Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th March 2016, 13:38   #2056
BHPian

Re: Front windscreen sunfilm?

Quote:
Originally Posted by srinath34 View Post
With many new cars coming with a RFID for service tags (my Ecosport has one) on the windshield, how does one ensure that they don't get damaged during installation of sunfilm on the screen.

Just a thought since this was highlighted by one of my friends who got his Jetta completely done with CR70.

Srinath
Last week I got 3M CR70 film on the front shield of my S-cross and faced the same dilemma. I called my RM and asked what should I do. He in turn called somebody else and this is what I got from them "In case of theft, the car can be traced across tolls as it gets registered when it crosses a toll".

I am not sure how correct the statement is, but I got a go ahead from him that I can remove the RFID. Cutting the film around the RFID would have been ugly to the least.

girish
Old 28th March 2016, 14:51   #2057
Distinguished - BHPian

I think there was at least one sticker under the film on my old car: it never caused any problem at all.
Old 30th March 2016, 12:27   #2058
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srinath34 View Post
With many new cars coming with a RFID for service tags (my Ecosport has one) on the windshield, how does one ensure that they don't get damaged during installation of sunfilm on the screen.

Just a thought since this was highlighted by one of my friends who got his Jetta completely done with CR70.

Srinath
I got CR70 done on the front windshield of my City at 3M center last week. They removed all other stickers such as pollution, PDI etc, except for the RFID sticker. They just pasted the film over it, same as on the plane glass. I requested them not to remove the alarm warning sticker on the driver side glass as well and film was put on the sticker without any issues.
Makin Rulesz is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 30th March 2016, 13:01   #2059
BHPian

3M guys doesn't remove the RFID stickers. They've just applied the film over and you can't find any issues with that. Speaking the same from my own experience.
Jebs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th March 2016, 13:37   #2060
Distinguished - BHPian

Off-topic, but this RFID thing is completely new to me. I can imagine it might even become a legal requirement like a licence place, one day, but... is it really used once the car leaves the factory? Do service stations use it?
Old 31st March 2016, 13:25   #2061

I went for 3M cr70 sunfilm couple of days back in Gurgaon along with Paint Sealant essential for my new Vento TSI at their workshop at golf course road.

They provide a demo of cr70 heat reducing capability in their customer lounge. They don't remove the RFID tag, film was applied over it. Although any parking stickers, pollution control sticker will be removed. I went for front windscreen and two windows (Driver and passenger). At rear windscreen I have installed a rolling curtain due to defogger.

Installation was pretty neat and I can instantly feel the difference in heat coming into the car. Good thing is from outside its difficult to find any difference between window with film and without film. They agreed to do the total work in 16k. (Paint Sealant essential, Front WS and two windows cr70 Sunfilm).

Also received a free car wash coupon (worth around 400) as I was bargaining more.

I also captured an image of their pricing sheet for Sunfilm which I am attaching.

Cheers!!

Front windscreen sunfilm?-image.jpeg

Last edited by Aditya : 11th April 2016 at 07:12. Reason: Correcting image orientation
BrownBeastTSI is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st April 2016, 22:39   #2062
Senior - BHPian

Today I called 3M Thane and asked about sun film for the SX4 and they told me 25,500 for the entire car with CR-70 .

Also got a quote of 7,500 for entire car with Llumar Air 80 from another place. I'll mostly go in for Llumar.
straight6 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2016, 16:55   #2063
Senior - BHPian

So today I called a shop in Mahim for the dash kit of my SX4 and he happened to have the 3M CR70 as well. Gave me a quote of 7k for entire car! I found that unbelievable and told him how much 3M quoted but he said that's his price. He said there's a 3 year warranty too.

Shop is Car Touch. Website is dhcindia.com.

Last edited by straight6 : 2nd April 2016 at 16:58.
Old 2nd April 2016, 19:05   #2064

Quote:
Originally Posted by straight6 View Post
So today I called a shop in Mahim for the dash kit of my SX4 and he happened to have the 3M CR70 as well. Gave me a quote of 7k for entire car! I found that unbelievable and told him how much 3M quoted but he said that's his price. He said there's a 3 year warranty too.

Shop is Car Touch. Website is dhcindia.com.
I went to the famous Lajpat Nagar market in Delhi, where few shops were doing the 'so called' 3M sun film for 1500 Rs. Obviously I didn't go for it as it was duplicate.

Just make sure that the they are doing the original 3M sunfilm, else even 7k is much higher. Make sure that they provide you the demonstration for heat reduction. May be check about 3M dealers online.

I think it's the same case like we buy a sunglasses. Original RayBan cost really high but some local shops sell it for 500 bucks as well. Then there is local street shops where we can get those for 150 bucks as well. Question is will it block the UV rays and heat???
Old 2nd April 2016, 19:32   #2065
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrownBeastTSI View Post
I went to the famous Lajpat Nagar market in Delhi, where few shops were doing the 'so called' 3M sun film for 1500 Rs. Obviously I didn't go for it as it was duplicate.

Just make sure that the they are doing the original 3M sunfilm, else even 7k is much higher. Make sure that they provide you the demonstration for heat reduction. May be check about 3M dealers online.

I think it's the same case like we buy a sunglasses. Original RayBan cost really high but some local shops sell it for 500 bucks as well. Then there is local street shops where we can get those for 150 bucks as well. Question is will it block the UV rays and heat???
Well, he just called back and told me that he actually has only the RE series for 12k for entire car and some "imported" 3M film which is slightly tinted for 8k entire car with bill and warranty.

Coming to sunglasses, I wear only Maui Jims now . I stopped wearing RayBans long back because they are heavier and also the reason you gave, though I had always bought them from listed dealers.

Last edited by straight6 : 2nd April 2016 at 19:34.
Old 5th April 2016, 20:50   #2066
BHPian

Went to the 3M place for the nomad mat for the driver seat as the 3D mat had ripped in the heel area due to constant abrasion.

The person there mentioned that I can get an extra piece of rexine added to the heel area to prevent the mat from getting ripped soon. Cost me 1660 for 5 square feet.

Planning for CR70 for the front windshield, have been quoted 8100 and a time of 1.5 hours.

I need to figure out a way to remove and reinstall the parking stickers from my workplace as it is well nigh impossible to get a new parking sticker. Any ideas?
Old 5th April 2016, 20:56   #2067
Distinguished - BHPian

Do photochromic glasses darken inside 3m CR70?
Old 5th April 2016, 22:42   #2068
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by batterylow View Post
I need to figure out a way to remove and reinstall the parking stickers from my workplace as it is well nigh impossible to get a new parking sticker. Any ideas?
Normally 3M guys remove the sticker without any damage to it, by heating the front side of the glass and you can stick them again after installing the sunfilms.
I normally do not stick them directly on the glass for this very reason. All my stickers are first pasted onto transparent plastic and then i use the cello tape to hold them against the glass. This way very i could take my second car to office, where they provide only one sticker due to parking space constraints.
Makin Rulesz is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 6th April 2016, 15:15   #2069
Senior - BHPian

Blaupunkt has a series called intelligent. They are photochromic films that darken in the sun. I don't think they're available here.
Old 7th April 2016, 00:03   #2070
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by straight6 View Post
Blaupunkt has ... photochromic films
I was talking about glasses as in spectacles. Confusing word, maybe. But photochromic sun film would be wonderful. I think they use this sort of technology for big glass buildings?

Especially for the front windscreen, I'd buy photochromic film straight away, if I could possibly afford it, I suspect that I wouldn't be able to

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks