Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories

Search this Thread
Old 19th April 2005, 15:05   #16
BHPian

hmmm, I used to think that the glass shatters in 'beads' so that the occupants are not injured, and the shattering absorbs energy therefore anything that interferes with thsi is not safe since it'll not dissipate energy properly.

will do some research on this after office an get back. Any other views, anyone?

You can also buy those screens that you can pull across the screen when you have parked your veh.
simran is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th April 2005, 15:11   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by simran
hmmm, I used to think that the glass shatters in 'beads' so that the occupants are not injured, and the shattering absorbs energy therefore anything that interferes with thsi is not safe since it'll not dissipate energy properly.

will do some research on this after office an get back. Any other views, anyone?

You can also buy those screens that you can pull across the screen when you have parked your veh.
Safety glass used on automobiles still shatters on impact. The difference now is that almost all vehicles come with laminated glasses that hold the shattered beads together without sending it into the car.

At least, thats the general idea.
Old 19th April 2005, 15:48   #18
BHPian

Found this on the net:

Laminated safety glass is a "sandwich" made by combining alternate layers of flat glass and plastics. The outside layer of glass may break when struck by an object, but the plastic layer is elastic and so it stretches. The plastic holds the broken pieces of glass together and keeps them from flying in all directions. Laminated glass is used where broken glass might cause serious injuries, as in automobile windshields.

Tempered safety glass, unlike laminated glass, is a single piece that has been given a special heat treatment. It looks, feels, and weighs the same as ordinary glass. But it can be several times stronger. Tempered glass is used widely for all-glass doors in stores, side and rear windows of automobiles, and basketball backboards, and for other special purposes. It is hard to break even when hit with a hammer. When it does break, the whole piece of glass collapses into small, dull-edged fragments.

doubts cleared!

The film sounds Ok now. Does anyone in Pune do this sort of thing? Sounds like a good thing esp since the summers are here, and this thing would help the A/C cool faster as well.
Old 19th April 2005, 15:54   #19
BHPian

Also another interesting article:

But of course at the same time you make the glass much less susceptible to breakage and ejections out in an accident. Two European manufacturers, Audi and BMW, have introduced laminated side glass, they're calling it theft protection glass, I believe, as an option on some of their high end models. So there's starting to become some awareness of the opportunity to improve automobiles in this area and I hope it happens.

Well the story very simple.. simply is that in side impact accidents or rollover accidents if the occupant stays inside the vehicle envelope, the probability of serious or permanent injury is very very low. If they get out, even just an arm gets out or a leg gets out or a head gets out, the probability of very serious, fatal or serious injury is very high.

And it's possible to have glass and glazing on automobiles that will basically prevent ejection from automobiles in most typical side impact or rollover accidents. And it's particularly important today with the growing availability of minivans and sport utility vehicles which have a high centre of gravity, are more rollover prone than passenger cars and the incidents of rollover accidents is growing, and ejections and fatalities and injuries are growing with it. And it can be prevented.

Website: http://www.cbc.ca/consumers/market/f...fordtrans.html

-simran
Old 19th April 2005, 16:34   #20
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Samurai,

On the side and rear glasses, film is a necessity over the Indian summers.

Buttttttttttttttttttt I DONT recommend any film on the front screen. Reason? No matter how well its fitted, vision will always be a little blurred - moreso at some delicate curves of the glass. I have seen Vkool film on the front glass and all of these other brands fitted by company chaps on various cars...the end result on the front screen is the same. If not when brand new, then certainly within a handful of months.

I am really particular about not having scratches and rough edges on the front. It can get pretty irritating over extended drives. I find a good grade of sunfilm on the side and rear glass to be more than sufficient.

GTO
GTO is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th April 2005, 16:34   #21
BHPian

You can also buy those screens that you can pull across the screen when you have parked your veh.[/quote]

i agree with you that you can get the pull across screens but they will not be able to stop the heat completely from getting inside the vehicle and also when the car is parked in hot sun steering wheel, the horn , the gear knob get so how that it burns the skin. there are steering covers available but nothing available for the horn or the gear knob. so i think film for hte w/s is a better option. i will also post the results of putting film on the windsheild of my car.

btw i applaud your interest & knowledge on this topic.

shubbhi
Old 19th April 2005, 20:22   #22
BHPian

So, it comes to functionality vs distortions in the film.

