Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th May 2018, 15:09   #2236
BHPian

Re: 3M sunfilm on 'windscreen' for Audi A4?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLACKBLADE View Post
I have CR 70 on my windscreen, and it doesn't look like there is sun film applied at all.
When viewing from outside does CR 70 look like a greenish tint on the glass? Or is it blackish?
Old 27th May 2018, 16:16   #2237
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackwasp View Post
Rule states 'glass' not tints. If you fix tinted glasses or have OEM glasses e.g. Baleno glasses (UV cut ones on the top models), that is OK. Police will stop you if they notice the films and tear it out and fine you.
My bad . I didn't know that, all sunfilms are banned. Just googled to find the relevant court ruling regarding interpretation of the rule.I thought that since the visibility is as good as plain glass, I am good to go. Got to remove the sunfilms soon.

To the OP and the benefit of others, below is a link to the thread on legal alternatives.

Link
BLACKBLADE is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 27th May 2018, 17:14   #2238
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyer View Post
When viewing from outside does CR 70 look like a greenish tint on the glass? Or is it blackish?
You won't be able to notice any difference from that of a normal glass. Definitely no green or black tinge.
jumanji is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th May 2018, 18:46   #2239
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jumanji View Post
You won't be able to notice any difference from that of a normal glass. Definitely no green or black tinge.

You will have a light blue / green tint. Due to Beige interiors the interior still looks bright and I haven't been stopped yet in both my cars.

My Civic is running for 6 years now, longer than the 5 year warranty by 3M and it hasn't deteriorated yet. Believe it lasts for another 2-3 years. Have CS50 for sides and rear which is no longer available off the shelf.

Last edited by GTO : 28th May 2018 at 09:42. Reason: typos
varunanb is offline   (1) Thanks Received Infraction
Old 28th May 2018, 15:35   #2240
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackwasp View Post
Rule states 'glass' not tints.
Yes.

Usage of tinted films in car windscreen / windows has been banned by the Supreme Court of India since 2012.

I googled for the judgement copy and attached herewith.
blackfilms.pdf

This judgement was given citing the Rule 100 of the Motor Vehicles Rules, 1989

Excerpts of the judgement :

Clause 26 of the judgement : The manufacturer of the vehicle may manufacture the vehicles with tinted glasses which have Visual Light Transmission (VLT) of safety glasses windscreen (front and rear) as 70 per cent VLT and side glasses as 40 per cent VLT, respectively. No black film or any other material can be pasted on the windscreens and side glasses of a vehicle.

Clause 27 of the judgement. For the reasons afore-stated, we prohibit the use of black films of any VLT percentage or any other material upon the
safety glasses, windscreens (front and rear) and side glasses of all vehicles throughout the country. The Home Secretary,Director General/Commissioner of Police of the respective States/Center shall ensure compliance with this direction.The directions contained in this judgment shall become operative and enforceable with effect from 4th May, 2012.

Clause 25 of the judgement. The competent officer of the traffic police or any other authorized person shall challan such vehicles for violating
Rules 92 and 100 of the Rules with effect from the specified date and thereupon shall also remove the black films from the offending vehicles

Trust, it helps and clarifies.
tstlnt is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 7th November 2018, 19:53   #2241
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Front windscreen sunfilm?

Heard that Saint Gobain is entering the sunfilm market soon, at a level between Garware and 3M. From initial info I got, the film from Saint Gobain would like 3M's PR70 at a price approximately that of CR70. Waiting for more info.
Old 8th November 2018, 16:06   #2242
Distinguished - BHPian

More details on the Sungard film from Saint Gobain:

Front windscreen sunfilm?-stgobainsungard.jpg

Was speaking to Shreyas of Meda Window for another round of film - this time for my cousin's Trax Toofan. Yesterday, the Toofan got Garware film applied all around. Shreyas mentioned he would be taking up the Saint Gobain film, to offer along side the Garware - so that he can offer two options here.

Last edited by condor : 8th November 2018 at 16:27.
condor is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 8th November 2018, 18:22   #2243
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Heard that Saint Gobain is entering the sunfilm market soon ... ... ...

I wonder if they've heard of the court order?
Thad E Ginathom is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 8th November 2018, 18:47   #2244
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
I wonder if they've heard of the court order?
Sir, what makes you think that they would not have ?
Old 8th November 2018, 20:52   #2245
Distinguished - BHPian

Hang on, let me take my tongue out of my cheek.

I'm sure they have heard of it, Who hasn't! Just... Assuming they are actually targeting the motor market, and not home/office windows, it is a bit strange to be introducing a new product for sale that is basically illegal to use.
Thad E Ginathom is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 8th November 2018, 21:51   #2246
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
what makes you think that they would not have ?
This very thread.

A few posts back, we had come across this very useful information:
Quote:
Originally Posted by tstlnt View Post
Usage of tinted films in car windscreen / windows has been banned by the Supreme Court of India since 2012...

Clause 27 of the judgement. For the reasons afore-stated, we prohibit the use of black films of any VLT percentage or any other material upon the
safety glasses, windscreens (front and rear) and side glasses of all vehicles throughout the country. The Home Secretary,Director General/Commissioner of Police of the respective States/Center shall ensure compliance with this direction.The directions contained in this judgment shall become operative and enforceable with effect from 4th May, 2012.
Quote:
it is a bit strange to be introducing a new product for sale that is basically illegal to use.
Well said!
dailydriver is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th November 2018, 22:32   #2247
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
it is a bit strange to be introducing a new product for sale that is basically illegal to use.
True but so are LED bulbs, bull bars on SUV, engine remaps, louder horns and other stuff.

Only thing was that sun film got more attention.

Also, a lot of cars do have the 3M 70 films since they are nearly transparent and don't reduce visibility. 3M sells well.
Vid6639 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 8th November 2018, 23:09   #2248
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dailydriver View Post
This very thread.
Everyone is aware of this. Them, more than us. It affects their business, their revenue. For us it is comparatively just a very small exposure.

So my question still remains - what makes people think that companies who are into an area of work / product / service, are not aware of rules & regulations of their area ? And Saint Gobain or Garware are not today's start-ups.

---
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
True but so are LED bulbs, bull bars on SUV, engine remaps, louder horns and other stuff.

Also, a lot of cars do have the 3M 70 films since they are nearly transparent and don't reduce visibility. 3M sells well.
Thanks for mentioning these, Viddy.

Engine remaps may be more car specific, some of these are more conspicuous with the associated exhaust modifications. LED bulbs cause so much more inconvenience. And horns ? Even these Can be such a pain. ( As part of the accessories on the same Toofan, I got a set of Red-Grilles installed and only then realised how loud it can be).

--------

Like many others, I personally feel that the ruling itself is suspect. There are modifications that are causing far more trouble to many more than a light film on one's car that actually helps the people inside the car without causing problems to those outside.

But this point will open a topic that has been beaten to death, and wont add any new information. My post has been to share information that I got, to people who are interested. Those interested would go ahead on their own volition.

Last edited by condor : 8th November 2018 at 23:18.
condor is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 8th November 2018, 23:27   #2249
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Are you sure it does not reduce visibility?

I am sure they do. It is after all another layer on top of the glass which itself has a few layers of its own as it is laminated. The heat reduction and all that is over rated, it is already a laminated glass.

So never add any film to your windshield, it's for your own safety.

Coming to the side glass, If your vehicle for whatever reason has come with a non greenish looking plain glass, you may find sun film useful, it may block some amount of UV rays and visible light. There aren't too much harmful UV rays around by the way, else it would have been harmful to us when we walk outside. If your vehicle came with a slightly greenish side glass, it's already doing the sun film's work, don't bother with aftermarket sunfilm.

One interesting (to me , not so for the owner) aspect is that in my friend's car that has a really expensive llumar sunfilm on the windshield , fastag won't work!
Old 8th November 2018, 23:33   #2250
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosfactor View Post
Are you sure it does not reduce visibility?

I am sure they do. It is after all another layer on top of the glass which itself has a few layers of its own as it is laminated. The heat reduction and all that is over rated, it is already a laminated glass.

So never add any film to your windshield, it's for your own safety.
Well I was the amongst the first to get the Garware film for my front windshield in 2012:

Quote:
After some deliberation I have decided to go for Garware Icecool Shield 70%VLT for my Figo front windscreen. It's parked outside at work and summer time is causing my AC to work doubly hard. The sides already have 3M CS20.

For some reason I just could could not justify the nearly 3X cost of the 3M CR70. Going by condor and anujmishra, Garware is around 2.8K but CR70 costs 7.7K.

Will get it done this saturday and post an update.
I used it till I sold the car in 2014 and I'm currently driving fellow mod Rudra Sen's Optra with 3M CR70 on the front with no issues in day or night driving for few years now.

Quote:
One interesting (to me , not so for the owner) aspect is that in my friend's car that has a really expensive llumar sunfilm on the windshield , fastag won't work!
Pretty normal for the films that have metallic particles in them. The Fastag will not detect due to this.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks