation is neat. My primary objective was to reduce the high beam glare during night drives. Heat rejection is a bonus. They quoted 5 year warranty and if any bubbles appear within 1 year, they would attend to it.
Auto Shop quoted 6.8k for 3M CR70 and 2k for Blaupunkt. But since this was closer home and today being a working day, I decided to get it done here. They vaccumed the interior as a compliment. Plus got a 3m microfiber cloth free for a FB checkin.

Last edited by glenmz : 17th March 2016 at 16:08.
Old 17th March 2016, 16:23   #2044
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenmz View Post
They quoted 5 year warranty and if any bubbles appear within 1 year ...
So that would be a one-year five-year warranty, then!

Would like to get CR90, as my Polo already has a tint about equivalent to the CR70 that I had on the previous car, and I do not really want to actually darken it further. 3M Car Care (here at least) does not have the CR90.
Old 17th March 2016, 16:28   #2045
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
So that would be a one-year five-year warranty, then!

Would like to get CR90, as my Polo already has a tint about equivalent to the CR70 that I had on the previous car, and I do not really want to actually darken it further. 3M Car Care (here at least) does not have the CR90.
Yup. I have to believe the 5 year part if for the product. I assume discoloration etc and 1 year for labor related. Incidentally, the 1 year thingie was mentioned while taking the delivery of the car.

And CR90 - I did not find this mentioned in the price / product list here.
Old 20th March 2016, 15:42   #2046
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenmz View Post
And CR90 - I did not find this mentioned in the price / product list here.
I called in at a 3m carcares place the other day. No, they do not sell it. You can find it online when searching for 3m's own product information, which is probably international. From memory, the CR90 only blocks half as much heat/IR as the CR70.

My ideal film would be heat-blocking, but entirely clear. What would come close to that from other manufacturers? I do want an effective, but also long-life, high-quality film. There were absolutely no issues in four years with the CR70 on my previous car.

Why not CR70 again? Probably repeating myself, but the glass is already tinted.
Old 20th March 2016, 20:44   #2047
Team-BHP Support

My Jetta has CR 90 on the front. 4 years on, the film is starting to "craze". This is more apparent at night. I used an older Passat which had th same issue, I thought it was poor quality but now I realise, the film has a limited life. My windscreen has a chip in it. I probably will change the screen later on but I will not go for the film.
ajmat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th March 2016, 22:03   #2048
BHPian

I have a llumar installed on my SX4. This was done way back in 2008 when i bought my car and still does the job well. For the last two years though, it has got a little hazy. This haze creates a difficulty to drive during the nights and i am looking at replacing it with a new one. Just contemplating this decision as i might sell the car by next year.
Old 24th March 2016, 06:41   #2049
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seek View Post
I've got 3M CR70 all around on my storme including the front windshield, done at 3M car care OMR chennai. It's great for heat reduction and absolutely no issue for night driving. Cuts the harshness on oncoming traffic glare. I've had it from day 2 on my vehicle and didn't drive on the first night so can't compare for any reduction in the headlight effectiveness but it's perfect in the current state. Highly recommended barring the issue you may face with cops.
@Seek - How much did this cost you to do all round Storme. Did you do it for the rear as well ? Is there a difference in heat transmission with the sun film ?

I am contemplating doing it for the windshield first and then maybe the side windows. Planning this saturday. Please let me know
Old 24th March 2016, 13:16   #2050
Distinguished - BHPian

Just for the record...

The recently-quoted 3m Carcares price for CR70 for a VW Polo is:

Front: 6690
Sides and back: 14190

Tax is extra, but 10% discount is offered.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th March 2016, 14:03   #2051
BHPian

@ Thad,

If I remember you sold your polo for total loss. Got a polo again?
Ajay_the_Don is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th March 2016, 21:37   #2052
BHPian

I did a Bangalore - Cochin trip after the installation.
Have not noticed much of heat reduction overall since only the front windscreen has the film installed. If I place my hand under the windshield, the sun does not feel that harsh though.

I am feeling a noticeable reduction in the glare. All those jokers who drive around with high beam does not bother me now. I was able to drive much longer without much fatigue. Usually the blinding high beam gives me a headache. Kudos to CR70 for this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Just for the record...

The recently-quoted 3m Carcares price for CR70 for a VW Polo is:

Front: 6690
Sides and back: 14190

Tax is extra, but 10% discount is offered.
3M on Sarjapur rd quoted 7.6k for Front, 5k Change for Rear (Both CR70) and 950 per glass for side (that was RE70). The rates vary according to the car size / class.

Last edited by glenmz : 24th March 2016 at 21:43.
Old 24th March 2016, 22:59   #2053
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by subraiyr View Post
@Seek - How much did this cost you to do all round Storme. Did you do it for the rear as well ? Is there a difference in heat transmission with the sun film ?

I am contemplating doing it for the windshield first and then maybe the side windows. Planning this saturday. Please let me know
Hi subraiyr, I got CR70 done all around including the rear. The plan initially was CR70 only for the windshield but then I changed my mind. It is probably the best decision I took. The sun film is phenomenal in blocking heat. The difference in temperature after parking for 3 hours under the sun in my storme vs another couple of vehicles with non-CR70 films is remarkable. E.g after the parking in the sun you just need to put the AC on 2 and normal mode (only front AC) and within 7-8 mins the beast is cooled down enough to reduce the blower to 1. This is in 37 degrees Chennai heat. It's worth every penny.

However, pls watch out for the cops. I got caught once and was fined a 100Rs.

Attaching the detailed invoice to give clarity on prices. Windshield was approx 7100 incl tax, discount, labour and overall 24.5 K incl tax, discount, labour.

Front windscreen sunfilm?-img_20160324_222655.jpg
Seek is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th March 2016, 21:39   #2054
BHPian

With many new cars coming with a RFID for service tags (my Ecosport has one) on the windshield, how does one ensure that they don't get damaged during installation of sunfilm on the screen.

Just a thought since this was highlighted by one of my friends who got his Jetta completely done with CR70.

Srinath
Attached Thumbnails
Front windscreen sunfilm?-rfid.jpg  

Last edited by srinath34 : 26th March 2016 at 21:49.
Old 26th March 2016, 22:27   #2055
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srinath34 View Post
With many new cars coming with a RFID for service tags (my Ecosport has one) on the windshield,
Oh! So that's what that thing on my car windscreen is! Thanks.

I had been thinking of removing it before getting sunfilm.

Come to think of it, why should I not? I don't need it to identify my car

Most Viewed