My take is that if the film was that good, it would come as a std in the top-end models. therefore, it has not passed tests of manufacturers, and they probably have done enough research on this. Distortion is irritating and might be dangerous at night.

Personally, i'd not put this film, but would get the one that you can roll and hook on the other side while parking.

Simran
Old 19th April 2005, 20:36   #23
Senior - BHPian

rs 600 in hyderabad

most of my friends have it, mostly for privacy issues rahter than sun

u can see clearly(slight prob in nights) from inside,from out side nothing at all!

waiting for dad to agree for my safari( i need it for the sun!!! not privacy!!! :-) )

ps: if any hyd guys want the place where they can get it done for rs 600, pm me, as i dont wanna mention the names of the car shops. no unnecessary publicity.

Last edited by aadix : 19th April 2005 at 20:39.
Old 20th April 2005, 00:05   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO
Buttttttttttttttttttt I DONT recommend any film on the front screen. Reason? No matter how well its fitted, vision will always be a little blurred - moreso at some delicate curves of the glass. I have seen Vkool film on the front glass and all of these other brands fitted by company chaps on various cars...the end result on the front screen is the same. If not when brand new, then certainly within a handful of months.................
GTO I'd disagree there. We have V Kool on the mercs and 3M on other cars here - no problems with vision whether at night otherwise and no issues with scratches.

Others who have put similar 'clear film' which is not so well known have suffered, though.

We live in a place where sun control is a necessity, and I would recommend the frontscreen film to anyone. It is expensive, but it does a bulk of the cooling.
Old 20th April 2005, 05:38   #25
BHPian

hey people this topic has become very interesting..well everything that i could think of posting is already mentioned here..and one thing is for a fact V-Kool rules for life...it's just class sun control..well it comes with a price but its value for money..and well all i can say is driver visibility doesn't get affected with the use of V-Kool clear type film...though the cheap immitations will lead to hamper the view...there are very few stockist of V-Kool here in bombay..so that may be the reason of immitations entering the local market..well the other market leaders here are Llumnar which is a decent sun control film for indian standards...and then we have garware which is way too local..but it does serve the purpose for about 6 months after that the film starts getting a bluish fade on it...well the sun control film plays a vital role during day and night driving both...so V-Kool is the way to go...during the day it blocks the Uv on the front screen and in the night it doesnt even affect visibility as it's a clear type...well they also help in a major way during accidents..some of my very clsoe friends have gone through some major accidents in the past in an accent,a santro and a honda city..wel all these cars the wind shields were smashed and the only thing holding the glass was the sun control film..which bought them some time to get out of the car...so well it's multi purpose...and why not spend that extra buck when it comes to driving pleasure and safety...hehe...cheers...!!

Last edited by dragger : 20th April 2005 at 05:40. Reason: Spell Check
Old 20th April 2005, 10:58   #26
Senior - BHPian

well ,

i have a v-kool on the front w/s of the S10 and it does do a good job of cooling. and on the other hand , have a nice garware 35 tint on the ikon front w/s , that too does a wonderful job....

visibility issues - none on both cars ( the ikon film has been scratched at a few places but thankfully they on the edges and away from line of vision )

cost - the v-kool costs the sky while garware is the cheapest option

cheers
Old 20th April 2005, 11:10   #27
Team-BHP Support

I have the same doubts as GTO. i.e. worried about the film getting scratched and hazy in time. What happens if the film starts to peel off? Can it be removed and replaced or will it leave behind a sticky residue?
Old 20th April 2005, 11:13   #28
Senior - BHPian

yes it can easily be removed and replaced without any residue remainig or also you can remove it too without leaving any marks!!
Old 20th April 2005, 14:10   #29
Senior - BHPian

when u remove the film, there will be a slight residue,but that would be removed using some cleaner

seen the installations of the front films, the guys who do it are nothing short of genius artists(not every one is allowed to do the front windshields at the places i know,there is only one guy who knows how to do it and only he is allowed,once we waited for 3 hrs for him). not even a single stratch, it's like they have been doing it for ages!

Last edited by aadix : 20th April 2005 at 14:11.
Old 20th April 2005, 17:20   #30
dev
BHPian

How much it costs for Front windshield for a gareWare?
And also the side glassess?

it is for an Ikon.
-thanks

Most Viewed